List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
I like the cut of Charlie Edwards jib to be honest. If we split our pick 19 i wouldn't mind using a pick on him and a pick on swinging dick Collard.

Has Edwards got enough midfield runs on the board or too speculative?

Given our previous grim history of successfully drafting and developing mids, I'd say it's probably the latter unfortunately.

Remember theSwans want to draft him. So if we cut their lunch its not technically our choice its was their's.......we just stole it.

Swans arent bad at drafting mids.;)

I like the cut of Charlie Edwards jib to be honest. If we split our pick 19 i wouldn't mind using a pick on him and a pick on swinging dick Collard.

Has Edwards got enough midfield runs on the board or too speculative?

Given our previous grim history of successfully drafting and developing mids, I'd say it's probably the latter unfortunately.

Everyone gets mad that we went through a period of drafting half back flankers as speculative mids. But the reality is this:

The kids in the u18s who don't quite make the midfield spots, often get shunted to the flanks. So they can play midfield, just they were 6th or 7th in line.

When you have picks in the teens, or 20s, all the gun mids are gone. So sometimes you take a punt on an u18 second string mid who played the carnival off half back. The reality is, it's not a surprise a lot of those picks don't make it. Most kids drafted late 1st, early 2nd, don't make it.

This kid plays like Bont. Total speculation he'll end up 2/3 of Bont, but any other pick at this mark is also a rank guess.

Very interesting that a more ruthless approach has coincided with O’Brien’s move to list manager, including last year with Langdon delisted despite a year to run, Nelson who was a regular and Redden who probably got nudged a year early. Couple that with some excellent draft moves last year and it’s funny to think how much flak he copped around here.

If Dylan Stephens makes it to North and they also get to match a bid on Colonel Sanders, there’s every chance North overlook McKercher (despite being more talented) and take Curtin and Watson due to list need. With Hawks seemingly committed to Duursma we should be throwing the kitchen sink at Gold Coast to get pick 4 and thus McKercher if that’s the way the cards fall. I floated similar to this earlier but I think this could get the job done for all 3 clubs and easily be better than the Dogs offer for GCS pick.

WCE:
OUT: F1 (1), 19, 35, 38, 54, 57 (4389 points)
IN: 4, 9, 20 (3467 points)

Crows:
OUT: 9, 20, 23, F1 (9) (4665 points)
IN: 32, 35, 38 WCE F1 (1) (4571 points)

Gold Coast:
OUT: 4, 32 (2618 points)
IN: 19, 23, 54, 57 Crows F1 (9) (3634 points)

Eagles: 1,4,9,20

Crows 2024 likely pick 1 or 2, get Draper before a bid on Welsh
GCS: +1016 points and can split 19 again

We take 1,4,9,20 to the draft

1-Reid
4-McKercher
9-O’Sullivan/Murphy/Wilson
19-Hardeman/DeMattia/Tholstrup

If Dylan Stephens makes it to North and they also get to match a bid on Colonel Sanders, there’s every chance North overlook McKercher (despite being more talented) and take Curtin and Watson due to list need. With Hawks seemingly committed to Duursma we should be throwing the kitchen sink at Gold Coast to get pick 4 and thus McKercher if that’s the way the cards fall. I floated similar to this earlier but I think this could get the job done for all 3 clubs and easily be better than the Dogs offer for GCS pick.

WCE:
OUT: F1 (1), 19, 35, 38, 54, 57 (4389 points)
IN: 4, 9, 20 (3467 points)

Crows:
OUT: 9, 20, 23, F1 (9) (4665 points)
IN: 32, 35, 38 WCE F1 (1) (4571 points)

Gold Coast:
OUT: 4, 32 (2618 points)
IN: 19, 23, 54, 57 Crows F1 (9) (3634 points)

Eagles: 1,4,9,20

Crows 2024 likely pick 1 or 2, get Draper before a bid on Welsh
GCS: +1016 points and can split 19 again

We take 1,4,9,20 to the draft

1-Reid
4-McKercher
9-O’Sullivan/Murphy/Wilson
19-Hardeman/DeMattia/Tholstrup
I cant see Adelaide ever agreeing to this but it is entertaining thought.

Very interesting that a more ruthless approach has coincided with O’Brien’s move to list manager, including last year with Langdon delisted despite a year to run, Nelson who was a regular and Redden who probably got nudged a year early. Couple that with some excellent draft moves last year and it’s funny to think how much flak he copped around here.
Sort of ironic given he drafted all these blokes as the recruiting manager...

Very happy with the list management decisions so far. As no news has come to hand RE Trew receiving a contract or being delisted, I feel the club is waiting to see if we pick up Dev Robertson in the trade period before making a call on his future. Personally I am happy either way if he stays or goes. Ideally next year Trew isn't pushing the AFL side (as we have a moderate injury list and better mids are playing well and holding their spot), so if anything he will be good for the WAFL side.

SPS was the only one that somewhat surprised me, however he isn't going to be around at our next push for finals and probably isn't an older player who younger guys can lean on to set high standards and push the group, so happy enough to let him go.

He's done well hey. Maybe it's useful having him over east, can be a bit more objective.

He's also the first list manager we've had in ages that has been empowered to build a list.

The Rawlings/Simpson era was topping up talent for a flag and Vozzo/Glass was a mess and last gasp stuff.

