List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just don’t see how cutting list sizes improves football. What is the point?!? It was a stupid idea floated early in the piece when covid first hit and somehow it stuck.
I assumed it was a cost cutting measure?

Callan England BOG for Claremont, he's been in their best a bit lately. Alec Waterman 4 snags too.
Waterman’s making a bit of a statement. He’s had a couple 15-20 disposal, multiple goal games this year. Unfortunately his age and reduced list sizes may work against him next year.

I just don’t see how cutting list sizes improves football. What is the point?!? It was a stupid idea floated early in the piece when covid first hit and somehow it stuck.
I think it'd be weak as piss of the players association if they choose job cuts over a collective pay reduction.

Waterman’s making a bit of a statement. He’s had a couple 15-20 disposal, multiple goal games this year. Unfortunately his age and reduced list sizes may work against him next year.

Jeez it’d be a good story though wouldn’t it.

Forgotten oldest son of club stalwart, AFL dream crushed by illness only to bounce back in his 20s and finally make the grade. Chuck in the hot-shot younger brother trying to blaze his own trail.

Shit, I’d buy tickets to that.

Marlion Pickett could be an unrestricted free agent and the end of this year, and could be picked up without giving away draft picks. In the pre season game between Richmond and GWS, commentators spoke about a "WA club was interested in Pickett last trade season, however salary cap meant a trade couldn't happen". Pickett barracked for West Coast, including going to 2018 GF.

Next year Stack will be in the same boat where he could become a free agent. We should really be planning to make a play at one or both of these guys over the next couple of years.

Richmond are in a great place with their list management, but also not without challenges in retaining all their players, especially if list sizes and rookie spots are cut.

Interested to hear people's perspective on this. Article below:

"Richmond have the maximum six Category A rookies in 2020 – Jake Aarts, Liam Baker, Mabior Chol, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Marlion Pickett and Sydney Stack – and all are currently regulars in coach Damien Hardwick’s best 22.

Three of those rookies – Aarts, Pickett, Eggmolesse-Smith – are out of contract. Under AFL rules, players who have been on the rookie list for two years or more can reject another rookie contract and become unrestricted free agents.

But if rookie list spots are cut next year, as expected, it would put Richmond under enormous pressure to make room for its rookies on its primary list, which is capped at 40 in 2020 but is no certainty to remain so next season."

Marlion Pickett could be an unrestricted free agent and the end of this year, and could be picked up without giving away draft picks. In the pre season game between Richmond and GWS, commentators spoke about a "WA club was interested in Pickett last trade season, however salary cap meant a trade couldn't happen". Pickett barracked for West Coast, including going to 2018 GF.

Next year Stack will be in the same boat where he could become a free agent. We should really be planning to make a play at one or both of these guys over the next couple of years.

Richmond are in a great place with their list management, but also not without challenges in retaining all their players, especially if list sizes and rookie spots are cut.

Interested to hear people's perspective on this. Article below:

"Richmond have the maximum six Category A rookies in 2020 – Jake Aarts, Liam Baker, Mabior Chol, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Marlion Pickett and Sydney Stack – and all are currently regulars in coach Damien Hardwick’s best 22.

Three of those rookies – Aarts, Pickett, Eggmolesse-Smith – are out of contract. Under AFL rules, players who have been on the rookie list for two years or more can reject another rookie contract and become unrestricted free agents.

But if rookie list spots are cut next year, as expected, it would put Richmond under enormous pressure to make room for its rookies on its primary list, which is capped at 40 in 2020 but is no certainty to remain so next season."
I’d be keen on stack but Pickett will be way too old

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be keen on stack but Pickett will be way too old

He's 29 in January.

No reason we couldn't offer a 2 year deal to help our depth in the midfield. At the end of 2 year deal he will be almost 31 and who knows what position he will be in.

At the moment he is on rookie wages (pre-covid is 85K) + match payments.

Give him a spot on the main list and that is minimum 110K + match payments.

I think it'd be weak as piss of the players association if they choose job cuts over a collective pay reduction.

AFLPA is run by players at the top, wouldn’t be surprised.

Really should be a collective pay cut. I don’t think they understand the ramifications that it will have on a team that gets a huge injury list.

Just had a question for you guys, you always hear about how the Giants, Tigers etc are close to their salary cap and need to offload their depth pieces.

I was just wondering how do you think the Eagles are doing salary cap wise?

You guys probably have the best 22 in the comp when they are all available. So do you think that you may need to offload some of your depth guys or have enough of your stars taken pay cuts?

Just had a question for you guys, you always hear about how the Giants, Tigers etc are close to their salary cap and need to offload their depth pieces.

You guys probably have the best 22 in the comp when they are all available. So do you think that you may need to offload some of your depth guys or have enough of your stars taken pay cuts?

We don't have any depth guys :D

We have best 22, developing players and a bunch of WAFL player AFL wannabes.

Does anyone watch Sth Freo regularly? Is Ben Rioli good, keeps getting in the best each week off limited possessions.
26 years old, but could be a good fwd option with late pick?

Someone mentioned that Sharp from GC was homesick, so we all started spinning crazy trade deals and thinking we could pull a Rawlings 2017 draft Mk II on the GC.

But also - no way we trade Duggan or Petch. Theyre both worth more than Sharp.
I'd give Petch up. He really doesn't seem to have much to his game other than using his pace to get out the back. Needs to find more ways to get in the game. Can't see it happening

Dammo barrett on MMM mentioned WCE were looking at Cyril early this year and were considering a FIFO arrangement and to get him ready for finals. Cyril according to long mentioned he is gearing up for a possible return next year.

Get Willie back before finals next year, pick up Cyril and Ben. Hopefully we would be able to give Cyril the 33 as well.

B: Duggan Barrass Sheppard
HB: Nelson McGovern B.Rioli
C: Gaff Yeo Sheed
HF: W.Rioli Darling Cripps
F: Ryan Kennedy C.Rioli
R: Naitanui Kelly Shuey

INT: 4 of Hurn Cole Nelson Redden Venables (🤞) Rotham Allen Waterman Ah Chee Brander XON Petch Williams Cameron Jones Edwards

75399A18-CEC1-426D-B5B3-F8EAC4F653E4.jpeg

I think we are probably tight but not in the worst position.

Big contracts are probably Gaff, Gov and TK, which is probably a similar amount to what you have in Dusty and Lynch. Nic would be a fairly reasonable price (signed a much smaller contracts after 2 knee recons) for massive return when fit. JK and Hurn would be small year to year contracts. A lot of depth ie Rotham, Cole, Waterman are younger and on first or second contracts and probably still fairly cheap.

I could see us losing some younger players looking for pay rises, but I think we would be very careful who we would let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back