D4 2010 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great win by the Richmond Central reserves at Manningham. With Swinburne Unis surprise loss to Mt. Lilydale, RC leapfrogs Swinburne into 4th (although it makes no major difference) and they play off on Saturday morning at Vermont Reserve.
Were Swinburne resting players?

Great win by the Richmond Central reserves at Manningham. With Swinburne Unis surprise loss to Mt. Lilydale, RC leapfrogs Swinburne into 4th (although it makes no major difference) and they play off on Saturday morning at Vermont Reserve.
Were Swinburne resting players?

Looking by the senior results, I'd say they were throwing everything at Mt. Lilydale in the seniors, in the hope of scraping into the 5, especially with the reserves safely in the 5. (And good on them for doing so)

A couple of struugling 1's players can make all the difference in the reserves.

Look at North Brunswick a few weeks back, lose to Point Cook in the senior game and win the twos by 50 odd goals, just shows that clubs (some more than others), once seniors are out of contention, will start to try and qualify guys for the reserves finals. It's also easier this year with only 16 games. If you play 4 in the reserves and say miss two games through injury, you can't not qualify.

On what scale that occours, varies from club to club and from coach to coach, but you'd be naive to think it doesn't happen.

Some clubs historically have strong two's sides, including Kew, NB and West Brunswick and those sides are of course strengthened by a few borderline senior players from the midway point in the season if the seniors don't look like making finals. I think Kew even won a reserves premiersip one year while the seniors were relegated

Good luck to all teams particpating in finals.

Manningham might make it interesting getting close to Mt Lilydale a couple of rounds back.

Vermont's small ground will suit Manningham and Eley Park, so hopefully they can put a cat amongst the pigeons, so to speak.

Unfortunately I think South Mornington with their young runners will not be suited to Vermont. But a great effort to play finals nevertheless.

Finals are a funny game though............anything can happen!

Looking by the senior results, I'd say they were throwing everything at Mt. Lilydale in the seniors, in the hope of scraping into the 5, especially with the reserves safely in the 5. (And good on them for doing so)

A couple of struugling 1's players can make all the difference in the reserves.

Look at North Brunswick a few weeks back, lose to Point Cook in the senior game and win the twos by 50 odd goals, just shows that clubs (some more than others), once seniors are out of contention, will start to try and qualify guys for the reserves finals. It's also easier this year with only 16 games. If you play 4 in the reserves and say miss two games through injury, you can't not qualify.

On what scale that occours, varies from club to club and from coach to coach, but you'd be naive to think it doesn't happen.

Some clubs historically have strong two's sides, including Kew, NB and West Brunswick and those sides are of course strengthened by a few borderline senior players from the midway point in the season if the seniors don't look like making finals. I think Kew even won a reserves premiersip one year while the seniors were relegated

Mt Lilydale sat 5 senior players out which makes the reseves win even better. There were 3 senior players coming back from injury/holiday that played in the twos and Swinburne had their chance in the last but couldn't kick straight.
I missed the first qtr of the ones where Swinburne obviously played well, after that MTL seemed to be in control in what was a good game.

good people & facilities razorbacks:thumbsu:

Mt Lilydale sat 5 senior players out which makes the reseves win even better. There were 3 senior players coming back from injury/holiday that played in the twos and Swinburne had their chance in the last but couldn't kick straight.
I missed the first qtr of the ones where Swinburne obviously played well, after that MTL seemed to be in control in what was a good game.

good people & facilities razorbacks:thumbsu:
Will be interesting to see what happens at selection this week. Will McIntyre and Rantall keep their spots? Handy having Varga and Rhodes back in. Gryphindor did Monash rest any?

Will be interesting to see what happens at selection this week. Will McIntyre and Rantall keep their spots? Handy having Varga and Rhodes back in. Gryphindor did Monash rest any?

Don't want to dodge the question. I'm sure a couple of changes will be made and plenty of players given a spell on the bench during last Saturday's games. Very strong wind at Chadstone's ground which contributed to inaccuracy of kicking. Opposition putting 11 players in their backline in 2nd qtr of firsts made things a bit crowded as well. In Monash B&F last Saturday night Fletcher over Wells by 1 vote.
I'm sure the boys will train hard this week and next in competition for a game.