Something to be said for having a list manager that has experience in drafting, trading etc and not a random ex assistant coach.

Before we all start giving Ruthless Elton a pat on the back...

From memory this is the same genius who gave a clearly broken 32 yr old Naitanui a 2 year contract after only scraping 8 games in 2022.

Passing on another selection in the mid season draft mind you, then only days later putting Naitanui on the LTI list.

The same bloke that apparently still had an offer on the table for an even more broken Shuey.

McGovern just got a 2 year extension which probably wasn't necessary at this point in his career, at the age of 31 after only managing 46 games in the last 4 seasons.

Baby steps I guess. We'll see how he goes handling Gaffs contract at the end of 2024

People seem really put out of shape by the Gov/Naitanui/Gaff deals but I've always seen them as sweetheart deals to reward players who've done a lot for the club (and potentially cut team-friendly deals at other points in there careers). It's never bothered me because with the state of the list we aren't being squeezed for cap room nor list space. I wouldn't focus on it too much tbh.

On Waterman, I think people are underrating him a bit. Showed good form when given a larger role and at 25 (health permitting) should be coming into his peak years now. Don't know the exact terms he's after but would be happy to have - he's far from our worst and in an age bracket we are lacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory this is the same genius who gave a clearly broken 32 yr old Naitanui a 2 year contract after only scraping 8 games in 2022.

Passing on another selection in the mid season draft mind you, then only days later putting Naitanui on the LTI list.

The same bloke that apparently still had an offer on the table for an even more broken Shuey.

McGovern just got a 2 year extension which probably wasn't necessary at this point in his career, at the age of 31 after only managing 46 games in the last 4 seasons.

Baby steps I guess. We'll see how he goes handling Gaffs contract at the end of 2024

Mostly fair points, and my pure speculation here, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was given a direction to allow the veterans to stay on if they wanted to from higher ups.

IMV the Naitanui LTI call is an indictment on the medical staff; a list manager can only act on the medical advice in that situation.

I'm ok with Naitanui and Shuey offers. They obviously discussed what would happen if their bodies failed. They both pulled the plug.

McGovern is fine as well. Giving an extra season to the players that can actually win games when healthy is fine. Especially when they'll pull the plug if really cooked as they've made their money. Giving extra seasons for plodders is the real killer.

I'm certain those decisions were heavily influenced by Simpson, Nisbett, the club etc.

Mid year everybody pulled their heads out of the sand, that directive changed - and they gave Rohan the keys.

In previous years we would have given Culley/Witherden 2 years no questions asked. That's a change of direction.

Gaff, waterman, trew, rotham and edwards should also pack their bags - delist these spuds / list cloggers already.
You need to acquaint yourself with the contracts thread.Gaff.Rotham,Edwards x 2 have one year left on their contracts.We do need to delist at least three players next year to comply with AFL rules.All the guys who retired or delisted this year were out of contract except for NicNat who retired with one year left on his contract.
So far we have nine retirements/delist and if Waterman doesn't want to stay that could become ten.
That is more than enough

I cant see Adelaide ever agreeing to this but it is entertaining thought.
I put it to a few on the Crows board a while back and opinion ranged from no way to not a bad deal at all. Obviously just high risk high reward for them but their best chance of getting pick 1 next year I would have thought. I reckon they’ll play finals too which will diminish the value of their F1 so they could well win on that front too.

Keeping Trew for now, might be getting DevRob dependent! As both play a similar role and similar age, so if we do land Dev we might still see Trew go?
Likely keep both though, as we did just clean out a lot of WAFL mids.

I know the golden rule is don't read Facebook posts - my bad!!!

SEN ones about pick 1 pulls out all the numpties, I've read the following comment at least 10-12 times on various posts about it.

"If WCE want Curtin that bad, they should use pick 1 on him or face the risk of missing out on him."

This is then followed by multiple likes!!! WTF!!!

Why would we use pick 1 on 3-5th best player in the draft when there is a generational talent in the draft? Makes your head spin...

I'm certain those decisions were heavily influenced by Simpson, Nisbett, the club etc.

Mid year everybody pulled their heads out of the sand, that directive changed - and they gave Rohan the keys.

In previous years we would have given Culley/Witherden 2 years no questions asked. That's a change of direction.
Culley should have been given two years imo, he'll need a large chunk of next year to recover and I doubt he'll show us his best until the year after....if he's still with us

I know the golden rule is don't read Facebook posts - my bad!!!

SEN ones about pick 1 pulls out all the numpties, I've read the following comment at least 10-12 times on various posts about it.

"If WCE want Curtin that bad, they should use pick 1 on him or face the risk of missing out on him."

This is then followed by multiple likes!!! WTF!!!

Why would we use pick 1 on 3-5th best player in the draft when there is a generational talent in the draft? Makes your head spin...
You should go back and say if North want Sanders that much they should just pick him at 2 and stop asking for handouts.

Keeping Trew for now, might be getting DevRob dependent! As both play a similar role and similar age, so if we do land Dev we might still see Trew go?
Likely keep both though, as we did just clean out a lot of WAFL mids.
I’d be thinking Trew has probably been told to see what we do during Trade and he will be reassessed then.

So I predict he is playing wait and see

Good list management as we then come across less desperate with the Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back