Coventry , Lockett to be replaced by Lloyd and ?? for Dons games at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

If Essendon still played at Windy Hill i wouldn't have a problem with them temporarily renaming (for a couple of hours each week) the R.S Reynolds stand to the Matthew Lloyd stand or the A. Hird stand to the James Hird stand.

I'm sorry (and I'm not having a go at you Jim) but who wants a "temporary renaming (for a couple of hours each week)" of a stand.

If you're good enough they name a stand after you. Forever while it still stands. If you're not get stuffed- you don't get some part time bullshit. It's disrespectful to the greats. You'll get your chance, more than a few months after you retire, if people remember you or you have some records.

The whole thing is a marketing ploy and i'm embarrassed as an Aussie that you suckers are falling for it.

Essendon's marketing department are pushing things too far. I like the whole setup we have for home games at Etihad where we deck out the place in red and black, with the exception of that flipping air siren, but there's no need to temporarily re-name the ends of the grounds.

If anything, Lloyd would feel insulted that the club would try to honour him after what seemed to be an acrimonious finish to his career by just hanging a banner at the end of the ground.

Poor form and I hope it doesn't go ahead.

The Dogs call the wing the Doug Hawkins wing although it's not officially recognized by the management of ES.

Many North fans call the city side wing the Keith Greig wing.

In the VFL GF they named one of the Ends for the night, the Cook end (after Fred Cook).

Yep, and the other end of the ground was the "Frosty Miller" end.

Richo owns the G.

The Richo Football Stadium.:)

Close, I'd name an area of the ground after him "Dummy-Spit Pocket" :)

On topic, if it's just a banner for Essendon games, that's fine. Llyod was a very good goalkicker for Essendon, but wasn't better than those names currently on the stands.

thats a insult to the two great men in coventry and lockett. lloyd was'nt good enough to clean thier boots. lloyd don't even rate close to the calibre of lockett and coventry. I'm surprized the collingwood ferals have'nt done anything against it yet.

The Dogs call the wing the Doug Hawkins wing although it's not officially recognized by the management of ES.

I guess the difference is the wings aren't actually named after anyone.

Maybe every team could rename the ends for their home games at EddieHad Stadium.For Geelong we could have the Matt McCarthy end and the Brett Spinks end.The forward pocket would be named after Kent Kingsley,as that's where a lot of his shots at goal ended up ;)

Seriously, what does it matter?

It's OUR home game, and as long as the management at Etihad Stadium don't have a problem with it (which they won't) we can do as we damn well please.

Many of the posters on this thread are good people, so I don't mean to offend when I say that if you are NOT an Essendon fan, your opinion is worth exactly squat on this point. It's done by Essendon, for Essendon people.

Essendon began 'theming' Etihad this year for home games, and I really liked it. The big posters, colours, the air raid signal or really made it a 'home' ground which most Melbourne clubs sadly lack nowadays.

My guess is that Hird will get the nod for the other end.

You're right, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. But, these temporary re-namings, to me, just seem like a really cheap, meaningless and contrived way of honouring a club great. I don't imagine Lloyd would be very moved by the temporary honour. Meanwhile, to take the name away from Lockett, Coventry etc. for however short a period of time is showing disrespect to these players and disregard for why they had the honour bestowed upon them in the first place.

I guess the other thing is, by naming the ends, isn't the purpose to be able to, you know, distinguish the ends from each other? Well, how are we going to be able to do that, when they keep changing the names?

Call the other end the wanganeen end.

As the poster above said - cheap and meaningless suits them

LOL about the "Mcflee" thing - didnt he come from freo initially ?

I'm taking bets on how long it takes essndon and richmond to swap coaches

While they are renaming things - why not rename the merchandise shop to be the Essendon shop because much of the profit goes to them. then other clubs fans can make a decision about whethere they want even more money going into that club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no problem with it, it's not as if I am going to call a certain area on the ground "The Matthew Lloyd End".

When did the public ever get a say on what these ends would be called, and why were they named after 2 full forwards? Why not have one end named after a full back?

Sydney and Collingwood don't even play home games at the ground, so I don't see why Lockett and Coventry names should even be listed there.

Carlton, Essendon, North, StKilda and the Bulldogs play home matches at the docklands.

Why not have the Coleman and Soapy Vallence ends, The Keith Greig and Doug Hawkins wings and the Ian Stewart centre square?

The Dogs call the wing the Doug Hawkins wing although it's not officially recognized by the management of ES. In the VFL GF they named one of the Ends for the night, the Cook end (after Fred Cook).

Difference to me is that the wing does not have an offical name. Doggies not detracting from someone who was honoured by the ground already.

Collingwood do play home games there & St. Kilda,

Collingwood are based at the G. :rolleyes:

9 home games at the G and 2 at Docklands in 2010.

The Docklands is NOT Collingwoods home ground.

the home of Lockett for the majority of his career, also play home games there.

Tony Lockett 183 games for St Kilda at 4.9 goals per game.
John Coleman 98 games for Essendon at 5.5 goals per game.

If you like the ends could be named after Lockett and Coleman wit Greig and Hawkins on the wings and the centre square named after Greg Williams.

The "Lloyd" end - WTF?

Just read in the HS about essendon's plans to cover up the Coventry & Lockett end signage at Docklands and re-name them with essendon players. Do the bomebers own the stadium? I don't know how they think they can get away with this. Coventry & Lockett are the two greaest goal-kickers,which is why they are honered in this way. To replace them with essendon players is kind of pathetic.

From an Essendon supporter's perspective, I think its great, honoring a legend of our club. I also like the idea of opening up to members who we should name the other end after (My vote would be for Hird, Coleman or Fletch)

I dont see the issue, we are in no way disrespecting Coventry/Lockett, just honouring our club greats. If your club came up this idea, you would not be opposed to it Im sure

Remove this Banner Ad

Coventry , Lockett to be replaced by Lloyd and ?? for Dons games at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back