List Mgmt. Dan Hannebery - 5 year deal & Pick 28 to St.Kilda for Pick 39 & 2019 2nd Round Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading a player at their lowest value is never ideal, but I don't think the Swans will accept a 2019 second rounder for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, Buddy has 4 years left of which we can only really expect the next couple to be at full output. Sydney want to challenge again whilst Franklin is there. Losing a key midfielder and receiving an 18 year old who won't play until 2020 is of no immediate benefit.

there's no requirement to draft an 18 year old, the pick can be on traded.

Would you think this even if it was our 2018 first straight up? Just wondering where the point of "more beneficial to Sydney" comes in your mind.

St Kilda should pursue Hannebury. They should not overpay trade wise under any circumstances, considering the benefit to Sydney (salary cap) that is intrinsic to the offloading of Hannebury by Sydney.
If it was a straight swap of pick ~4 for Hannebery and he came out firing after a full preseason next year, I think you'd tick that off as a good trade. That's a hypothetical of course - it won't be a straight swap like that as the question marks on Hannebery's fitness have to diminish his value.

That equation would effectively be: Would you trade pick 4 for 5 years service from an experienced A grade midfielder? Some might well say no, but I think Hannebery's on field leadership is exactly what Saints younger guns need. I think it's easy to over value a draft pick and all the media hype around "super drafts" obviously makes that worse. If the deal was Hanners + 12 for pick 4 (values Hannebery at pick 25) and he came out firing next year, that's a big win for Saints who'd get both the 5 year A grader and a good draft prospect.

** Disclaimer for above scenarios: All purely hypothetical. Saints have suggested they don't want to include the first pick, Swans have suggested they do want to target it. Who knows where that ends up.

The salary cap element only really becomes advantageous if Sydney are planning on using that money for recruitment this year. If the trade fell through and Hannebery stayed, there's no undue cap pressure caused. Tippett's retirement, though carrying $100k in to next year, gives the Swans a bit to play with in the meantime.

there's no requirement to draft an 18 year old, the pick can be on traded.
Absolutely! And if Sydney had a mature player lined up who would cost around that pick and fill the Hannebery void, then it might well become a more attractive option.

Pick 19 - 2019 seems like overs to me.

Welcome to the club Dan.
Yup they need cap space and his last year was average 3rd or 4th rounder. The thing that worries me is with coaches and others when their job is on the line go the quick fix to get mid table. Fine in our current state when we have plenty of cap room but only if we give up steak knives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think their vice-captain could be considered a dreg.

He's like the dregs of a $300 bottle of scotch. We can refill it with Vat 69 and impress people who come over still but it's not quite top shelf any more.

giphy.gif

Lol, loved that movie as a kid growing up.

I'm struggling to think of possible trade for Hanners that wouldn't piss me off. Hopefully we could bundle up a shitty ruckman and 3rd round pick or something, but touching this years 1st pick, or next years 1st or 2nd would be significantly displeasing..
Ok I've got it now...
Our future first, which is a probable top 5 pick, for Syds 1st this year, probs p14, and Hanners.
Everyone wins..

I feel mixed on the Hanner get, yes he will help us and could be great if we can get him back to all cylinders. but that's my worry hope this dosn't become our Kurt tippet.

Watching the game last night i was thinking how good it would be if had could get someone like Smith from the Hawks he plays on ball back forward and just never stops. I know i'm dreaming.

If the swans some how end up with Gaff or Shiel and we take their dregs instead, the game is well and truly stuffed.
Swans chasing Gaff and Shiel says something about Hannebery doesn't it They both will cost more but they r younger and faster and a lot better so why do we have to be lumbered with him. He will end up at our club no doubt because Sydney want to get rid of him salary cap space is a loud of crap when they r linked with so many other star players. We have them over a barrel I could name over a hundred other midfielders that suit our need before Hanners and so could everyone else eg Giants Kelly Coniglio Ward Scully Whitfield Hopper that is only one club. We r not competing with another club for his services because no one else wants him and if u think he is our only recruit for the year we will get out of the bottom four u r all dreaming so a second round pick next year may well be 19 or 20 diabolical We aren't going to improve out of sight with him in our side when u think Steven Steele and Ross would be our starting mids so where do we play Hanners too slow for wing and does he join the queue of mid like Dunstan Acres Armitage etc on a half forward flank out of position. Pick players for need choose quick wingers that can add to our side like North have done and all the top teams r chasing pace bar us nonsensical

Is no one thinking we will get a priority pick this year...I think we will almost 100% and if the conditions are that you ontrade that for a senior player, why wouldn’t we trade that for Hanners and then in effect get him for nothing..?

Sydney need, and want, the space. They'll posture a bit, but eventually it's in there best interest to get him and his salary to St Kilda.

It will happen, and it won't cost us too much except for a bit of cash, and the risk he may possibly be cooked.

We had markworth for a second. Injury plagued. He was on the list for 4 years. Guernsey Number 10.
We had freeman for a second. Injury plagued. He was on the list for 3 years. Guernsey Number 10.
Hannebery for a second? 5 year contract? Played the swans most recent final and is a 200 game all aus. Number 10? Seems like it fits to me. We are improving if he even pumps out 3 games tbh
http://m.saints.com.au/news/2018-08-03/the-no-10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back