List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My mate who works for the club said they all know venables won't play again and venables knows himself . They have been helping him with life after football and deciding on a path .

It's a real shame because he was probably best 22 when he got his concussion and the best young midfield talent we had on the list
Thanks for input.

Let us not think he was a midfielder. He played U18 as half forward with silky skills and slid because other club’s weren’t sure he was a midfielder.

He was a best 22 half forward and we are feeling the loss at that position.

I suspect we drafted him wanting midfield capability like we did with Duggan but neither are mids.

Any further development to this story?

I’m sure that rule was brought in to protect basket case clubs from their own mismanagement. West Coast should get an exception seeing as how they have drafted plenty of kids in the few previous seasons and are successful on field.

I’m sure that rule was brought in to protect basket case clubs from their own mismanagement. West Coast should get an exception seeing as how they have drafted plenty of kids in the few previous seasons and are successful on field.

We can afford to play Brayden Ainsworth. We don't need no steenkin' first round picks!

“Traded away our future for Kelly”. The facts are, our future was already here after we shafted GC. So we could afford to blow it all on him and chase a flag as most of our “future” is already on the list. Surely that is grounds for an exemption. We don’t “need” a first rounder with how well we smashed that draft as they’re all first round or higher quality already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The article is full of shit they don't even know the rules .

If we use our 2021 and 2022 first rounders we satisfy the criteria.

For reference hawks picked up their last 1st round pick in the 2015 draft . They didn't have to use another until 2019 .

Our last 1st round pick was brander 2017 so we use 2021 + 2022 .

So this whole ransom thing is bullshit .

Leaving their ages aside, I Can't believe you'd entertain the idea of chopping Redden and keep Ainsworth.
Even if Redden only has one more year, that's more than Ainsworth will ever give us.
Id rather use that spot redden would be taking to get ainsworth,xon or mitch oniell some game time while weve got such a strong midfield unit

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The article is full of sh*t they don't even know the rules .

If we use our 2021 and 2022 first rounders we satisfy the criteria.

For reference hawks picked up their last 1st round pick in the 2015 draft . They didn't have to use another until 2019 .

Our last 1st round pick was brander 2017 so we use 2021 + 2022 .

So this whole ransom thing is bullshit .

This is my understanding as well.

This article discusses the requirements

If you haven’t used 2 in the last 4 years you have to use one that year. The previous 4 years we used 1 in 16, 1 in 17, 0 in 18, 0 in 19. So we used 2 in 4 years and are ok this year but moving forward we will need to take a first rounder in 21 and 22.

Trying to understand the article and read into the messages from Hickmott for list management.

Hamish Brayshaw – “Is a workaholic. He works his butt off. He’s pushing up into the senior squad a few times and hopefully gets a game throughout the year with these shortened (break between) games.”

What was meant – Tries hard. If we continue this run of injuries to the mids, he may just sneak in a game. Not setting the world on fire but brings effort every week. Desperate times may see him picked (ie desperate actions)

Harry Edwards – “He’s got a big heart. Played an AFL game, unfortunately got knocked out, missed a week and came back into the scrimmage on the weekend. Doesn’t look out of place in the scrimmage and hopefully will get back up in the AFL squad soon.”

What was meant – Had a chance, can do the job and will be on the list next year.

Luke Foley – “Been playing half-back. He’s been probably one of the standouts from the younger guys, the way he’s matured, the way he sees the ball and reads the play – mark off oppo boot – and his skills. Looking for handball receives and in a couple of the scrimmages even having shots on goal, which is impressive.”

What was meant – Only good behind the ball so the idea we had an outside midfielder is unlikely. Has some seagull qualities.

Tom Hickey – “Hickey’s just doing his job there. He’s biding his time to get back in the AFL side. He rucks and playing forward at the same time. A really good leader along with Vardy and (Will) Schofield.”

What is meant – Solid depth, as we expected.

Mark Hutchings – “He’s working with the younger fellas to help them through their game and developing them. He’s pretty keen to make his way back into that AFL side as soon as possible.”

What was meant – Know quantity here, relax you'll keep you spot

Callum Jamieson – “A young, raw kid. He has been playing forward and starting to have a go in the ruck now. Loves footy and has a real competitive streak about him, he doesn’t like to lose. We played him for three quarters down back on the weekend and he was impressive.”

