List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Also, with all the frothing over Hewett, it looks like people have indeed forgotten Culley.

View attachment 1771048

Hewett due to the lower number of games is affected more by low stat games. How often was Culley sub? Hewett was sub 3 or 4 times wasnt he? Also, his stats would be affected by getting knocked out in the first 10 minutes by DeGoey.

Regardless, agree Culley looks a gun.

Hewett due to the lower number of games is affected more by low stat games. How often was Culley sub? Hewett was sub 3 or 4 times wasnt he? Also, his stats would be affected by getting knocked out in the first 10 minutes by DeGoey.

Hewett's played 2 more games.

Of course, he was knocked out in one of those.

The post wasn't to disparage Hewett in any way shape or form though. More to point out to the poster that Culley isn't deficient in the areas he thinks he is.

Sweet's 25 and Bryan's 22, both younger than English. Doubt either would come if we're selling them a stop gap for a year position.
They are back-up ruckmen, that's their lot in life, they are on standby for injuries and in some cases, like Vardy, they become premiership players. The Eagles aren't going to hold off on grabbing what they consider an A-grade ruck because they have a C-grade one on the list.

Different players as well.

Having Culley + Ginbey as mids who can balance attack with defence will match well with guys like Hewett and (hopefully) Reid who are generally more offensive than defensive.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They are back-up ruckmen, that's their lot in life, they are on standby for injuries and in some cases, like Vardy, they become premiership players. The Eagles aren't going to hold off on grabbing what they consider an A-grade ruck because they have a C-grade one on the list.

Couldn't agree more. The mix is perfect. Ginbey, Reid and Hewett all appear to have some aerial prowess too.

I think that there are a variety of reasons that Payton has slid.

1. He is not a pure KPD Height wise more a tweener.
2.a. Yes the SA champs hurt him somewhat as they really underperformed as a unit.
2.b. His academy games have been pretty good, so that negates point 2 somewhat for me.
3. He plays a conservative no frills unsexy style of football and as such doesn’t appeal to the fan boys as much as some others.

IMO he will be a 200 game player for whoever calls his name out.

Where as Hardeman for me hasn’t got any standout qualities but is good at most things, IMO he is a safe pick but I don’t see him as value at 19.

I see Torrent having just as many AFL qualities as Hardeman but he gets very little love on draft boards.

Having said all that, our recruiters have shown previously that they have a liking for safe picks and will go that way more often than taking a boom or bust player.

By way of example I would take Moir ahead of Hardeman, but I doubt that our recruiters would.
If Hardeman is there at our 2nd which will end up 24-25 we should take him but I think he will go before then .

I like moir I think his forward game will translate into the midfield with his power and kicking abilities its a shame his production hasn't transitioned this year and is probably why he has dropped .

1 Reid , 19 Hardeman, 33 moir ?

Nice highlights package of the younger Jiath but there’s an academy application pending for him to be able to join his brother at Hawthorn who was also a NGA apparently

There was also this in the linked article

Whilst we’re looking at using 4-5 picks, a number of clubs may only be using as few as 2 live picks

Means those late picks of ours in the fifties aren’t going to be worth much in any trade negotiations that aren’t accumulating points

Maybe we can find another Long late in the draft this year when the other clubs are packing up

Hmm, maybe but it's a long shot.

Reckon thats harsh on Bryan who i reckon can play, but maybe we've take the view that rucks just aren't that important and why spend up big on them? At least that's what I'm hoping. Plus 5 rucks on the list is too many imo

Also would be pretty weird for Sweet to come over to get away from being English's backup, only for English to come over a year later

If Hardeman is there at our 2nd which will end up 24-25 we should take him but I think he will go before then .

I like moir I think his forward game will translate into the midfield with his power and kicking abilities its a shame his production hasn't transitioned this year and is probably why he has dropped .

1 Reid , 19 Hardeman, 33 moir ?
I'd still be happy to split 19. I think the 2nd Round is quite even across the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't access but the important bits in the title anyway. Might quell the English speculation if we get one of Sweet or Bryan
Hope we get Bryan.

Not sure what he costs in a trade

It’s crazy, but that is also hugely to our benefit.

Suggestions are the draft could see 55-60 players taken. So 3.3ish players per team average. A few teams will take 2 picks in, a lot will take 3. A few more may take 4 and only a couple (us included) will have 5+ list spots open.

Because we will have a number of available rookie spots as well we should have up to 7 ‘live’ points carrying picks we can take in.

Something to work with there with the teams chasing points.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Rookie list spots don't count towards the national draft.

If you have 5 senior list spots available, then you can take 5 picks to the national draft.

If you have a further 2 rookie spots available, they only count in the rookie draft.

Nizzy was confident Rioli was gunna re-sign last year too.

That was before the wheels fell off the deal.

Just sayin.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
A bit different. I don't think Rioli ever formally entered contract negotiations, just had one in front of him.

Nisbett's comments about Culley were pretty definitive. Add to that Gavin Bell mentioned a couple of weeks ago that they were looking to extend.

I think Rhino also mentioned when Culley went back for his ACL that he was keen to stay at WCE and was seeking a new contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back