Toast Crows pushing for 60,000 members in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

It increases the profit margins because when you have more wins, more people are likely to be interested in signing up to being a member of the club.

It's also easier to attract marquee sponsors.

Which group of clubs historically struggle to attract marquee sponsors? Clubs with low membership bases.

Members are the lifeblood of a football club.

If you agree with that, then you must also agree that a successful club owes its very existence to its members.

I don't see how you could view it any other way.

You can't on the one hand make positive associations between high membership numbers and the hallmarks of a successful club (wins, money, sponsors) and then on the other hand claim the club owes nothing to its members. They are two diametrically opposed ideals.

Edit - not directed at you Stab, but some others.

I agree that the club owes its existence to its members, but only in the same way any business entity owes its existence to its customers. If they can make a move that makes them more profitable despite pissing the customers (members) off, then they'll do it. They don't "owe" us to do whatever we want them to do.

No not the same way. Not the same way at all

Tell me, do we pay tax on profits?
Why not?

There's your answer.

Ps. Businesses live & die by their ability to give customers what they want

You just have to wonder how club get these new members in drives. I've figured one out for Brisbane Lions.

Registered my son for the Brisbane Lions Academy Summer Training program. Essentially, for $35 you get a bunch of stuff, have a one hour training session with Academy coaches, then tour the Gabba facility. It's nothing special, but it's holidays and I'm desperate! In the bunch of stuff they are given, they get access to 3 games at the gabba. Only yesterday I get a call from Lions membership asking me for the names (I registered another boy too) so they could enter the details for their 3 game memberships!

Cheeky buggers. Wonder if other clubs do that too?

You just have to wonder how club get these new members in drives. I've figured one out for Brisbane Lions.

Registered my son for the Brisbane Lions Academy Summer Training program. Essentially, for $35 you get a bunch of stuff, have a one hour training session with Academy coaches, then tour the Gabba facility. It's nothing special, but it's holidays and I'm desperate! In the bunch of stuff they are given, they get access to 3 games at the gabba. Only yesterday I get a call from Lions membership asking me for the names (I registered another boy too) so they could enter the details for their 3 game memberships!

Port signed me up as a 'e-member' because I purchased away showdown tickets.

Not as bad but Collingwood were selling Adelaide based supporters "Memberships" including Hat and Scarf + a ticket to their Port game for $50. Looks like they were doing it for a lot of their home and away matches against smaller teams as well as some big ones. Easy to do when your playing in a 100000 seat stadium I guess.

collingwood members0.jpg

collingwood members2.jpg collingwood members.jpg

I don't like it from a reporting numbers point of view, but maybe we should of looked at something similar for away Showdowns if it made us some money...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Membership number should be total games access ÷ 11 to give the real number.

Eg 3.67 three game memberships counts as one member

Agree that would be an interesting stat to have. I guess that and profit from memberships are the actual important numbers. No point having 50,000 members if your not making any money off them, Collingwood for example cant be making much on those packs assuming they have to pay for the tickets? although maybe its a good loophole for them if they can get more for selling a ticket as a membership rather than a fan buying a single match ticket from the AFL. I guess there is also the benefit of acquiring the email/mailing details of supporters so they can directly market other products and packages later.

Does it really matter? I've just shown how clubs are artificially boosting their member numbers, it's ridiculous.

I would think like Ports that tally would be fairly meaningless this year anyway with the early sign ups and renewals because of AO seat selection and interest. Be good to know how many new members we get after that though I suppose.

Does it really matter? I've just shown how clubs are artificially boosting their member numbers, it's ridiculous.

Not particularly, but I am interested to know what impact the move to Adelaide Oval has had. Plus, they released the campaign for the 60,000 "We're Ready To Fly" but haven't really told us how many more they needed to achieve that.

For the record, I believe that only 11-Game members should be counted to the tallies, otherwise, as we've seen with Collingwood and other pet membership-offering clubs, the tally isn't accurate.

I hereby submit to the club that I will trade in my 11-game membership and purchase 11 x 1 game memberships. Same cost, same attendance, ten more members.

Maybe we could count members with SANFL access (which is everyone from the $85 bronze membership up) separately. New target 120,000 members!

Another good measure of membership would be how much money the clubs have raised from memberships. Because really, that's what actually matters.

Agreed.

Let's take it a step further and look at financials and premierships. With financials an indication of how much support we can bring to bear to support chasing the premierships. Because that's the only reason we want money right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Crows pushing for 60,000 members in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back