Cyril Rioli

Should Cyril Play Next Week

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn must roll the dice in order to have any chance of winning, Sydney have been the number one team this year and are in better form going into this week's game. Rioli plays.
No they don't. They match up well with Sydney. The last thing they need is do something stupid like 'roll the dice'.

Personally if I have a player that might not be able to finish the game, then I want the option to take him off and have him replaced if he does get injured, rather than not having him impact for 3 qtrs of the game and then if he gets injured not being able to replace him

If they play him as the sub and bring him on in the third qtr, then they could end up with 1 fit player in the red vest while Cyril is sitting there with a hammy done, down to 2 rotations

If Cyril is a certainty to pop his hammy, then isnt it better that he starts and does it, and then can be subbed off, rather than be subbed on for a fit player and then have 2 players off the ground in the last qtr?

If that is the case he shouldn't play. But he isn't certain to pop his hammy, he got through most of yesterday's game didn't he?

If they match up well with Sydney, why do they lose to them unexpectedly continuously (such as early 2012 in Tassie and the 2012 GF)?
What are you on about? They beat Sydney 3 times last year and won the most recent match up. In fact Port were far more dangerous to Hawthorn because of their game plan.

If the game goes down to the wire, which it often does between these two teams, wouldn't you want Rioli roaming the forward line late in the final quarter than on the bench?

Of course? Why do you think if he starts on the ground his hammy will go, but if he starts as the sub it wont?

If hes hammy is weak and will break at full pace, thats gonna happen within the first 5 minutes of him being on the ground, whether its the first 5 minutes of the last qtr of the game

In one of those scenarios, you cant replace him, in the other you can

I'd rather be able to replace him

What are you on about? They beat Sydney 3 times last year and won the most recent match up.

Sydney beat them earlier in the year at Homebush and beat them twice in 2012. True about 2013 but Sydney were a lot weaker last year than this year or 2012 due to mass injuries/no Franklin.

Of course? Why do you think if he starts on the ground his hammy will go, but if he starts as the sub it wont?

If hes hammy is weak and will break at full pace, thats gonna happen within the first 5 minutes of him being on the ground, whether its the first 5 minutes of the last qtr of the game

In one of those scenarios, you cant replace him, in the other you can

I'd rather be able to replace him

No proof that it would definitely take five minutes to pop. Or that fast running would cause it. Remember last year he did his hammy over stretching while falling forwards.

Sydney beat them earlier in the year at Homebush and beat them twice in 2012. True about 2013 but Sydney were a lot weaker last year than this year or 2012 due to mass injuries/no Franklin.
And Hawthorn were a lot weaker when they lost to Sydney earlier this year. Even then they only lost narrowly. So this roll the dice talk is pure stupidity.

No proof that it would definitely take five minutes to pop. Or that fast running would cause it. Remember last year he did his hammy over stretching while falling forwards.

lol theres no proof how its going to happen or how, so why have him as the sub?

if its a purely random event, why would you have such a talented player as sub?

And Hawthorn were a lot weaker when they lost to Sydney earlier this year. Even then they only lost narrowly. So this roll the dice talk is pure stupidity.

Do you think Hawthorn will win this Saturday the way they have been going so far this finals series? They beat Geelong, who no longer have a hold over them and are getting past it as shown by their straight sets exit, and only just got over Port. Sydney on the other hand blew away North and outmuscled a very good contested footy team in Freo. Hawthorn must take a risk or two or will be left to wonder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lack of match fitness. Even if his hammy is right he hasn't run out a full game in a long time.

ok well this is a completely different reason entirely, why have we been talking his hammy for the last half hour?

ignoring his hamstring then the sub is a viable option. If the decision to sub him is hamstring related then it doesnt make any sense at all.

I'd still have him starting as he isnt a real gut running midfielder

ok well this is a completely different reason entirely, why have we been talking his hammy for the last half hour?

ignoring his hamstring then the sub is a viable option. If the decision to sub him is hamstring related then it doesnt make any sense at all.

I'd still have him starting as he isnt a real gut running midfielder

Well as you might have guessed I think Hawthorn should pick him as the sub and let him loose sometime in the premiership quarter.

I may be wrong but I don't believe Cyril has ever re-injured his hammy in any of his previous returns. I believe the smallest amount of games between re-occurrence has been about 4 games. He's also come back and had an impact first game back in the past and sometimes he doesn't. Which is in line with his regular form which can sometimes see him be a match winner and other times just be a role player.

Club/coaches will make the right call. They have a lot more to lose by getting it wrong than any Hawks supporters. Unless of course you bet your house on us winning in which case you probably deserve to live on the streets for being so dumb!

Do you think Hawthorn will win this Saturday the way they have been going so far this finals series? They beat Geelong, who no longer have a hold over them and are getting past it as shown by their straight sets exit, and only just got over Port. Sydney on the other hand blew away North and outmuscled a very good contested footy team in Freo. Hawthorn must take a risk or two or will be left to wonder.
I think it's a 50/50 game. So no need to throw the hail mary. Just play fit players and whichever team perform the best will win the GF. It ridiculous to think they need to pull some crazy move like playing an unfit Rioli to win. That's what got them in 2012, underdone players, I don't think they should go down the same path.

I think it's a 50/50 game. So no need to throw the hail mary. Just play fit players and whichever team perform the best will win the GF. It ridiculous to think they need to pull some crazy move like playing an unfit Rioli to win. That's what got them in 2012, underdone players, I don't think they should go down the same path.

Who did Hawthorn have underdone that year in the GF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril Rioli

Back