Rumour Cousins To Walk Away

Remove this Banner Ad

Today Tonight are reporting that Cousins is telling close friends that he will walk away at seasons end even if the club offers him a new contract.

What ever happens he has come back and done alright. Would be great if he could go around one more time. But its up to him.

and he said on radio on Tuesday that he wanted to play, but was happy to walk away if not ... chinese whispers, and "close friends" is journo speak for "made it up"

Why would he wait until offereda contract before walking away? Why wouldn't he just call it quits.
Pissant Tpday Tonight. Who hosts that pile of shit these days anyway?

Isn't it Matthew White these days?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tdt said the doco will be screened before the end of the home and away, and Cuzes mate Healy just said it will be on in about 10 days time. So i doubt part 1 will it replace Better Homes and Garden Friday week, and part 2 screened a few hours after we have played the Saints the following day. Way to much of a distraction for Cuz, so Sunday 22nd would be my tip.

Also Sheehan said he doubts Cuz will play and it doesnt have anything to do with the doco, and Healy said after talking to March on the weekend he also doubts he will play on.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm merely reporting what was said.
Ok Caro. Why do you hate Ben so much? When up and running he is one of our best midfielders. While yes technically he should be moved on due to age, he his still a very good footballer and the benefits of keeping him far outweigh the negatives (i.e. mentoring of players). A prime example was the Adelaide game where he was giving Dustin Martin some wise words along the boundary while they were having a break and then they both came on and dominated... helping seal the game. That is only one, out of countless examples of his mentoring abilities.

Even though I want him to go on.... I dont think the club want the extra media attention for another season. He is averaging career high disposals I might add as well. Our Midfield is too young and raw still to handle him not there I dont think.... It might be able to for a few weeks, but for a whole season they need that mature body of his to be a battering ram.

I especially love the turn of phrase "walking away" and what it implies

If it was James Hird he would be "retiring"

If he himself chooses not to play then he is retiring ... pure and simple

He is not "turning his back" or "walking away"

he will be retiring having milked every last drop out of himself both physically and mentally and he is one footballer that they can say did not leave a drop out on the park .

But the masses lap this shit up don't they :rolleyes:

I especially love the turn of phrase "walking away" and what it implies

If it was James Hird he would be "retiring"

If he himself chooses not to play then he is retiring ... pure and simple

He is not "turning his back" or "walking away"

he will be retiring having milked every last drop out of himself both physically and mentally and he is one footballer that they can say did not leave a drop out on the park .

But the masses lap this shit up don't they :rolleyes:

My gut feel is he's "walking away" for this very reason.

He'll play on next season, no doubt! Let's be honest here, Cousins decided to prolong his AFL career by joining us last season and whilst in great form, why would he sacrifice retirement this season when mentoring a promising group of young onballers next year! Cotchin, Martin and co will relish playing alongside Cousins for another 22 rounds (& hopefully beyond)!

Personally I want to see him stay on. However, I can see both sides of the argument.
Pro's:
- Is in our best 5-7 players
- Mentors the kids
- Asset on the training park and on gameday

Con's
- Media hysteria around the club
- Off-field issues - (no matter how small, it will be front page news - Akermanis syndrome)
- Risk that his body won't hold up
- A kid misses out on the list.

The club is saying this will be purely a football decision, however, that is very unlikely, so I tend to think he is gone. I hope not:(

hmm, Today Tonight, now there's a reputable source of truth.

with ACA only a nose away from the lead

If there is any truth to this rumour then kill. Me. Now.

This

I will be happy if I get to see him play another season and I will sit back and say 'wow, it has finally sunk in, ben cousins played for richmond and he played fantastically' I just want to let it all sink in and enjoy watching my hero play another season of footy.

It still hasn't sunk in that he is playing for us, I'm still in shock from the news that we picked him up. If he retires or whatever, I will cry (no homo)

- Risk that his body won't hold up

- A kid misses out on the list.

The club is saying this will be purely a football decision, however, that is very unlikely, so I tend to think he is gone. I hope not

You have to take risks with a player as good and experienced as Cuz.

I don't think any players are missing out on being on the list, surely Dimma isn't that stupid, he would switch it all around so everyone who deserves to have a crack in the first team will get their place.

But agree with it not being a football decision, shit hit the fan when the sleeping pill incident arose, Dimma hasn't spoken of Cuz as highly since then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Cousins To Walk Away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back