List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its going to make it very hard to rebuild on the run .
Especially when all their older guys want to stay on and try to pinch another flag before retiring.

On in dangers case 'a' flag

Yep. Geelong are trying to do both, win a flag before the old dogs retire plus bring in youth.

I can see the Crows and North picking up handy young guys let go by club's who are forced to shed them in order to keep older players to contend.
Young guys who have been unlucky with minor injuries but highly rated.

Mitch O'Neil could be one.

What about if the AFL just cuts the salary cap and allows teams to manage meeting it themselves? They could set a minimum list size (say 38 main list and 4 rookies) and and maximum (same as now but no cat b's). Then allow teams to figure it out.

I feel that reducing list sizes is dangerous given how often teams get unlucky with injuries.

What about if the AFL just cuts the salary cap and allows teams to manage meeting it themselves? They could set a minimum list size (say 38 main list and 4 rookies) and and maximum (same as now but no cat b's). Then allow teams to figure it out.

I feel that reducing list sizes is dangerous given how often teams get unlucky with injuries.

That seems the most sensible approach (certainly next year) given the number of clubs whose players are under contract. Whether it is seen as a positive or not is the flow on effect of a lower TPP. Clubs are going to find it more difficult to create a pot in order to offer god-father offers a la what NM tried with Gaff. So likelihood of greater importance on developing rather than poaching.
Interesting times ahead

Surely Geelong consolidate picks and try to move up the draft order?

Nice in theory but with reduced lists likely clubs are going to wary about trading say picks 2 & 35 for picks 5, 11 & 18.
Just means more delistings & that's if you have the necessary number of players who are OOC. Would have to be in a club who has a lot of players they want to jettison.

Nice in theory but with reduced lists likely clubs are going to wary about trading say picks 2 & 35 for picks 5, 11 & 18.
Just means more delistings & that's if you have the necessary number of players who are OOC. Would have to be in a club who has a lot of players they want to jettison.

Has Covid affected Geelong's draft hand positively or negatively do you think? Or will that information only be confirmed once list sizes are locked in?

Seems like we chose a good time (in hindsight) to bail on a compromised and speculative draft and secure a known quantity in TK.

Nah we have jetta schoey JK hurn Redden hutch hickey shuey Sheppard natanui and vardy all over 29
The players in bold will more than likely not be on our list next year . Vardy may find another home with the ruck shortage .

The players underlined probably retire 2021 .
Shuey shep and natanui 2022

Add to Watson venables most certainly going we have lots of room for Mitch for then next few years .

If the crows got pick 2 for brad crouch compo it would be a good idea for them .

Picks 1 , 5 , 11 and 18 would fast track their rebuild.

They also need a good clean out. A lot of middling talent that wont be part of the next generation

Has Covid affected Geelong's draft hand positively or negatively do you think? Or will that information only be confirmed once list sizes are locked in?

Seems like we chose a good time (in hindsight) to bail on a compromised and speculative draft and secure a known quantity in TK.

If list sizes stay same then Geelong in good spot albeit less exposure for draftees meaning greater uncertainty for recruiters. Wells pretty good however.
If list sizes cut then this year ain't great to have a lot of picks - top end or not.

If the crows got pick 2 for brad crouch compo it would be a good idea for them .

Picks 1 , 5 , 11 and 18 would fast track their rebuild.

They also need a good clean out. A lot of middling talent that wont be part of the next generation

My original post wasn't directed towards Adelaide - (or any club & note the numbers I used were just random) but towards a poster who was talking about Geelong & the ability to trade their multiple high end picks.
And yes picks of those numbers would be great for Adelaide.

Such as the Crows?

Any news / insight into the Eagles not using a 1st rounder and we technically should use one this draft?

I presume its not a rock solid rule and the AFL would look at us and say 'Nothing to worry about with the Eagles list management or its finances. No foul so play on!'

Yep. Geelong are trying to do both, win a flag before the old dogs retire plus bring in youth.

I can see the Crows and North picking up handy young guys let go by club's who are forced to shed them in order to keep older players to contend.
Young guys who have been unlucky with minor injuries but highly rated.

Only if North relocate to Tassie.

Nah we have jetta schoey JK hurn Redden hutch hickey shuey Sheppard natanui and vardy all over 29
The players in bold will more than likely not be on our list next year . Vardy may find another home with the ruck shortage .

The players underlined probably retire 2021 .
Shuey shep and natanui 2022

Add to Watson venables most certainly going we have lots of room for Mitch for then next few years .

