List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

ok its time for my dumb question...

Why not let Houston live in Melbourne but still play for Port?
He is a senior player, he knows what to do.

He can attend all meetings virtually.
He can provide all the relevant training data.

He would be travelling to half the games anyway, does it really matter if he goes to a Sydney game from Mel or Adl?
He can do rehab with the other players for the 24 hours post game.

Are we at the point that this is feasible for a senior player?
huh-ew.gif

So as of right now:
Carlton have 12 + 14
Collingwood have 36 + 55
North have 2, 25 + 44
Richmond have 1, 20 + 24
Saints have 7, 8, 27 + 47
Dees have 5, 28 + 40
I would happily take 5 and 28 from Melbourne. Otherwise 8 and 27 from Saints. In many ways, these would have been the fairest deals for Dan.

A high first round to provide the confidence that you’re going to get a very good player and a second pick to make up for the little bit of doubt that your first pick doesn’t make it and the fact that they won’t be a substitute Houston’s quality in the next 1-3 years. Plus it allows for the fact he’s contracted and will give 6 or so years of very good service to his new club starting immediately.

In the case of the Saints, it means Houston would equal the value of Battle and 27 which is spot on.

I don’t have issues with Vic players heading over early eg Friday for a weekend game to visit family. I’d have thought that’s already happening.

ok its time for my dumb question...

Why not let Houston live in Melbourne but still play for Port?
He is a senior player, he knows what to do.

He can attend all meetings virtually.
He can provide all the relevant training data.

He would be travelling to half the games anyway, does it really matter if he goes to a Sydney game from Mel or Adl?
He can do rehab with the other players for the 24 hours post game.

Are we at the point that this is feasible for a senior player?

You’re correct, it’s a dumb question.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gotta think that Houston’s situation doesn’t augur well for signing Bergman to another contract. Pretty sure his longterm girlfriend returned to live in Victoria this past year after an initial trial in SA.
Yep, reckon he is as good as gone after next season. A bloody shame too. Will just be coming into his prime.

That's why this Houston situation creates such a precedent. I would not be trading him.

Gotta think that Houston’s situation doesn’t augur well for signing Bergman to another contract. Pretty sure his longterm girlfriend returned to live in Victoria this past year after an initial trial in SA.

If this is what Dan is worth to the other clubs, watch what they try to screw us over with re; Bergman and his uncontracted status.

If he goes as a free agent, the "magic beans" would probably net us band 3.

It's been said but trading Houston to Collingwood or Carlton needs to be more lucrative for us than sending him to North or the Saints.
We have to consider how much we improve those sides and how it affects our flag hopes.
Our flag hopes were rooted the moment the board didn’t sack Ken..

The players gf's jealous of Ken and how much the players love him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So wasn't someone telling us that Dan would be a Collingwood player by the end of today?

Another day, another empty hand for Collingwood.

Collingwood asked about getting Bailey Humphrey in the John noble deal. Im confused.
Just to recap, John Noble is worth Bailey Humphrey and Dan Houston isn't worth any more than a pick in the teens.

Trade week should go for half an hour. Every time someone makes a stupid offer, they reduce it by a minute.

Last edited:
Someone other can Collingwood win race for pick 13- Dan either stays at port or goes to Kangas

Melbourne's Deal looks very good for the suns, surely.

I wonder if Leppitsch realises how profoundly amateurish he looks? Leaking to the media that they've offered Houston a 6-year contract but then also making the above comments on Trade Radio.

I bet he thought the line about Collingwood's present and future was pretty clever, but his carry on strikes me as a good way to make sure he's not present for future list management decisions.
So we just simply walk away.. simple as that

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back