Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is how I view it

Errol is probably the best combination of elite kicking and aerobic ability

Nick is still very good at both but it’s his decision making that sets him apart

It’s so frustrating because you know he’ll look for a high damage option, so if he doesn’t take something obvious on you know he’s seen something even better

Hard to watch when you’re playing against Nick
Every club would love to have either of them.

Oh Errol - I would give everything; just become a Pie

Further to what I have written above its irrelevent to me that Daicos wins the award this year. Ist past the post in a field of hundreds with this format doesnt particularly seperate you. It's just a nice gong. If Daicos was 2nd or 3rd or 4th it wouldn't change my view of him.

Next step to get a stronger picture is put 2 years together. This is the 2023-24 totals

Daicos 99+117 = 216 43 games
Bont 102+93 = 195 46 games
Neale 91+97 = 188 45 games
Butters 109+78 = 187 46 games
Serong 86+100 = 186 45 games
Gulden 88+86 = 174 46 games
Cripps 60+113 = 173 44 games
Heeney <60+112 = <172 43 games
Merrett 76+80 = 156 45 games
Anderson 76+68 = 144 46 games

Thats the top 10. Heeney was outside the top 20 last year so got <60 votes but I haven't added them up.

If you go to the AFLCA site and look at the top 20 vote getters each year that they list from 2006 these are the best 2 year totals

Danger 16/17 242 votes
Daicos 23/24 216 votes
Martin 16/17 212 votes
Oliver 21/22 212 votes
Ablett 07/08 197 votes, 08/09 196 votes, 12/13 175 votes
Fyfe 14/15 195 votes
Bont 23/24 195 votes
Swan 10/12 194 votes

Pretty much aligns with who have been the absolute peak mids in the game through those year. Judds just back a bit but his real dynamic years were Eagles years and say Pendles/Mitchell/Selwood etc, mids who are all time greats but never the very top of the tree are just a little further back

Stretch it out over more years and it just rates and rates the elite players. Also makes you see 2nd and 3rd year Daicos as extraordinary.
Great research and points.

Ablett's "small" totals reflect a) the superstar mids have received serious vote inflation over the past 8 years and b) what happens when you are in an all time midfield rotation.

I don't think most people would actually believe all of the 2 year combos above Ablett's actually reflected better peak performance.

Score involvements is a very liberal stat that in many ways should favour the inside mid and yet Gulden is beating him at it.

He actually isn't

Daicos 30.7% SI, Gulden 28.9% SI.

Also score launches, Daicos 2.4 per game, Gulden 1.7.

Now let's compare who I think is the best player in the game right now

Bont score involvments percentage: 31.4%

Bont score launches: 2.2

As you can see, Daicos is more comparable to Bont than Gulden.

Less contested possessions makes sense given he is on the wing more.

Also not sure about kicking efficiency as that stat is not on footywire but his disposal efficiency is a fraction lower than Daicos but Daicos handballs the ball a lot more which should raise his efficiency a lot given handballing the ball is usually a lot easier.

In terms of Gulden's kicking though, he unlike most players does not go for the easy kick. He usually goes for much more high risk/high reward sort of kicks which tends to lower his stats a bit compared to the sideways chip kick players.

So what kind of kicks does Daicos do?

How is that evidence? If Mcrae is persistently overvoting his pet, then there's your difference between Daicos and the Bont right there. I'd agree that they've been 1 and 2 over the last two years, but I'd argue Bont has been better. I think the Players MVP is usually most accurate compared to Coaches or Brownlow.

I don't think he's overvoting Daicos, either way, there is no empirical way for you verify, not to even close to that.

Also did you consider the team and midfield Daicos has played for this year compared to Bont? Do you not realise the flaw in just awarding the same standard votes every game?

Also Gulden is clearly the best winger in the competition. Daicos is not the best in and under clearance player. Gulden is the best player for his position in 2024, Daicos is not.
He finds space more than Daicos does, he doesn't rely on his teammates to give him the ball as much.
Score involvements is a very liberal stat that in many ways should favour the inside mid and yet Gulden is beating him at it.
You just make shit up in your head and then post it as if it's factual. :$ :$ :$ :$

You just make shit up in your head and then post it as if it's factual. :$ :$ :$ :$
This was my favourite of those you quoted.

He finds space more than Daicos does, he doesn't rely on his teammates to give him the ball as much.

How does it work? Are the opposition giving the ball to Gulden in this space he's found?:

This thread simply cannot be taken seriously until it gets to over 500 pages. I expect it to get to the rarified air of the Adam Goodes thread (600+) over summer.

Until then...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread simply cannot be taken seriously until it gets to over 500 pages. I expect it to get to the rarified air of the Adam Goodes thread (600+) over summer.

Until then...
How long did it take for the Adam Goodes thread to get to 600 pages?

This thread has only been going for 6 months...

Dunno but Nicky won't this year. Cripps a monty
Both ridiculously short on Sportsbet at $2.50. Although I'm expecting Daicos to shorten even further when the Didaka news starts to filter through and gets processed by the smart money punters.

Only chance of him winning is if Fly has paid off the umps. Cripps far more consistent this year
You realise the people who are voting are the same breed as those who got Collingwood over the line in the Preliminary Final against GWS and Grand Final against Brisbane last year, don't you?

No pay off's required by Fly.

Both ridiculously short on Sportsbet at $2.50. Although I'm expecting Daicos to shorten even further when the Didaka news starts to filter through and gets processed by the smart money punters.
Cripps should be odds on.

Daicos about $4.

Bont and Neale a little shorter than they currently are. Particularly Bont - I reckon he'll get votes just for turning up given his recent near misses.

Cripps should be odds on.

Daicos about $4.

Bont and Neale a little shorter than they currently are. Particularly Bont - I reckon he'll get votes just for turning up given his recent near misses.
I've got no idea TBH. I don't understand how they get so many votes these days. I think there's a fair bit of bias towards the names in all the awards with it often being not that clear a hierarchy of votes - whereas they always give them to the high profile players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back