List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Firstly I think the only reason that Simmo is still the coach is because of the early contract signed. I have no doubt the club regrets doing this now.
Simmo will firmly believe in his game plan and it is difficult for some coaches to change it. What we are hearing at this point is the club is after new assistants, is this because the club wants assistants to challenge him and stand up against him? Has Simmo not had assistants that challenge him?

Do i think we can still win a flag with this group? 98% of me says definitly not, but a change of game plan and more importantly a change of hunger and drive by the players can see radical change sometimes.

Codswallop though is about right mate.
I think you're underselling Simmo.
He's taken us to 2 GF's with different games plans.

Think the man on the mark rule killed us.
Simmo is no dill, Blind Freddie can see we have an outdated game plan.

Having said that, he will be under the pump next year I'd imagine.
I think the Bulldogs and Melbourne might dominate the comp the next 2 or 3 years TBH.

Unpopular opinion for a Monday morning:

I think its time Kennedy and Hurn both got the tap on the shoulder im afraid. Have absolutely loved watching them over the years, but lets be real: we arent challenging next year and they wont be apart of the next premiership push.

Lets get some kids in and work on a new gameplan over the next 2-3 years.
Disagree. There is more than enough talent on this list to contend next year and both of those players are easily best 22. Don't need a rebuild. We do need a brutal preseason, bit of luck with injuries and complete reinvention of our game plan. Draft should target a backup ruck, speed and skill off halfback and a massive focus on quick ball movement to what remains very close to the best forwardline in the competition.

I think you're underselling Simmo.
He's taken us to 2 GF's with different games plans.

Think the man on the mark rule killed us.
Simmo is no dill, Blind Freddie can see we have an outdated game plan.

Having said that, he will be under the pump next year I'd imagine.
I think the Bulldogs and Melbourne might dominate the comp the next 2 or 3 years TBH.

I am not underselling him at all. I do believe he is a good coach and I believe he has a long career ahead of him still as a coach. I don't believe he is the right coach for the WCE anymore. The club needs a new message.

I am not underselling him at all. I do believe he is a good coach and I believe he has a long career ahead of him still as a coach. I don't believe he is the right coach for the WCE anymore. The club needs a new message.
A new coach also changes the dynamic between coach and every player on the list. There would be a sense that everyone from top to bottom is starting again and having to re-estabish themselves in the pecking order. Too much complacency has crept in.

His coaching since 2018 has sucked. Taking this squad to 9th was unforgivable
Meh, we were crippled by injury this year. Our midfield especially was decimated. If Yeo and Shuey had played most of the year at full fitness we would have been close to top 4, that's even with a game plan that's not suited to the new rules.

A new coach also changes the dynamic between coach and every player on the list. There would be a sense that everyone from top to bottom is starting again and having to re-estabish themselves in the pecking order. Too much complacency has crept in.
How does that explain Richmond's success when they decided to stick with Hardwick but change the assistants?

How does that explain Richmond's success when they decided to stick with Hardwick but change the assistants?

There is always an example, maybe head coaches will end up a thing of the past. just have 4 assistants all on the same coin jointly coaching the club? As you said who need a million dollar senior coach if the blame will be shifted to assistants all the time.

There is always an example, maybe head coaches will end up a thing of the past. just have 4 assistants all on the same coin jointly coaching the club? As you said who need a million dollar senior coach if the blame will be shifted to assistants all the time.
You still need someone to tie everything together. Also depends on if the assistants are capable of delivering the message.

If I remember correctly Kelly was reported to have taken less than what Geelong offered to try keep him .

So according to the alphabet kid even though we are paying Kelly less than the Cats offer its a club killer like Frankilin's 9 year $1m a year deal!

I just don't know who to believe.................

Well actually, I do know who not to believe....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Staples of pretty much any premiership winning team:

Contested ball, ground ball, tackling

Everything that our side is very poor at

Unless Simpson is prepared to radically overhaul his coaching mantra, we are set for more pain.

Has Simo changed his mantra since 2018?

Because we delivered on that in 2018............just not since.

Has Simo changed his mantra since 2018?

Because we delivered on that in 2018............just not since.

That is partially true: for the aforementioned stats we were average during the regular season, but, we remedied this in the finals period for 2018. They went way up

Prior to that we were average and post 2018 grand final we have been very poor since

The stars lined up for us that month

For whatever reason, Simpson does not want us to be a hard, contested ball, tackling team

Which flies in stark contrast to the teams playing off in the grand final in a couple of weeks

Two prelims won on the weekend by the teams that worked the hardest around the ball.

No way we can keep up with what I saw from Melbourne/Bulldogs next year, we just don't have as many players in our team willing to run/chase/contest as hard as those two teams do.

I don't quite think this year is the draft to do it but I'd be very keen to go into next years draft with some very high picks. Even if that means getting rid of some of our best players. We need a renewed core who are committed to the 4-5 year slog of working hard together as a unit both on the field and the training track attempting to win football games instead of enjoying big salaries with no consequence of poor performance.

