Opinion Could Lachie Neale be considered the GOAT if he wins the AFL treble?

Is Lachie Neale in the GOAT discussion if he wins the AFL treble in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The AFL Treble
  • The Premeriship Medal
  • The Brownlow Medal
  • The Norm Smith Medal
Only one man has done it in the history of the game - Dusty achieved this feat in 2017 and went on to put himself in the GOAT discussion by adding a further two premeiership and Norm Smiths added to his tally over the following three seasons. Just the one Brownlow for Dusty, though. As of right now, Lachie Neale appears to have a genuine shot at achieving this over the next week to add to the two Brownlows he already has.

It's probably not a stretch to suggest it's more impressive to win a Brownlow than it is to win a Norm Smith, but only one premiership won will obviously play against Neale in the GOAT discussion if he wins the treble this year. Then again, another Brownlow win tomorrow night means he equals the all-time record for most won by an individual (with Hadyn Bunton Sr, Dick Reynolds, Bob Skilton and Ian Stewart) and that's huge in itself.

Anywho. What are your thoughts?

The AFL Treble
  • The Premeriship Medal
  • The Brownlow Medal
  • The Norm Smith Medal
Only one man has done it in the history of the game - Dusty achieved this feat in 2017 and went on to put himself in the GOAT discussion by adding a further two premeiership and Norm Smiths added to his tally over the following three seasons. Just the one Brownlow for Dusty, though. As of right now, Lachie Neale appears to have a genuine shot at achieving this over the next week to add to the two Brownlows he already has.

It's probably not a stretch to suggest it's more impressive to win a Brownlow than it is to win a Norm Smith, but only one premiership won will obviously play against Neale in the GOAT discussion if he wins the treble this year. Then again, another Brownlow win tomorrow night means he equals the all-time record for most won by an individual (with Hadyn Bunton Sr, Dick Reynolds, Bob Skilton and Ian Stewart) and that's huge in itself.

Should already have 3 apart from Carlton's lawyers

He's not the betting favourite, so we can say with almost certainty that he didn't actually have the best season this year, as the Brownlow is one of the rare betting markets that represents a competition that has already run its race.

Only umpire ineptitude could result in him winning this year, which is also what happened last year when he was given a 7% chance to win.

Just because someone erroneously wins an award (twice) that is determined by the most maligned and criticised figures in the sport, don't mean anyone's becoming the GOAT off it.

He's not the betting favourite, so we can say with almost certainty that he didn't actually have the best season this year, as the Brownlow is one of the rare betting markets that represents a competition that has already run its race.

Only umpire ineptitude could result in him winning this year, which is also what happened last year when he was given a 7% chance to win.

Just because someone erroneously wins an award (twice) that is determined by the most maligned and criticised figures in the sport, don't mean anyone's becoming the GOAT off it.
Neale was streets ahead of every player in 2020, definitely wasn't an erroneous win that year.

Not in the top 50 players in the last 20 years. So no, not the goat
You can't find a way to fit a dual brownlow medalist who has made three grand finals into the Top 50 from the last 20? I call BS.

I don't agree with the OP, I think it's comical to put him in any GOAT conversation but this is also a stretch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will always be a great player & I certainly rate Lachie Neale, I think he has improved to be more damaging but I still wouldn't put him up there with the best most damaging midfielders in the game.

And... I don't rate the Brownlow medal at all anymore, will not be watching it.

The AFL Treble
  • The Premeriship Medal
  • The Brownlow Medal
  • The Norm Smith Medal

It’s a great achievement. It doesn’t mean he’s reached a level of output that others have.

Collingwood fans last year were talking up Nick Daicos something chronic about achieving the treble in 2024. But he isn’t even playing finals footy so I doubt he can do it. Probably will get it in 2025.

Nope because he still won’t beat Dustys 2017 season of:

Brownlow, MVP, Coaches award, Gary Ayres award, NS, AA, B&F and a flag.

It will never be beaten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Could Lachie Neale be considered the GOAT if he wins the AFL treble?

Back