D4 Section Ammos pt 1 (2005-2007)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: D4 Section Ammos

Gday guys,

What can you tell me about Box Hill North as a club and how do you think they will go in 2007?

Screw the naysayers, good on you guys! At least you've got the cojones to give it a red-hot go this year.

Make sure you let everyone know well in advance when your home game at Punt Rd is on - should be a great feeling running onto the hallowed turf.

Tigernuts

At this stage we have the ground booked in for (hopefully) June 30th. But this isn't set in stone as the VAFA still hasn't confirmed the schedule yet (drought).

That means we should be playing Box Hill... not definate though.

Gday guys,

What can you tell me about Box Hill North as a club and how do you think they will go in 2007?

They have been steady improvers from the last few years and if my memory serves me correct, pumped Powerhouse round 18 (who went on to win the flag)?

A big change to where they were a few years back.

Club itself - don't really know. Beer was cold after the final siren which is always a grerat start! :thumbsu:

Gday guys,

As a club? Well they were never a rich club and struggled around with a great social atmosphere for nearly 20 years in the old Churches Association and then the Southern.

They made the move to VAFA as it was seen as a better fit for them than Eastern footy comp.
This will be their 6th season in VAFA.
The first 3 seasons were pretty ordinary on field. When they came over they had a big strong team, with a lot of older players. After realising they needed younger and quicker players, many of their stalwarts finally retired. They recruited hard from Deakin Uni. They put in strict a 'code of conduct' and worked hard to change their culture as well as their playing personal. Sound famililar? Richmond Centrals are going down this same road at present.:)
2005 season they started to show the rewards on field for all the hard yards the off field staff had put in. They finished middle of the road and had some breakthrough wins against teams that had previously traed them as cannon fodder.
2006 they finshed 4th. Losing by 8pts to Power House in the first semi. Power House went on to smah all opposition in the following weeks and win the flag. Their 2s played some very impressive attacking footy but just dropped to many games early in the year and just missed finals.
They evidently have lost none of their key players and are confident of adding a couple more quality players to the senior team.
They have managed to keep improving on and off the field on the back of stable leadership. The President (been in top spot for all of their VAFA life) has kept the same key people in his executive. The same applies to the coaching staff, it has only added to it's ranks in 6 years, losing no one. They have had Afrim Odza as their capt. for 5 years (he has stood down this year) and the ressies coach (a good mate of mine:thumbsu: ) has just stood aside after 3 developing years. Mark Hood from Mitcham and Coburg is now heading up the reserves.
They look to be in with as good a chance as anyone for promotion this season, but they are not likely to be seen on this board sprouting predictions like some clubs.
The big cross against the club is their lack of juniors:thumbsdown: . I believe with the addition of the club 18 team known as the Dragons, they are poised to introduce U/19s next year. The focus of this will be the same as the Dragons; mostly made up of asian background players. This is due to BH long held desire to utilise the strong asian community in Box Hill.

There is one other thing about this club that sets them slightly apart from your average local footy team.
Each year they go to Japan to play in a tournament open to teams from Japan and all over the world. This is usually done on the Queen's B'day weekend. Although they have developed the trip from 4 days out to 11days now. This year the tournament has been switched to October. It should make for a hell of an end of season trip. There is a DVD produced by BH of last years trip. I hear it is being looked at by several media shows and is to be aired at one of the VAFA functions. I have seen it, it runs for about 10 minutes and is a real eye opener. It is not all just playing footy and drinking. They travel to Osaka for shool footy clinics and Hiroshima to visit the peace park and ground zero. Peter Kotsaridis is the guy to contact for a free copy. This information is on their website http://www.boxhillnorthfc.com.au/

Another mate of mine, Peter Tugger Pullen, has gone with them the last 2 years. Tugger is a VAFA umpire. He evidently, so he say's:D , has now gained legendary status in the land of the rising sun due to his ability to umpire nearly all the games in the tournament. Tugger would be an good person to give you an independent view of the club. Contact Benny Goodman (VAFA) for his phone or email.
Japan Samuri (national team) travels to Australia each year and plays games in Melbourne. Box Hill North were the team that started it all for them, and still play a match against each othet every year. BH has also hosted New Zealand and Vietnam national teams.
Because of these connections they get quite a lot of media coverage. If you don't like being on National TV :cool: or being on the back page of the Age, don't join this club.