At the moment we're relying on: New coaches, different game plan, better injury management, improved preseason, players returning in better condition from offseason, more cohesion in the playing group, change in mindset to tackle instead of coral. Just can't see it all coming together but with any luck you can all come back and call me Robert Walls at the end of next year.

The purpose of the Tim Kelly trade was to strike while we were in the window. We whiffed and now there's the pain attached to that gamble. I'm looking forward to some high picks again and have full faith in the club that we'll be competing again within the next decade.

Would not mind Knights as an assistant - you have to be a good one to get a gig as an AFL coach, no matter how bad you end up being at that. Mark Neeld a possible exception.

Was white anted and potted by Hird On the Couch only to be sacked for him. Essendon are Carlton levels of bad with decision making and old money calling the shots at the club. Just like Ratten was worth another look. I'm betting Matty Knights isn't as bad as Essendon made out.

That is partially true: for the aforementioned stats we were average during the regular season, but, we remedied this in the finals period for 2018. They went way up

Prior to that we were average and post 2018 grand final we have been very poor since

The stars lined up for us that month

For whatever reason, Simpson does not want us to be a hard, contested ball, tackling team

Which flies in stark contrast to the teams playing off in the grand final in a couple of weeks
Having Schofield in would address this for the midfield at least I imagine.

Knights on the other hands, should he come to the club, comes from a club with a similar style to ours.

Simmo's shown he's capable of overhauling the game plan in the past, I'd back him in to do it a third time over any other untried assistant or failed senior coach.

Having said that, he'd be on very thin ice at the end of next season if we have a repeat of 2019-2021.

Having Schofield in would address this for the midfield at least I imagine.

Knights on the other hands, should he come to the club, comes from a club with a similar style to ours.

Simmo's shown he's capable of overhauling the game plan in the past, I'd back him in to do it a third time over any other untried assistant or failed senior coach.

Having said that, he'd be on very thin ice at the end of next season if we have a repeat of 2019-2021.

It will depend on what the clubs direction is on ho we judge Simpson.
Are we going on a rebuild? If the answer is yes then he has virtually all of his next 3 years to change things up.
If he is having another crack at a flag then he is all in to be judged solely on next year and how we play and how motivated the players are.

It will depend on what the clubs direction is on ho we judge Simpson.
Are we going on a rebuild? If the answer is yes then he has virtually all of his next 3 years to change things up.
If he is having another crack at a flag then he is all in to be judged solely on next year and how we play and how motivated the players are.
I agree, depends on what the club as a whole decides is the best direction. I have a feeling that either going the rebuild or having another shot at a flag wouldn't be a decision solely up to the head coach unfortunately. It'll be a decision made at the top level and he'll be the scapegoat of failure, one way or another.

Mind you, he was derided by fans on here when he got the job because he thought we were close to a flag, whereas many people thought Sumich's assessment was more realistic. History have proven Simpson right and Sumich wrong.

I agree, depends on what the club as a whole decides is the best direction. I have a feeling that either going the rebuild or having another shot at a flag wouldn't be a decision solely up to the head coach unfortunately. It'll be a decision made at the top level and he'll be the scapegoat of failure, one way or another.

Mind you, he was derided by fans on here when he got the job because he thought we were close to a flag, whereas many people thought Sumich's assessment was more realistic. History have proven Simpson right and Sumich wrong.

Not really, simmo got the job and Suma didn't. Doesn't make Suma wrong. We could of got Suma and be sitting here with a 3peat under our belt? It's all just hindsight and guessing games.

Not really, simmo got the job and Suma didn't. Doesn't make Suma wrong. We could of got Suma and be sitting here with a 3peat under our belt? It's all just hindsight and guessing games.
Maybe, but it did proves Sumich's assessment that we needed a rebuild to contend incorrect, irrespective of whether a rebuild would've netted us an additional flag or 2.

Staples of pretty much any premiership winning team:

Contested ball, ground ball, tackling

Everything that our side is very poor at

Unless Simpson is prepared to radically overhaul his coaching mantra, we are set for more pain.

new man on the mark rule is the least of our concerns, and really wasn’t an issue in how and why we copped so many thumping. Instead of friends, families, flags written all over the walls and ticked off, I’d be getting players to sign off onContested ball, ground ball, tackling

If I remember correctly Kelly was reported to have taken less than what Geelong offered to try keep him .

I thought this was the case as well, and with Geelongs big names they weren't offering him a million.

From what I've seen reported on his deal it definitely isn't cap killing.

The club and Simpson in particular firmly believes the window is still open and they are going to make one more push at it next year.
My expectations for 2022 will be continued faith in the senior underperforming players, little game time into the younger players other than a fill in type role. Only minor adjustments to the game plan as Simmo still thinks it works.
Unfortunately I think you are right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back