List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Im not the one discussing the merits of offering players pay rises in a squad that just took a 7 percent payout as a collective group
Any idea what Duggan is going to be offered? Must be getting some sort of pay rise.

Some of the guys who signed earlier in the year may have gotten more money too. Probably taking up whatever we are saving from our delistees.

Just a reminder for anybody not sure where SGIO is coming from in relation to the 7% pay cut

WEST Coast players have agreed to higher pay cuts across the board after being assured the club won't be saving money to splash on high-priced recruits at the end of the year.

In a move that has been praised for its efficiency and equitable nature, the Eagles have accepted a seven per cent pay cut across the list.

It was a move different to what other clubs did

Clubs have been working through pay arrangements for this year after the AFL's salary cap cut at the end of last season, with many list managers altering contracts and back-ending deals.

This bit was also of interest

West Coast made the decision to double the average pay cut across the board to ensure that after one year the club will be able to right its salary cap position without stretching the pain into further seasons.

Yes, we are (very) tight with our salary cap for 2022 but on reading the above it may well be that the steps we’ve taken create a problem for 2022 that doesn’t extend beyond then whereas other clubs have kicked the problem further down the road by back ending deals

Salary cap management has usually been pretty good so without knowing all the details it’s hard to judge whether our current issues are the result of mismanagement or a strategy to take the pain of a covid enforced crunch in one hit rather than a smaller hit spread over years or just delayed

It should also be pointed out that whilst we may not be able to attract other players we are also not losing otherwise required players (yet) as some other clubs are doing

FWIW (and I know that's not much) I'd be happy to attack the draft and not look to recruit established players unless they absolutely would make our best 22 better. If the guys on our list get fit, become hungry, and perform to their potential, we should be ok next year.

FWIW (and I know that's not much) I'd be happy to attack the draft and not look to recruit established players unless they absolutely would make our best 22 better. If the guys on our list get fit, become hungry, and perform to their potential, we should be ok next year.
I’m trying to reconcile these two reasonable, yet contradictory, views

1) We underachieved this year and blew a chance to win another flag with this list

2) Our list is cooked and we need to rebuild, perhaps even offload one or more of our best players, because our list isn’t good enough to challenge in 2022

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m trying to reconcile these two reasonable, yet contradictory, views

1) We underachieved this year and blew a chance to win another flag with this list

2) Our list is cooked and we need to rebuild, perhaps even offload one or more of our best players, because our list isn’t good enough to challenge in 2022
Its both. We blew a massive chance and we should offload a couple of stars to fix it. One of Barrass or McGovern for example. We dont need a rebuild. Need to fix obvious gaps but we need to give up something good to do it. BIG preseason could do wonders but a new coach should have been priority imo. The shit game plan dished up this year should have been inexcusable

Last edited:
I would go further than that Obeanie1 if the sum total of Venables, Cameron, Vardy, Ah Chee, Brander, Hutchings and a reduced Redden contracts cant afford Clark then its gross financial mismanagement.

That said I don't pay too much to the credibility of the original source, it has to be taken with a grain or two of salt.

You have to bring in 6 additional players to replace those you mentioned as those wouldn’t be on much.

Alternatively we send hurn and Kennedy to retirement.

Plus it depends, is it a 1 yr problem or a multi year problem?

End of next year, Hurn Kennedy, witherden, redden come off books with Naitanui and shuey surely on severely reduced terms. Witherden on reduced terms maybe. Barrass is free agent and can see big coin thrown at him to go. That can go both ways.

Then following year it’s shepherd, cripps, McGovern, Langdon.

Sounds good management to have all that money at once to go hunting and thrown some real coin at good young wa players at other clubs.

Also I am sure the same poster earlier in year said that because of all injuries, the highly paid players didn’t hit their performance clauses in their contracts and therefore won’t be paid as much….

But then again NN is all Australian and likely to win John worsfold medal…taking all the cash big Nic Nat.

You have to bring in 6 additional players to replace those you mentioned as those wouldn’t be on much.

Alternatively we send hurn and Kennedy to retirement.

Plus it depends, is it a 1 yr problem or a multi year problem?

End of next year, Hurn Kennedy, witherden, redden come off books with Naitanui and shuey surely on severely reduced terms. Witherden on reduced terms maybe. Barrass is free agent and can see big coin thrown at him to go. That can go both ways.

Then following year it’s shepherd, cripps, McGovern, Langdon.

Sounds good management to have all that money at once to go hunting and thrown some real coin at good young wa players at other clubs.

Also I am sure the same poster earlier in year said that because of all injuries, the highly paid players didn’t hit their performance clauses in their contracts and therefore won’t be paid as much….

But then again NN is all Australian and likely to win John worsfold medal…taking all the cash big Nic Nat.

It’s a til 2025 problem.

Interesting. That says that the Schofield deal is sorted and he's essentially on his way. Knights, Schofield, and Harvey would be a good shake-up I feel.
Harvey isn't confirmed and I suspect it's him or Knights. I'd prefer Knights as I've never heard anyone regard Harvey as anything special as an assistant.

We have also been in contract negotiations with Rotham since May and still nothing. Don’t know what’s going on with this one but id imagine it’s a issue. He is the only one we have been talking too actively for a long time that hasn’t signed yet. Strikes me as someone who might get a decent Offer at a club like North

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back