Cousins or Pratt? Who has brought the game into disrepute more?

Remove this Banner Ad

YellowandBlackBlood

Bigfooty Superstar
Jun 25, 2007
Parts unknown
AFL Club
Richmond
On the one hand, we have a troubled young man who has a medical condition (drug addiction) that he has admitted to and is seeking help for.
On the other hand, we have a wise (cunning) elderly businessman and current Blues' president who has made around 700 million dollars from price fixing (and that is the public's money in the end), who admits to it and then is fined 36 million dollars. This is a white collar crime that is punishable in many other countries with a jail sentence.
Question. Who has brought the game into disrepute more? The young guy who has mainly hurt himself and his family or the older guy who has robbed everyone in the country through price fixing?
I know who I would choose.....

On the one hand, we have a troubled young man who has a medical condition (drug addiction) that he has admitted to and is seeking help for.
On the other hand, we have a wise (cunning) elderly businessman and current Blues' president who has made around 700 million dollars from price fixing (and that is the public's money in the end), who admits to it and then is fined 36 million dollars. This is a white collar crime that is punishable in many other countries with a jail sentence.
Question. Who has brought the game into disrepute more? The young guy who has mainly hurt himself and his family or the older guy who has robbed everyone in the country through price fixing?

Just to set something right, the $700 million dollars is the alleged value of the class action that Maurice Blackburn Cashman have suggested will be mounted against both Visy & Amcor & of course we know that is nothing more than an ambit claim. MBC are very good at exaggerating the value of a potential lawsuit.

As far as bringing the game into disrepute, the price-fixing occurred between 2001 & 2004, a period during which Pratt held no official capacity at the Carlton Football Club & during which he stated ,when first elected to the presidency, that he had been away from the club because he did not know many of the people involved with the club at that time (ie the board). The price-fixing had nothing to do with the Carlton Football Club or the AFL & was not committed by anyone who held an official capacity with either organisation.

If we were to use your logic it could be argued that Jeff Kennett brought the game into disrepute because during his time as Premier of Victoria he closed down several schools, hospitals, railway lines & sacked thousands of teachers, nurses & public servants. Silly isn't it?

On the other hand, Ben Cousins was an employee of the West Coast Eagles Football Club & a registered AFL player when his misdemeanours were taking place. That makes him accountable to both organisations. Do you see the difference?

Pratt has committed the worse offense, Cousins has brought the game into disrepute more.

The Pratt issue has barely impacted the AFL while the Cousins one has brought up the whole issue of drug in the AFL and the AFL testing regime and duty of care for clubs.

LMAO I love it how you make out Cousins is some innocent guy who got caught up with the wrong crowd.....

Cousins had a choice not to get involved with scumbags and do drugs, just like Pratt has his choice not to price fix.

It's also convenient you mention Pratt could go to jail for what he has done in other countries. Well maybe I should bring up if Cousins was convicted of what he has admitted to, in some countries he would be facing the death penalty right about now.

Please next time you feel like trolling don't mask it behind an objective thread :)

who brought the game more into disrepute more?

look at it this way, kids wouldn't even know who Pratt is, but will ask what happened to Cousins

stop trolling

Pratt who? The thing that went on with Pratt has been ongoing for a couple of years and had nothing to do with football. Cousins has brought the game into disrepute on several occasions and on a regular basis. At least Pratt had the balls to take responsibility for his actions/inactions, something Cousins has ran away from on every single occasion.

Carlton should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute for having a president who swindled 700 million dollars off the Australian people.

LMAO I love it how you make out Cousins is some innocent guy who got caught up with the wrong crowd.....

Cousins had a choice not to get involved with scumbags and do drugs, just like Pratt has his choice not to price fix.

It's also convenient you mention Pratt could go to jail for what he has done in other countries. Well maybe I should bring up if Cousins was convicted of what he has admitted to, in some countries he would be facing the death penalty right about now.

Please next time you feel like trolling don't mask it behind an objective thread :)

Are you happy with your president ?

Carlton should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute for having a president who swindled 700 million dollars off the Australian people.

What has the actions of Richard Pratt/Visy between 2001 & 2004 got to do with the Carlton Football Club in 2007? The 2 are totally separate. It is not that hard to work out. If you want to talk about bringing the game into disrepute, how about the Essendon/Hawthorn 'line in the sand' game? Or Kevin Sheedy running his finger across his throat in a threatening action & then belting his fist into his hand after pointing at an opposition player? These are incidents that happened on the football field, not in the business world, totally removed from the AFL.