F: Allan(Monash) McCallum(Manningham) Marsh(Point Cook)
H.F: Rodwell(Mt.Lilydale) Viola(Eley Park) Wills(Monash)
C: Lucevic(Nth.Brunswick) Wall(Mt.Lilydale) Vercelli(Manningham)
H.B: Woodberry(Richmond) Wilson(Monash) Ford(Nth.Brunswick)
B: Wild(Swinburne) Evans(MT.Lilydale) Conn(Manningham)
R: Baughn(Mt.Lilydale) McConville(Monash) Stuart(Mt.Lilydale)
Extended BENCH: Santacroce(Nth.Brunswick) Bennett(Eley Park) Harrison(Box Hill Nth) Booth(Monash) Moyes(Mt.Lilydale) Pullen(Sth.Mornington)
Coach: G.Finkemeyer(Mt.Lilydale) Assistant: Osbourne(Monash)
Captain: Viola. Vice Captain: Stuart. McConville.

No other nominations for a team of the year?? I'm sure the bloke in the record might need a hand or he will choose the b.O.G getters for each club as printed on the VAFA site, which granted most would probably be worthy of but what about the blokes that dont recieve the glory, the bloke that makes more 1%'ers than any other, the bloke that lays 15 tackles a game but struggles to get 15 touches. C'Mon D4 throw up a few nominees for the team of the year!

No other nominations for a team of the year?? I'm sure the bloke in the record might need a hand or he will choose the b.O.G getters for each club as printed on the VAFA site, which granted most would probably be worthy of but what about the blokes that dont recieve the glory, the bloke that makes more 1%'ers than any other, the bloke that lays 15 tackles a game but struggles to get 15 touches. C'Mon D4 throw up a few nominees for the team of the year!

No love for Gasparini from the Cobras?
Cooka may feel he's hard done by not getting floated for a spot on the bench at least. He's still a very consistent player for us.
I guess the other one who has had a super year is David Trinchi. Some may have thought he was getting past it - but he's proven us wrong. Especially in the 2nd half of the year.
De Vercelli is a shoe in for TOTY from our team. May not be super flashy, but he works as hard if not harder than anyone I've ever seen in this grade of footy.

Sorry - I don't really take too much notice of players from other teams.

Finals Tips

Home & Away Tipping Total: 67/88

Mt Lilydale vs Manningham Cobras - MTL by 2 goals. Evans vs Maccallum, De Vercelli vs Wall, Baughn vs Young, Conn vs Rodwell, Thomson vs Roberts, Stuart vs Cookson ... plenty of potentially mouth watering match ups in this game. However I think this game is going to be decided by the bit players rather than the stars. I think that Mt Lilydale have a better bottom 6 and will break away in the last.

Eley Park vs South Mornington - Eley Park by 8 goals. I think their bigger bodies and general toughness will be too much for South Mornington.
However if South Mornington can get it out of the middle they have the ability to score heavily very quickly. South Mornington have far superior options in the Ruck with Smith & Foon ... BOTH will need to fire in the Ruck if SM are to be a realistic chance ... but I don't think they can afford to take Foon away from Thomas so Smith may need to do it alone.

No love for Gasparini from the Cobras?
Cooka may feel he's hard done by not getting floated for a spot on the bench at least. He's still a very consistent player for us.
I guess the other one who has had a super year is David Trinchi. Some may have thought he was getting past it - but he's proven us wrong. Especially in the 2nd half of the year.
De Vercelli is a shoe in for TOTY from our team. May not be super flashy, but he works as hard if not harder than anyone I've ever seen in this grade of footy.
Sorry - I don't really take too much notice of players from other teams.

Agree on Trinchi and It was an easy choice for De Vercelli who is a work horse in the guts even if I did push him to a wing.
It is hard to pick players from other sides but there has to be somebody outside everyones chosen clubs who has done something memorable. For example number 9 from Eley Park did a couple of courageous acts when our sides met by backing back into packs or head over it footy. Number 46 from Sth.Mornington who took on a few opponents to set up a great goal, twice. Number 5 from Mt.Lilydale who looked like a dead man walking at the end our clash as he couldnt stop cramping due to gut running. A number 22 at Box Hill Nth who despite a 14 goal smashing also had nothing left after the siren and was in need of more than a few cold ones to cure his pain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Swinny,

David Elliman has had a fantastic season playing half back. He would be the player that gave opposition coaches the most headaches whilst playing against us.

Phil Wild has also been great all season at full back. Probably only been beaten once or twice for the whole season which is a great effort considering the amount of footy down there at times during the season.

Michael Manning would be the other one to be pushing for a spot. Started the year slowly carrying an injury, but its no coincidence that Swinburne played well when he did.