I think the best take I can give on this club is :
A very social club that is steadily building a strong team with a lot of outside attractions to keep it's members interested.

Facts I know:
President - Simon Evans
Senior Coach - Peter Armstrong
Premierships- Seniors 1991, Reserves 1995, Narita Cup 2002, NC r/u 2003/04/05.

Hope that helps.
Are you thinking of playing or are you just interested via a friend:confused: ? I have become a fan of VAFA footy. It is generally an attractive, clean style of footy to watch.

Wow, Spy you certainly do know your stuff! :D Interesting reading.

Good luck to Box Hill North for this season. At this stage our Punt Road game is scheduled for the clash against BHN - the general consensus among many down at KB Reserve is that Box Hill North is a well run, progressive club; basically a good bunch of blokes with whom we look forward to showcasing our clash on the hallowed turf of Punt Road. :thumbsu:

Yeah... and our best win in the reserves in '05 was against BHN. I seem to remember kicking the game winning goal with a minute or so left... it's as if it were yesterday :) :) :)

Yeah... and our best win in the reserves in '05 was against BHN. I seem to remember kicking the game winning goal with a minute or so left... it's as if it were yesterday :) :) :)

You mean our only win! :eek:

Hopefully we'll have a few more in 07!

As a club? Well they were never a rich club and struggled around with a great social atmosphere for nearly 20 years in the old Churches Association and then the Southern.

They made the move to VAFA as it was seen as a better fit for them than Eastern footy comp.
This will be their 6th season in VAFA.
The first 3 seasons were pretty ordinary on field. When they came over they had a big strong team, with a lot of older players. After realising they needed younger and quicker players, many of their stalwarts finally retired. They recruited hard from Deakin Uni. They put in strict a 'code of conduct' and worked hard to change their culture as well as their playing personal. Sound famililar? Richmond Centrals are going down this same road at present.:)
2005 season they started to show the rewards on field for all the hard yards the off field staff had put in. They finished middle of the road and had some breakthrough wins against teams that had previously traed them as cannon fodder.
2006 they finshed 4th. Losing by 8pts to Power House in the first semi. Power House went on to smah all opposition in the following weeks and win the flag. Their 2s played some very impressive attacking footy but just dropped to many games early in the year and just missed finals.
They evidently have lost none of their key players and are confident of adding a couple more quality players to the senior team.
They have managed to keep improving on and off the field on the back of stable leadership. The President (been in top spot for all of their VAFA life) has kept the same key people in his executive. The same applies to the coaching staff, it has only added to it's ranks in 6 years, losing no one. They have had Afrim Odza as their capt. for 5 years (he has stood down this year) and the ressies coach (a good mate of mine:thumbsu: ) has just stood aside after 3 developing years. Mark Hood from Mitcham and Coburg is now heading up the reserves.
They look to be in with as good a chance as anyone for promotion this season, but they are not likely to be seen on this board sprouting predictions like some clubs.
The big cross against the club is their lack of juniors:thumbsdown: . I believe with the addition of the club 18 team known as the Dragons, they are poised to introduce U/19s next year. The focus of this will be the same as the Dragons; mostly made up of asian background players. This is due to BH long held desire to utilise the strong asian community in Box Hill.