We are happy with the way our president has helped turn our club around financially, employed the right people, made it attractive to one of the best players in the competition & encouraged several wealthy supporters to make healthy contributions to the club. What he has done in his non-Carlton, business dealings has been dealt with by the appropriate authority/court & is nothing to do with our club & certainly did not occur after he took on our presidency earlier this year. If he was subsequently found to have breached any laws since he took over the presidency of our his position would be untenable. That is not the case, so we are happy for him to stay & see out the next 12 months before he hands over the reins as always planned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pratt should not been able to be a CEO or be on any boards including Carlton.

$31 million is loose change for this bloke. It's nothing but a slap on the wrist.

Pratt has committed the worse offense, Cousins has brought the game into disrepute more.

The Pratt issue has barely impacted the AFL while the Cousins one has brought up the whole issue of drug in the AFL and the AFL testing regime and duty of care for clubs.

Agreed. I haven't heard anyone talk about 'price fixing cultures' amongst AFL administrators due to the actions of Pratt.

Wrong. Drug users/addicts in these countries you speak of are given every assistance to rehabilitate. It is only those that are caught trafficking/supplying that may receive the death penalty. And as we all know, Cousins has never been caught in possession or failed a drug test.

Please next time you feel like making a legal argument to protect your criminal president, do your research.

Pratt should not been able to be a CEO or be on any boards including Carlton.
I guess that includes the people who set the petrol prices in this country.

Pratt hasn't been banned from sitting on any boards like Elliott because he ran companies into the ground. Pratt's offences have nothing at all to do with football and shouldn't force him out from Carlton. The irony of an organisation deciding if Pratt is fit to be President due to a social cancer like pokies has been lost on the "intellects" who want him gone. Pokies and gambling has done more damage to the community than price fixing ever will.

Every club other would gladly take Pratt's money and sacrifice their morals if he wanted to join their board.

You're delusional if you think otherwise.

Funny how the liberal party haven't followed through with implementing a criminal conviction for price fixing. In regards the the forum question I think Pratt should be behind bars and is responsible for ripping millions of dollars off Australians (he's probably taken a few cents off most people in this forum). Has he brought the game into disrepute? well you could argue his attachment to the league in his role as a club president does so but the AFL approved that in full knowledge of the case against him.

Cousins I have mixed feelings about. To be honest he has brought the game into disrepute with his initial transgresion. However the latest infraction (the sleeping tablets in the car) is just an entire media/police beat up and as I'm 100% sure all charges will be dropped. If this is the case as I'm fairly sure it will be then he either should have been deregistered and charged initially or stuck with by the AFL.

To answer the question I beleive Pratt's association with the game is a stain upon the competition as a whole and thus more worthy of the catch all 'bringing the game into disrepute' charge. He belongs behind bars.

Am I happy with what Pratt has done in his time as Carlton president, absolutely. He has instilled a sense of belief that has not been around the place in a long time. As well as bringing other wealthy supporters back into the mix to help the club.

Am I happy with what he has done outside of football? Well not really, but it doesn't bother me to be honest. Pratt has had this looming over his head for a couple of years and interestingly nobody says anything until now (BF that is)

Wrong. Drug users/addicts in these countries you speak of are given every assistance to rehabilitate. It is only those that are caught trafficking/supplying that may receive the death penalty. And as we all know, Cousins has never been caught in possession or failed a drug test.

Please next time you feel like making a legal argument to protect your criminal president, do your research.

Actually you are wrong, if you are caught with a specific amount depending on the country you can get the death penalty. So thanks but try again.

And also if you look at my post I was careful in saying that if he WAS convicted of what he has admitted to. I never said he was caught :)

Cousins is an idiot and so is Pratt. Life goes on....

We are happy with the way our president has helped turn our club around financially, employed the right people, made it attractive to one of the best players in the competition & encouraged several wealthy supporters to make healthy contributions to the club. What he has done in his non-Carlton, business dealings has been dealt with by the appropriate authority/court & is nothing to do with our club & certainly did not occur after he took on our presidency earlier this year. If he was subsequently found to have breached any laws since he took over the presidency of our his position would be untenable. That is not the case, so we are happy for him to stay & see out the next 12 months before he hands over the reins as always planned.

elliot.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Cousins or Pratt? Who has brought the game into disrepute more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back