Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Got two spots in the GOTY finalists, his goal against Bris is definitely a contender, but surely there was another goal better than the one v GC. He gets rewarded for missing a target with a grubber, then chipping a hospital ball to a team mate. Lucky it came off but literally took three bites to do anything meaningful with it.

Merrett, Fritsch, Treloar all should have been put above that GC goal

Got two spots in the GOTY finalists, his goal against Bris is definitely a contender, but surely there was another goal better than the one v GC. He gets rewarded for missing a target with a grubber, then chipping a hospital ball to a team mate. Lucky it came off but literally took three bites to do anything meaningful with it.

He didn't even win GOTW for his one vs Brisbane. He's a great talent but the AFL really puts a target on his back by how they glaze him when it's underserved.

He didn't even win GOTW for his one vs Brisbane. He's a great talent but the AFL really puts a target on his back by how they glaze him when it's underserved.
I love Daicos as a player and person but do agree that his GOTY nom is really dumb given Moir won GOTW (and both GOTY and GOTW are voted on by fans)

No integrity to the award, which I suppose is just a bit of fun anyway

More of an indictment on the award than Nick, the goal is very good but it didn’t win GOTW so it shouldn’t be a GOTY nom

I love Daicos as a player and person but do agree that his GOTY nom is really dumb given Moir won GOTW (and both GOTY and GOTW are voted on by fans)

No integrity to the award, which I suppose is just a bit of fun anyway

More of an indictment on the award than Nick, the goal is very good but it didn’t win GOTW so it shouldn’t be a GOTY nom

It's marketing. Stopped having any menaing at all as an award when they shifted to public vote.

Moir's was a brilliant flick. But Nick's was more memorable - so it's better for marketing the game and also getting fans talking - as it's Daicos. Having two Nick goals in there also actually reduces the likelihood of him winning it, so it's good to create a bit of controversy as well.

With mark of the year - I think Hill or Elliott would be shoe ins if there was only one of them in the top 3 - but with Pies votes now split - the third mark will probably win.

It's terrible. 40m out, straight in front. Goal of the Year not once but twice. I'm surprised they didn't find a third goal of his to put in the voting but they decided to pick the 2nd most media saturated young player in the AFL.

The AFL just ruin everything.

It's marketing. Stopped having any menaing at all as an award when they shifted to public vote.

Moir's was a brilliant flick. But Nick's was more memorable - so it's better for marketing the game and also getting fans talking - as it's Daicos. Having two Nick goals in there also actually reduces the likelihood of him winning it, so it's good to create a bit of controversy as well.

With mark of the year - I think Hill or Elliott would be shoe ins if there was only one of them in the top 3 - but with Pies votes now split - the third mark will probably win.
Yes you’re probably right - it is powerful to have a top 3 player like Daicos in your GoTY contention for sure

Given it's primarily a public vote, Reid wins this in a landslide as he's not a Tall Poppy. Yet.

However, Daicos' goal against Gold Coast gets the nod from me. 3 separate involvements in the sequence of play, in addition to putting his team within a kick of a team that hadn't been beaten at home all season, with 10 minutes to go in the last quarter.

Last edited:
I watched replays of all 3 GOTY goals much more than any other goals this year, they were all epic imo

Maybe it's a matter of taste
Yeah it is subjective too hugely, and as a Carlton supporter I am still subject to bias for my boys and bias against the Pies

I just reckon both of the goals were similar but not as good as Walkers in 2011 which didn’t win it

Or even Acres goal against the Saints last year at 6:55

But there is something really appealing to Nicks kick for goal that does make it look epic, the way his arms go up during his natural kicking motion makes it look so smooth

Less annoyed than I was this morning after the chat here

Re-watch the kick to Hill. It was perfect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back