T.O.T.Y

Suggestions for Eley Park:

#2 Bennett
#3 McCabe
#1 Viola
#33 Broadbear

All have had standout seasons at our club. Honourable mentions go to Payne, Davis (who has only played 10 or 11 games), C Marsiglio and Newmarch.

Good luck to the boys in this weeks final against Sth morn.

T.O.T.Y

Suggestions for Eley Park:

#2 Bennett
#3 McCabe
#1 Viola
#33 Broadbear

All have had standout seasons at our club. Honourable mentions go to Payne, Davis (who has only played 10 or 11 games), C Marsiglio and Newmarch.

Good luck to the boys in this weeks final against Sth morn.

Do you mean Viola #16?

Finals Tips

Home & Away Tipping Total: 67/88

Mt Lilydale vs Manningham Cobras - MTL by 2 goals. Evans vs Maccallum, De Vercelli vs Wall, Baughn vs Young, Conn vs Rodwell, Thomson vs Roberts, Stuart vs Cookson ... plenty of potentially mouth watering match ups in this game. However I think this game is going to be decided by the bit players rather than the stars. I think that Mt Lilydale have a better bottom 6 and will break away in the last.

Baughn is no certainty to play. Hasnt played for a month.

The home & away season has ended, how do you rate each clubs performance throughout the year scoring them out of 1 – 11.

1. Manningham - 3rd
Great effort to finish where they did especially after many years of hovering around the bottom. Some great and aggressive recruiting by the club built up their depth and almost resulted in their reserves making the finals. Both teams together in a finals campaign, would that have been a first?
2. Eley Park – 4th
So many injuries, could have easily been so many excuses but credit to them for their hard work & perseverance to get them into 4th spot. Maybe a little top heavy as club but I do believe they will be the Dark Horse of the Finals.
3. Box Hill Nth – 6th
In form side which ran some of the big boys to the wire week in week out. Applying scoreboard pressure through a successful ‘shoot out’ philosophy was a real winner for Hoody & the boys. Beating Sth Mornington last Saturday was a fitting result to finish off the season. They must already be counting down the days to R1 2011.
4. MTL – 2nd
Love them or hate them (HarveyW), after an injury ravaged 2009 they came out firing in 2010, anyone who can win 17/18 games and had nowhere to train or play (because of the BOG) surely has done something right. Have been building on their depth gradually throughout the season, rested many last week in the senior game and were still able to salute in the 2’s against inform Swinburne.
5. Monash –1st
After being unlucky when demoted last season everyone expected them to rebound and to finish in the top position, though in saying that they still had to play some good footy to do so and will be a power to beat in the finals. Also a great effort to lure Mr Osborne (and family!!) to a D4 club.
6. Point Cook – 10th
I’m sure they would be pleased with their first season at senior level. They were at times very competitive, supporters are definitely passionate and their junior base & new facilities will have them in higher grades sooner than later (and to top this off they have Julia on their side).
7. Sth Mornington – 5th
After a great 2009 campaign and looking so good for most of this season I think they would be disappointed in not finishing in the top 3. Still don’t travel consistently well and that must be a concern with the finals starting this weekend.
8. Swinburne – 7th
About where we thought they may finish up, important moving forward they shake that ‘nice boy’ tag, get some bigger bodied & skilful onballers to help the likes of Adam & Mitch out in the middle (thru rotations).
9. Nth Brunswick – 8th
After a great preseason and recruiting program all eyes were on them. After a very honourable loss round one to Monash they really looked like having an impact this season. Losing Jeffery didn’t help but yet again every club is impacted in a similar fashion throughout the year. Not sure if their junior club is a great feeder body but the positives are definitely their new facilities. Maybe the 2’s can finally deliver this final series and reward the likes of club stalwarts Ackland and Manoukian with some silverware.
10. Richmond Central – 9th
2009 was a great year and testament to the hard work of Wazz, his committee, players & supporters. After starting 2010 with 3 good early wins they went way back to the pack with a bang. Sure they lost players but they have great depth in their two’s who will now probably feature in this year’s grand final.
11. Chadstone – LAST
What can be said about the one legged ducks that continually just go round & round in the one spot. A new image two years ago has done nothing to propel them forward and unfortunately they continue to be picked off by the other clubs for meal time (%). Moving forward what direction internally does the club/committee take and/or what can the VAFA do to help a good group of people at a club going nowhere.

The home & away season has ended, how do you rate each clubs performance throughout the year scoring them out of 1 – 11.