There is one other thing about this club that sets them slightly apart from your average local footy team.
Each year they go to Japan to play in a tournament open to teams from Japan and all over the world. This is usually done on the Queen's B'day weekend. Although they have developed the trip from 4 days out to 11days now. This year the tournament has been switched to October. It should make for a hell of an end of season trip. There is a DVD produced by BH of last years trip. I hear it is being looked at by several media shows and is to be aired at one of the VAFA functions. I have seen it, it runs for about 10 minutes and is a real eye opener. It is not all just playing footy and drinking. They travel to Osaka for shool footy clinics and Hiroshima to visit the peace park and ground zero. Peter Kotsaridis is the guy to contact for a free copy. This information is on their website http://www.boxhillnorthfc.com.au/

Another mate of mine, Peter Tugger Pullen, has gone with them the last 2 years. Tugger is a VAFA umpire. He evidently, so he say's:D , has now gained legendary status in the land of the rising sun due to his ability to umpire nearly all the games in the tournament. Tugger would be an good person to give you an independent view of the club. Contact Benny Goodman (VAFA) for his phone or email.
Japan Samuri (national team) travels to Australia each year and plays games in Melbourne. Box Hill North were the team that started it all for them, and still play a match against each othet every year. BH has also hosted New Zealand and Vietnam national teams.
Because of these connections they get quite a lot of media coverage. If you don't like being on National TV :cool: or being on the back page of the Age, don't join this club.

I think the best take I can give on this club is :
A very social club that is steadily building a strong team with a lot of outside attractions to keep it's members interested.

Facts I know:
President - Simon Evans
Senior Coach - Peter Armstrong
Premierships- Seniors 1991, Reserves 1995, Narita Cup 2002, NC r/u 2003/04/05.

Hope that helps.
Are you thinking of playing or are you just interested via a friend:confused: ? I have become a fan of VAFA footy. It is generally an attractive, clean style of footy to watch.

I have actually seen the video of the 06 Japan tour and it looks sensational. For those that haven't, definately see if you can get a copy because it is a great 10 minutes.

p.s. Loved the large fella running through the pack with the elbow raised poised to do some damage!!! I also noticed Mick and Dan Penny - those guys CAN play.

p.s. Loved the large fella running through the pack with the elbow raised poised to do some damage!!! I also noticed Mick and Dan Penny - those guys CAN play.

I was told he had heard there was only one snag left on the BBQ and was purely intent on replenishing his lower chest muscles.

I was told he had heard there was only one snag left on the BBQ and was purely intent on replenishing his lower chest muscles.

Does he play in the regular season? I can't remember seeing / playing against him.

Looks about 25ish so has certainly been in a fair paddock....

Does he play in the regular season? I can't remember seeing / playing against him.

Looks about 25ish so has certainly been in a fair paddock....

Have they got some sort of secret weapon they are going to unleash during the season?

Have they got some sort of secret weapon they are going to unleash during the season?

Looks more like 'roll out' rather than 'unleash'.

Getting back to the real stuff.
Fantastic news about Richmond getting a game on the wonderful Punt Rd oval. For someone who spent his early youth travelling to these cultural icons every second Saturday, it gives a romantic feeling of coming home.
Experienced the nostalgic feelings last year when watching the odd game at Glenferrie Oval.
With the doubt over the condition of some grounds, would it not be prudent to have clubs and or VAFA to see how many of these ex VFL grounds are available?

I think the AFL umpires now use Victoria Park. Surely they aren't using it during Saturdays. Essendon's Windy Hill is probably to far out for most of D4 teams. Sth Melb ground is now a soccer ground. Fitzroy Reds are housed at the original home of Fitzroy.
They say the old VFL Park surface at Waverly is still in great condition. If you add the old VFA grounds I'm sure there must be opportunities out there for clubs to set up the odd marquee game. Again, Richmond have shown the lead. Well done Centrals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There will come a time when Centrals will stand tall and take immense pride with the success they will have achieved. Although I am not part of this club, I have a strong sense that they re-building the club from the ground up based on integrity. This will pay off handsomely in the long run both on and off the field. Compared to those clubs who look for quick gratification and abuse the system, I know you guys will always be able to hold your heads high when it comes to signing the VAFA's stat. decs.
Hang in there Secretary!

Shall do, mate.

No funny business here.... if you want the best steel it has to be forged in the hottest furnace.