What was meant – Great attitude and early days in his body development and game sense. He will be on the list next year.

Lewis Jetta – “Jetts was out of a little bit form so he stopped playing AFL for a little while, came back to the scrimmage and for the last three or four weeks in the scrimmage he’s been exceptional. Playing good footy, uses his skills as he knows how to and really enjoying footy.”

What was meant – He has not lost his skills, just the coaches confidence so enjoy Carey Park in Bunbury in 2021.

Xavier O’Neill – “Plays midfield most of the time and he’s looking sharp every time he goes out there. He’s got some good ruckmen around him which is (Tom) Hickey, (Bailey) Williams, (Nathan) Vardy. He’s getting his hands on the ball, working on his ruck-mid craft and starting to use the ball well.”

What was meant – O'Brien, you actuially drafted us a genuine midfielder. Surprise, surprise, surprise. Imagine what he would be like with the best tap ruckman in the competition. Hicks is trying to get him game time.

Will Schofield – “Has been excellent. The older guys have been sensational for our younger players and Will down back has helped Harry through that, as well as young Foley with his experience. Calm, composed down there. I’ve really liked his leadership.”

What was meant – final year and doing a credible job handover to Harry

Anthony Treacy – “Playing mid and forward, showing signs every scrimmage. Looks exciting, then he’ll go missing, then look exciting again. We want his consistency to improve but apart from that he does some special things with the footy and brings other teammates into the game.”

What was meant – Bruce McAverney will like him but the list committee jury is divided

Nathan Vardy – “He has ran through the ruck and he’s been playing forward but unfortunately got a big corkie on the weekend. Vardy’s form has been good. He’s tough and strong and stands above the rest when he gets going. Smashes packs and he’s an incredibly good leader for the younger fellas to look at, especially Callum Jamieson.”

What was meant – Good battering ram and ready to play until Jamieson fill sout

Bailey Williams – “He’s been playing in the ruck but also forward. He’s showing stronger attributes in the contest pretty well most weeks he goes out and plays now. Getting over the ground well and starting to look really confident in the ruck, and also when he does go forward.”

What was meant – Keeping Oscar on his toes. Will be on the list, we need to keep him happy in the last month with some games.

Callum Jamieson – “A young, raw kid. He has been playing forward and starting to have a go in the ruck now. Loves footy and has a real competitive streak about him, he doesn’t like to lose. We played him for three quarters down back on the weekend and he was impressive.”

Brilliant idea. That sounds like it would be absolutely amazing for a young talls development.

1597898444295.png

A comment like "starting to use the ball well" is basically a nicer way of saying "has been butchering it til now".

It's like when I tell my kids, "you've started to use the toilet this week, good work!", I'm sugar-coating something like "wow you're not pissing the bed tonight maybe you're not a lost cause!"

A comment like "starting to use the ball well" is basically a nicer way of saying "has been butchering it til now".

It's like when I tell my kids, "you've started to use the toilet this week, good work!", I'm sugar-coating something like "wow you're not pissing the bed tonight maybe you're not a lost cause!"
Odd because I thought we drafted O’Neill for his kicking skills. Guess it’s like when we thought Duggan was going to be a shorter slower Pendlebury

Odd because I thought we drafted O’Neill for his kicking skills. Guess it’s like when we thought Duggan was going to be a shorter slower Pendlebury
Yeah, from televised WAFL matches he's looked composed when he gets it. Thought him getting involved consistently was the main issue, and it probably still is. Probably just a poorly phrased attempt at praise from Hickmont haha

Yeah, from televised WAFL matches he's looked composed when he gets it. Thought him getting involved consistently was the main issue, and it probably still is. Probably just a poorly phrased attempt at praise from Hickmont haha
Hopefully more decision making rather than skill execution.

From the WAFL games I watched last year and from limited footage this year, I would say XON is one of the more polished ball users in the midfield. I see XON as a balanced mid and can see him spending time on a wing and in the clearances. His last 6 weeks or so of WAFL in 2019 was particularly nice to see him step up in production and general play. That is why I am far more bullish about his potential than Ainsworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back