1. Manningham - 3rd
Great effort to finish where they did especially after many years of hovering around the bottom. Some great and aggressive recruiting by the club built up their depth and almost resulted in their reserves making the finals. Both teams together in a finals campaign, would that have been a first?
2. Eley Park – 4th
So many injuries, could have easily been so many excuses but credit to them for their hard work & perseverance to get them into 4th spot. Maybe a little top heavy as club but I do believe they will be the Dark Horse of the Finals.
3. Box Hill Nth – 6th
In form side which ran some of the big boys to the wire week in week out. Applying scoreboard pressure through a successful ‘shoot out’ philosophy was a real winner for Hoody & the boys. Beating Sth Mornington last Saturday was a fitting result to finish off the season. They must already be counting down the days to R1 2011.
4. MTL – 2nd
Love them or hate them (HarveyW), after an injury ravaged 2009 they came out firing in 2010, anyone who can win 17/18 games and had nowhere to train or play (because of the BOG) surely has done something right. Have been building on their depth gradually throughout the season, rested many last week in the senior game and were still able to salute in the 2’s against inform Swinburne.
5. Monash –1st
After being unlucky when demoted last season everyone expected them to rebound and to finish in the top position, though in saying that they still had to play some good footy to do so and will be a power to beat in the finals. Also a great effort to lure Mr Osborne (and family!!) to a D4 club.
6. Point Cook – 10th
I’m sure they would be pleased with their first season at senior level. They were at times very competitive, supporters are definitely passionate and their junior base & new facilities will have them in higher grades sooner than later (and to top this off they have Julia on their side).
7. Sth Mornington – 5th
After a great 2009 campaign and looking so good for most of this season I think they would be disappointed in not finishing in the top 3. Still don’t travel consistently well and that must be a concern with the finals starting this weekend.
8. Swinburne – 7th
About where we thought they may finish up, important moving forward they shake that ‘nice boy’ tag, get some bigger bodied & skilful onballers to help the likes of Adam & Mitch out in the middle (thru rotations).
9. Nth Brunswick – 8th
After a great preseason and recruiting program all eyes were on them. After a very honourable loss round one to Monash they really looked like having an impact this season. Losing Jeffery didn’t help but yet again every club is impacted in a similar fashion throughout the year. Not sure if their junior club is a great feeder body but the positives are definitely their new facilities. Maybe the 2’s can finally deliver this final series and reward the likes of club stalwarts Ackland and Manoukian with some silverware.
2009 was a great year and testament to the hard work of Wazz, his committee, players & supporters. After starting 2010 with 3 good early wins they went way back to the pack with a bang. Sure they lost players but they have great depth in their two’s who will now probably feature in this year’s grand final.
11. Chadstone – LAST
What can be said about the one legged ducks that continually just go round & round in the one spot. A new image two years ago has done nothing to propel them forward and unfortunately they continue to be picked off by the other clubs for meal time (%). Moving forward what direction internally does the club/committee take and/or what can the VAFA do to help a good group of people at a club going nowhere.
Monash are going to do the double here I think. Historic moment for the club to win their first ever premierships and it will be in both seniors and reserves. :thumbsu:

i hope they do but your right, can never be to sure especially if injuries hit the gryphs!

RC, NB and SU don't have senior teams competing in the finals. They will all be dangers to MG. Also if SM's seniors bomb out vs Eley Park they will also be able to drop a few back to play in the 2's.

1. Manningham - 3rd
2. Eley Park – 4th
3. Box Hill Nth – 6th
4. MTL – 2nd
5. Monash –1st
6. Point Cook – 10th
7. Sth Mornington – 5th
8. Swinburne – 7th
9. Nth Brunswick – 8th
11. Chadstone – LAST

Manoukian: More a wart than a stalwart!!!!

Not a bad wrap up of our Club Fruitloop. The Junior program isn't coming along as quick as we'd like but we're taking steps to rectify that. We only have two teams at the moment with our U/13's playing in a GF on Sunday week and our U/10's in the Prelim this Sunday.

For the time being, we'll stay reliant on mates of mates of mates of mates......

As for injuries, yes every club has them and unfortunately for us, it's constantly our upper level senior players going down. Our luck will change eventually.

Seniors
No Team Premiers GF
1 Monash Gryphons $1.60 $1.06
2 Mt Lilydale $2.30 $1.12
3 Manningham $21.00 $5.50
4 Eley Park $41.00 $8.00
5 South Mornington $51.00 $10.00
115% 112%

Reserves
No Team Premiers GF

1 Monash Gryphons $2.80 $1.30
2 North Brunswick $3.00 $1.40