Like on Sunday running around playing handball games with the kids at the council community day... tell you what, it weren't half hot! :eek:

You mean our only win! :eek:

Hopefully we'll have a few more in 07!

We all live in hope.

Keep dreaming Centrals, it seems that's all you're cabaple of. You are a rabble.

Heard a rumour you'll be sharing your ground this season with South Yarra - one more season of hanging in there and then it's all over for you guys.

We all live in hope.

Keep dreaming Centrals, it seems that's all you're cabaple of. You are a rabble.

Heard a rumour you'll be sharing your ground this season with South Yarra - one more season of hanging in there and then it's all over for you guys.

Who the heck are you? Got out of bed on the wrong side?

Why on earth would you post something like that at 1.30 in the blessed AM?

Rarely is the phrase "Get a Life" used appropriately. It would however be used in the appropriate manner here.

We all live in hope.

You've made your position clear with regards to Centrals, which teams are you backing to do well this season and why?

We all live in hope.

I really don't think I should honour that with a response. Why don't you come down to training; show us your stuff and we can see how big of a hero you actually are? What's the point of your incessant club bashing? Come down and help us turn it around. It's a big challenge and we're really enjoying it. As far as I was aware that's what it's all about - we're not playing for sheep stations, just fun.

With regards to South Yarra playing on our ground; the councils are already under pressure ensure the playing surfaces are safe. Having 2 teams play on the one ground would only provide 1 day per week for the ground to recover. Unlikely.

I Know All Sides In D4 Very Well And Have Done For Years[that Should Start Some Of You Thinking As To Who Or What I Am????]
Get Of Centrals Back,sure They Have Had Some Tough Games Recently But It Shows Their Metal That They Are Back And Having A Red Hot Go,box Hill Will Be A Force In 2007,but Their Are A Few Adrk Horses Out There So Stay Tuned,dig In Centrals,the Light May Be Small But It Is Still Shining At The End Of That Tunnel.

We all live in hope.

beating up on centrals behind the computer at 12.30 in the morning what happened did the boyfriend kick you out of bed,dont worry your mum still loves c@ck. KAPOW

I Know All Sides In D4 Very Well And Have Done For Years[that Should Start Some Of You Thinking As To Who Or What I Am????]
Get Of Centrals Back,sure They Have Had Some Tough Games Recently But It Shows Their Metal That They Are Back And Having A Red Hot Go,box Hill Will Be A Force In 2007,but Their Are A Few Adrk Horses Out There So Stay Tuned,dig In Centrals,the Light May Be Small But It Is Still Shining At The End Of That Tunnel.

Hope to see you out in the middle this season 'nellup'!
Box Hill North certainly had a big year last year and will be looking to go a little further. Totally agree re: your Centrals sentiments, softer blokes would have folded or headed for Clubbies - they did it hard last season, hope they have it better in 07 (as long as they don't beat us!).
Who do you rate as the key players throughout D4, given your knowledge?

;) That didn;t take long did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!topturtle;)
Some one here mentioned the Penny boys from BHNth,yes they can play a bit,also a bloke called Justin from there,very fit and one to respect.Centrals have a young bean pole of a kid with a head of curly hair,he can take a mark and with a bit of bulk and footy nouse could be valuable.The new commers in Mornington??:rolleyes:HAD A CLOSE AT HAND LOOK:rolleyes:at this side in a practice match last year and they have a style and some players that deserves some pre season respect.Lilydale make their return and have some very big blokes and if they can get some speed and aggility to compliment this may just surprise.
Season 2007 is wide open,all clubs should heed the warnings expressed here about U19's,these are a must have,all clubs need new youth comming up,even if you run a combined side with another club as Bentleigh are doing and also I believe Powerhouse are doing this.

That "big fella" running through the pack in the BHN video of Japan was the coach[and still is],fortunately he took himself off IMMEDIATELY after that incident which saved "someone",the job of reporting him,and no he does not play in the regular season,"PLAY" HA!!
he was the bloke that the saying "white men can't jump" was written about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back