Craig Foster, again....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how many games of soccer you guys have actually watched but there's rarely games that finish 0-0 these days. Most games have a least 1 goal in them.

You have to concede there is a fundamental flaw in a game where the aim is to score goals, but scoring the most goals doesn't neccessarily win you the match. :eek:
On the vast majority of occasions it does however.

For instance, only one VFL/AFL grand final has been won by a side scoring less goals than their opposition.

So even if you consider it to be a flaw, it is only a minor one.

Not sure how many games of soccer you guys have actually watched but there's rarely games that finish 0-0 these days. Most games have a least 1 goal in them.
8.5% of games in the A-League this year.

The AFL is the only code where they go "Well, you tried, here, have a consolation point".

Deal with it.

A consolation point...what the two soccer teams get after a nil-nil draw.

A point for failing at the aim of the game.

Pure gold. I think the soccer apologist went down clutching his toenail after that tremendous shirtfront. :thumbsu:

I doubt the number of footy games won by the team scoring less goals but more points overall is anything near 8.5% per season.

Just from a quick count, there was ONE game last year (out of 186) where a team managed to win with less goals than the opposition. The draws (I think there were 3) had both teams with a differing amount of goals.

There were a handful of games where the losing team had more scoring shots and probably should have won if they kicked straighter. This actually shows to some extent that our scoring system does reward goals, and that you still get punished on the scoreboard for missing.

On the vast majority of occasions it does however.

For instance, only one VFL/AFL grand final has been won by a side scoring less goals than their opposition.

So even if you consider it to be a flaw, it is only a minor one.

Cold comfort to St Kilda fans who watched their team score the most goals in the Grand Final last year only to see the flag go to Collingwood.

Actually, one point goes begging as a punishment for the draw. Although I note that AFL divides the points evenly in their draws.

So its similar to footy where 5 points go begging for not hitting the middle of the scoring zone.

Soccer used to split the points for a draw too, what's your point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So its similar to footy where 5 points go begging for not hitting the middle of the scoring zone.

Soccer used to split the points for a draw too, what's your point?

Well, really, at this point, I'm humouring you, because you can't compare what happens on the field to the external administration rules.

114 years ago our forefathers had the foresight to work out that the addition of behinds, the minor score, would reduce the incidence of draws - and it has worked a treat ever since.

The VFL/AFL grand final has been drawn 3 times in 114 years.

Fortunately, where draws have occurred, rare as they are, we've had the luxury of being able to replay the grand final, and decide the premier on the basis of the winner winning from excelling on the field of play, actually playing the game in question.

On the other hand, soccer has had two drawn world cups in the last 16 years alone, and has had to determine the world champion on the basis of a funny little side activity AFTER the actual game has finished. Bizzarro.

A bit like not running the 100m footrace to decide the fastest person, but deciding to play a game of backgammon to determine it instead.

Well, really, at this point, I'm humouring you, because you can't compare what happens on the field to the external administration rules.

Hang on, you were the one making a song & dance about 'consolation points' for 'failure'.

Now that its been pointed out to you that soccer awards them too, its all oh well we can't compare what happens on the field to the external administration rules.

What a load of twaddle.

Hang on, you were the one making a song & dance about 'consolation points' for 'failure'.

Now that its been pointed out to you that soccer awards them too, its all oh well we can't compare what happens on the field to the external administration rules.

What a load of twaddle.

So you think it's entire apt to compare on field rules to off field administration?

9781740512220.jpg

Australian soccer legend, Johhny Warren also used the word (as the title of his authorised biography, no less..)

He must be racist, too.. :rolleyes:

Johnnny Warren wasn't using wog as a derogatroy term. He was using it to showcase and expose the ignorance and racism of those that DO use the term in the normal derogatory manner.

successful reverse troll?

Anyway, chewy, you're an idiot.
So... because I used a term considered offensive by certain folks, you thought you'd just come straight out and attack me personally by using an offensive word of your own. That makes sense. :rolleyes:

The word, "idiot" was a medical term from an outdated classification system, used to describe people of varying degrees of mental ******ation. An idiot was a person deemed to have the mental age of a three year old and IQ of less than 25.

As far as I'm aware, it against the house rules to denigrate other posters and use offensive words such "moron", "imbecile" and "idiot".

Hypocrite.

Yes it is.

Especially so given that your initial argument was a great big song & dance about 'consolation points for failure'.

One is distributing in-game score points based on the actions of the players during the game, with AFL being the only code where there is a type of score that is unwanted and given as a consolation for failing to acquire the desired score.

The other is distributing administrative points to club based on the results of their games. No points that are issued are unwanted, all are valuable.

Johnnny Warren wasn't using wog as a derogatroy term. He was using it to showcase and expose the ignorance and racism of those that DO use the term in the normal derogatory manner.
Yes, that's true. I'm well aware of that. I'm not an IDIOT.:D

Why can Johnny use a word in an ironic sense, but I'm not allowed to?

I've never called anyone a wog in my entire life, but I reserve the right to (occasionally) use the Australian colloquial expression, "Wogball" because it aptly describes a game which is mostly enjoyed here in Oz by people of ethnic persuasion. It's a generalisation, but mostly true.

"Wogball" isn't just a derogarory term against people's ethnicity, but describes a sitaution where some people are unable to assimilate in their new, adopted country and let go of their old customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back