We have 45 on our list. If we end up 38 + 2

Main list - Need 4 cut
Schofield - retires
Jetta - retires
Venables - retires hurt
Vardy - retires
Rioli - delisted or onto the rookie list
Hutchings?

Promote Edwards to main list.

Rookies - Need 4 cut

Brayshay
Treacy
Watson
Reid?
Jones?

Use two / three picks on the main list.

Assuming no trades in or out. Feel we may lose Petruccelle to Norths though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have 45 on our list. If we end up 38 + 2

Main list - Need 4 cut
Schofield - retires
Jetta - retires
Venables - retires hurt
Vardy - retires
Rioli - delisted or onto the rookie list
Hutchings?

Promote Edwards to main list.

Rookies - Need 4 cut

Brayshay
Treacy
Watson
Reid?
Jones?

Use two / three picks on the main list.

Assuming no trades in or out. Feel we may lose Petruccelle to Norths though.
Hutch is perfect cheap depth . At least 1 more season
Read Jones are rookies ? Can't remember how the supplemental players are classed .

Watson is on senior list .

There are a few cheap players who I think would suit our game style we could target .
Lonie - OOC at the saints and better than read Jones and treacy

Markov - goes alright at Richmond but his pace marking and kicking skills would translate to our game style much better than Richmond. We play him as a winger

Knight- in a good team I think he would be an asset. Pacey tough tackling winger that would really help us with our biggest weakness - ground balls .

You could probably get these guys for cheap both in picks and salary .

They would strengthen our 22-30 best players and with us losing 10 senior players by 2022 stop the drop off and let us focus on ball winning mids rather than wingers/Flankers in the draft

If list sizes stay same then Geelong in good spot albeit less exposure for draftees meaning greater uncertainty for recruiters. Wells pretty good however.
If list sizes cut then this year ain't great to have a lot of picks - top end or not.
Mate, Wells is better than pretty good

So the current pick order looks like this (and probably not likely to have wholesale changes before end of the year
1598511271210.png

Clubs holding multiple first rounders are:

Adelaide - their own and GWS
Norf - their own and Melbourne
Geelong - their own, ours and the Suns compensation pic 11
Brisbane - their own and Port

Adelaide in a rebuild
I expect they go Riley Thilthorpe with their first and bank a proven at SANFL tall forward that will be a Crow for life. They might sell off the GWS pick to Geelong for 16 and 17 if Cats want to go earlier.

Norf in a rebuild
I can see 2 being for sale but I would want from Geelong 11, 16 and 17. After their two first round picks, the drop off in picks is fast. If they came away with 10, 11, 16, 17 and 26, that would be a damn fine start to a rebuild.

Geelong are in contention but need top end talls at either end. Logan McDonald or Grainger-Barras would be ideal but they will need to get inside pick 6 for either of them. They will need to pay a higher than usual premium since both ours and their R1 will likely end up in the 20's after NGA prospects.

Brisbane - could do with a trade for a KPF
Their own and Ports R1 are likely to be starting with a 20 in it given bids and prospects.
Could they trade one of them for a KPF? Ben Brown - is he worth one of these picks and would he complement the Lions attack? Might likely get something back with that trade.Both these picks for Danniher might also be an option.

So the current pick order looks like this (and probably not likely to have wholesale changes before end of the year
View attachment 946618

Clubs holding multiple first rounders are:

Adelaide - their own and GWS
Norf - their own and Melbourne
Geelong - their own, ours and the Suns compensation pic 11
Brisbane - their own and Port

Adelaide in a rebuild
I expect they go Riley Thilthorpe with their first and bank a proven at SANFL tall forward that will be a Crow for life. They might sell off the GWS pick to Geelong for 16 and 17 if Cats want to go earlier.

Norf in a rebuild
I can see 2 being for sale but I would want from Geelong 11, 16 and 17. After their two first round picks, the drop off in picks is fast. If they came away with 10, 11, 16, 17 and 26, that would be a damn fine start to a rebuild.

Geelong are in contention but need top end talls at either end. Logan McDonald or Grainger-Barras would be ideal but they will need to get inside pick 6 for either of them. They will need to pay a higher than usual premium since both ours and their R1 will likely end up in the 20's after NGA prospects.

Brisbane - could do with a trade for a KPF
Their own and Ports R1 are likely to be starting with a 20 in it given bids and prospects.
Could they trade one of them for a KPF? Ben Brown - is he worth one of these picks and would he complement the Lions attack? Might likely get something back with that trade.Both these picks for Danniher might also be an option.
Thought freo might've have a bit more going for them. Pick 6, 29 then nothing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back