Could Carlton be a serious contender in this random season?

Remove this Banner Ad

But I guess west coast are? What have you beaten this year. Sydney and Adelaide. Carlton best Geelong in Geelong, the western bulldogs off when Carlton had no chance and Essendon who are sh*t imo when Carlton f’ed around too much inside forward 50 and let them get a sniff. The other two games (I’m not counting Richmond as it was another time) we conceded the first 6-7 goals of the game and still managed to win the next 3/4 of the contest and miss out. Saints haven’t won a game outside of marvel in nearly a year. Should have been at the G. In the elements where the game was meant to be played.

What do WC have to do with anything? We are also 3-3, having played like absolute garbage. I'm hoping we find some semblance of form with our upcoming run of games in Perth but no guarantees in footy. But we have won 16-16-12-16-15 games the last 5 years and won 7 of 11 finals so it's understandable we are one of the favourites. But the thread is about Carlton. They are a chance of making the 8 like a lot of teams, but they aren't a contender. IMO. Who was the last team to win a flag without at least some recent finals experience?

Competitive and (at times dominant) in almost every game.
Docherty, Weitering and Jones gelling great defense.
Struggle traditionally @ Marvel- not a problem this year.
Less Reliant on Cripps this season.
Kreuzer (hopefully) to return-would be a huge addition.
Potent forward line with three talls all hitting form and Betts on fire.
Such a crazy season anythings possible.
Looked so good tonight, only Brisbane and PA have looked so good in games.
Many more things could be said...

Thoughts?
no

I’ve been here the whole time. Been taking it for years now I’m here for mine. I’ve got a very long list of sh*t posters to get back at once we show up. Just wait you’ll get yours.
Uhhh I'm not a shitposter...I'm stating what I believe to be true. Why do you have to be so vengeful based off of your footy team losing previously?

Blueflaggers 2020 does have a nice ring to it.

We’ve only managed to beat Geelong, Essendon and the Bulldogs though, so we probably should keep a lid on it until we start putting some quality opposition away.
I mean yeah, Geelong have that sort of old-warrior vanquish feel about them, like an up and comer defeating an over the hill former champion, there's honour in that agreed, but Essendona nd the Doggies are both Bottom 8 no-bodies making up the numbers so we really do have to beat some quality opposition.

Judgement was made on season so far (=1/3 of a season) but again it was just floating a possibility which is random and left field because if we had this convo pre season no-one would even entertain such a thought .
Reason for it obviously, was the outstanding performance.
The sheer skill, execution and dominance caught most by surprise.
Also, who cares, right?;)

No idea what your point is?

Not really. Teams jump up and fall all the time. 5 of last year's top 8 are still in the top 8 this year. West Coast and GWS will likely finish top 8.

I actually think this is the most even year. No 15 games at the MCG or 9 games at KP. No double ups against bottom sides. Everyone plays each other once. the winner will win the most memorable premiership.

I don't have any issue with those aspects of your argument here, however my point is that this season's results don't reflect reality as much as previous years, because there are so many things that are different to how things normally are. A prime example of this are the shorter quarters... nobody knew that was coming, and that is going to have a massive impact on teams who normally rely on running teams into the ground, which has a flow on effect that levels up the competition.

Even outside of the technical aspects of the game though, the biggest factor is that the human beings themselves are all playing/coaching compromised as a collective (some aren't affected at all, some are massively affected, so it's not equal for every team), and in a season like this, it unrealistically evens the playing field because you have younger or lesser players sensing an opportunity to have an impact, while more established/older players probably have difficulty getting up as much, given they're more likely to have young families, etc, and therefore more "worries" outside of just their footy careers.

Across the league, there'd be plenty of crossover between those two sets of players too, I'm just saying that this season is the perfect opportunity for a team who maybe wouldn't normally be as competitive, to become much more so, because there will be some teams who won't be to their usual standards, and probably holding back for 2021 and beyond.

I don't have any issue with those aspects of your argument here, however my point is that this season's results don't reflect reality as much as previous years, because there are so many things that are different to how things normally are. A prime example of this are the shorter quarters... nobody knew that was coming, and that is going to have a massive impact on teams who normally rely on running teams into the ground, which has a flow on effect that levels up the competition.

Even outside of the technical aspects of the game though, the biggest factor is that the human beings themselves are all playing/coaching compromised as a collective (some aren't affected at all, some are massively affected, so it's not equal for every team), and in a season like this, it unrealistically evens the playing field because you have younger or lesser players sensing an opportunity to have an impact, while more established/older players probably have difficulty getting up as much, given they're more likely to have young families, etc, and therefore more "worries" outside of just their footy careers.

Across the league, there'd be plenty of crossover between those two sets of players too, I'm just saying that this season is the perfect opportunity for a team who maybe wouldn't normally be as competitive, to become much more so, because there will be some teams who won't be to their usual standards, and probably holding back for 2021 and beyond.
Yes it is a very different year, but there are inequalities every year. Some teams like Collingwood, Essendon and GWS continuously experience injuries to key players. Some teams like Brisbane, St Kilda and Richmond in the past hardly ever had injuries. When Richmond did have injuries last year, they were smashed week in week out. Having a few players miss games because of family commitment is no different to injuries or players taking time off for mentl health reasons. The good teams will adjust.

Is this season different? Yes definitely. Does it result in an overall net difference in inequalities? No. The QLD teams and the WA/SA teams will have an advantage over the rest of course, but it isn't any different to a VIC team playing weeks at the MCG/Marvel.

From available evidence, the ladder doesn't look any different to any other year. A few of the bottom sides always jump up at the beginning of the year before falling back. A few of the top teams start slow before coming back. GWS and WC are still expected to make the 8 and replace two of GC, St Kilda and Carlton.

we've won three of the last 4.
Could've easily been 4 of 5....
Just saying.
No question they will be in the top 8
Why? Plenty of you trolls on here (not particularly aimed at yourself) have for 10 years discusses how shot Carlton is. How poor is our list management. Sacking SOS. etc. why not discuss a positive one.
Big difference in the way the two teams played on the weekend. Hawthorn were dreadful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My post you quoted was spot on about last weekend, if you want to be a hindsight poster you should at least wait till your in high school.

I think you got a bit a head of yourself, like Carlton supporters always do.

Your post is a classic case of blue baggers drinking their own bathwater after a W and underestimating opposition, only to end up melting in their autopsy thread after an inevitable loss.

Watching this neverending cycle of Carlton supporters filled with false senseIt's quickly becoming one of my favourite pastimes in this lockdown era.

I think you got a bit a head of yourself, like Carlton supporters always do.

Your post is a classic case of blue baggers drinking their own bathwater after a W and underestimating opposition, only to end up melting in their autopsy thread after an inevitable loss.

Watching this neverending cycle of Carlton supporters filled with false senseIt's quickly becoming one of my favourite pastimes in this lockdown era.
Mate you quoted me on something that had nothing to do with this round, it was just childish and dumb.

Mate you quoted me on something that had nothing to do with this round, it was just childish and dumb.

What was dumb was you over stating where Carlton sit in the league.

You have to now admit what you said about Hawthorn was well off the mark, last night's results shows that even an over the hill Hawthorn team are streets ahead of Carlton.

Perhaps you should keep this in mind next time you try and talk down about other teams.

I get so much schadenfreude when the wheels inevitably come off the Carlton bandwagon and supporters end up with (Hawk) egg all over their faces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Carlton be a serious contender in this random season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back