Opinion Could Lachie Neale be considered the GOAT if he wins the AFL treble?

Is Lachie Neale in the GOAT discussion if he wins the AFL treble in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't put much stock in the Brownlow as an indicator of how great a player is. It's mostly an umpire's pet midfielders award. Don't know if I'm in the minority but imo suspensions shouldn't factor either. The history books won't have Heeney as the best player over the season even when he clearly has been.

Having said that Neale is actually underrated as a player, imo, partly cos he doesnt do as much of the flashy stuff. But one of the cleanest/most damaging ball users Ive said. Maybe we should start having a conversation of him being in say the top 10 players of the late 10s and 20s.

Most lions fans won't have him as the GOAT. I feel that's ridiculous. But anyone claiming he isn't top 50 of the last 20 years is just out and out stupidity.
I mean the last 20 years their has been some crazy good players you add forwards, defenders not sure Lachie Neale is getting in, but if it's the top 50 midfielders in the last 20 years than yeah he gets in.

I mean the last 20 years their has been some crazy good players you add forwards, defenders not sure Lachie Neale is getting in, but if it's the top 50 midfielders in the last 20 years than yeah he gets in.
I know brownlow night can be controversial at times but he has won it twice. Very well could of been a 3 time brownlow medallist if it wasn't for an overturned decision (not saying right or wrong). He could poll top 3 if not win it this year too. That's a fairly sound effort that not alot of other players have done.

lol no, Lauchie Neale isn't currently and won't be considered in the top 100 players to ever play by the time he's finished, silly thread, silly op, end of discussion, close thread.

Where do you rate players like Bont and Fyfe then? They are a similar tiers no?

Neale is a little underrated imo. Flag this year might change it if he plays well in the GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you rate players like Bont and Fyfe then? They are a similar tiers no?

Neale is a little underrated imo. Flag this year might change it if he plays well in the GF.

Neale is just a really good mid, nothing else, not even special.

I can easily name 50 mids I've seen in my lifetime that are better, hell, there's currently at least 10 mids this season better, Bont being one of them. Fyfe got cooked with injuries, at his prime he was better, but the whole GOAT thing has that 'longevity' and 'consistency' thing attached to it so 'during their prime' doesn't apply for a discussion about top 100/GOAT.

He isn't going to grow wings and do something else he can't do, he is what he is now.

Is Pendlebury considered the GOAT because of his game in last years GF? No.

Anyone giving weight to the brownlow, adding it to some made up bs being part of something called the 'AFL Treble' is a nuffy and not a serious fan.

The brownlow is a nothing award, awarded by umpires that have the worst possible view of a game and they don't even get statistics, they don't get to review anything, they are on many occasions caught out tied to mafia/bookies, the entire award always has been and always will be a great way for bookies to rob stupid punters, the bets go in, the game is rigged so that the maximum takings can be had, the script is written and we all accept that JHF gets 3 votes in a game he had 12 useless touches in, Lauchie Neale wins the brownlow in a season where he realistically shouldn't have finished top 20 and life goes on.

So, I don't even know wtf this topic is about, it's a stupid assumption that Neale is anywhere near GOAT status and it's beyond stupid adding the brownlow as part of a players resume weighing up how good they are/were.

Only thing he is GOAT of is shit tattoos.
Agree. Probably the worst tattoos in the history of tattoos ..not just footy.

Worse than Wow Jones ..but his suited him.

Neale kicks like a wounded mule and is a good hard running midfielder.

His second awarded medal is a joke. But it’s not his fault the umpires are imbeciles.

3 time Brownlow winner besides Reynolds, Skilton, Bunton and Stewart would be so incredibly cringeworthy it’s not even funny.

Most lions fans won't have him as the GOAT. I feel that's ridiculous. But anyone claiming he isn't top 50 of the last 20 years is just out and out stupidity.
He isn’t top 50. You got 25 forwards and backs joining the top 25 mids of the last 20 years ..and he’s not in it.

It’s ridiculous to think otherwise

His second awarded medal is a joke. But it’s not his fault the umpires are imbeciles.
Makes up for the Cripps brownlow when he should have been rubbed out.

Agree. Probably the worst tattoos in the history of tattoos ..not just footy.

Worse than Wow Jones ..but his suited him.

Neale kicks like a wounded mule and is a good hard running midfielder.

3 time Brownlow winner besides Reynolds, Skilton, Bunton and Stewart would be so incredibly cringeworthy it’s not even funny.

And his first was during COVID where everybody had to play in Queensland. Massive advantage for him.

I know brownlow night can be controversial at times but he has won it twice. Very well could of been a 3 time brownlow medallist if it wasn't for an overturned decision (not saying right or wrong). He could poll top 3 if not win it this year too. That's a fairly sound effort that not alot of other players have done.
Ye but people always jump the gun and make GOAT threads all the time, it's embarassing imo.
I can name 4 Lions that would be rated hands down ahead of him & that's just 1 club out of 18.

Michael Voss
Simon Black
Jason Akermanis
Jonathan Brown

I am probably missing somoene great from the Lions 3-peat but those 4 names that come to mind that are hands down above Neale.

Ye but people always jump the gun and make GOAT threads all the time, it's embarassing imo.
I can name 4 Lions that would be rated hands down ahead of him & that's just 1 club out of 18.

Michael Voss
Simon Black
Jason Akermanis
Jonathan Brown

I am probably missing somoene great from the Lions 3-peat but those 4 names that come to mind that are hands down above Neale.
Add Lappin and there’s 5 by a country mile more damaging than Neale

Michael Voss
Simon Black
Jason Akermanis
Jonathan Brown

I think you are a bit harsh, but of course its about how you work out what makes a GOAT. Quality? Quantity? Do you include how versatile they were?

For mine Voss and Aker yes, Black its close, Brown no.

Voss was a very good mid, superb big game player and among the best captains ever.

Aker was a brilliant rover, best of his era, and I think more consistent and more skilled than Voss. His best footy was better too. Not a leaders bumhole though.

Simon Black was a Pendlebury like accumulator, so consistent and skilled. I feel even though he is acknowledged he is still underrated.

Its close but I think Neale is better than Black, not quite as skilled but even more consistent and has some leadership qualities, in that he seems to set a great example, and organises his boys. Not in the same universe as Voss as a leader.

Jonathon Brown had about two seasons at the top level, superb courageous KPF. The rest of the time he was a gunna, or a cooda. At his best he looked an all time champion, but for such a short window? I have to admit the hype around him was annoying while guys like Chris Johnson, Black and Leppa seemed to do the heavy lifting during the flag years.

Voss and Aker were hyped too but they lived up to it. Brown is cited as some gold standard, as a 21st century KPF I have him behind both Riewoldts, Hawkins and probably Lloyd too. I count Franklin as a flanker, but he's better than all of them. Was Brown actually better than Alastair Lynch? Not on how he looked (Brown looked better), I mean his actual importance to the team, and effectiveness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Could Lachie Neale be considered the GOAT if he wins the AFL treble?

Back