News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

There seem to be the idea that Houston was horrible. I'm talking about recently but overall. I haven't heard that before. I this just people Fortniteing him as he goes to Collingwood or is there some actual proof.

Also, lets see what we pick up in the superdraft. There are still avenues in which we win this trade.

People will yell the Creed from the roof tops about clearing out the no-hopers and those in it just for the good time, but would have Houston back at the club after how appallingly he treated us in this trade period

Good riddance, we may not have got enough for him but his attitude is a cancer at the club.
We were on driving seat this time . All the pressure was on Houston camp and Collingwood . We would have not released him until we get 2 first round round picks. It also set precedent for future deals involving our club . So sick of our club not standing for right cause .

Can they do that on Insta?

If so it just encapsulates everything the weak as piss admin has become

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep on Facebook and Instagram, but not on Twitter, which is most of the reason for the disparate responses. All the negative comments are hidden down the bottom.

Joe Richards will be a gun. He has everything in his game. Yeah we won the trade but we've lost often. Treloar, Grundy, Adams. It often does not work in our favour.
Good luck for next season

This is fine, but ultimately he's a 177cm 25yo who has played 9 career games for 6 goals.

I can't immediately think of anyone who has made a good career from that position. Not saying he won't play good footy for us, just saying having him hailed (by our club and Collingwood supporters) as a worthy and key part of the trade where we lost our elite halfback is a shit sandwich.

12 months ago we traded out our 2024 first rounder as weak draft.

Now CD says how strong it is and how important #13 is.

So come 2025, we trade Butters for a 10 pick upgrade.

Rozee and JHF are great to have on our list but we’d be a much stronger Club and closer to a flag if we never showed up in trade week the last 10 years.

CD is an arrogant flog, believes he’s never wrong and knows more than anyone else.

His appointment in late 2014 has been a disaster and our results epitomise how poor he is.

He is such a disappointment and makes Peter Rohde look like a God.
He apparently said it on abc grandstand that " he does not believe in early round picks and Port can pick up good player with late round picks . " It pretty much reflects in his dealings.

I still can’t believe they did that trade.
Their reasons for it are nonsence.
This arguably one the club’s biggest ever stuff ups.

The whole thing looks really bad doesn’t it Rick.
It’s just terrible.
I still can’t believe this has happened.
Imagine how excited we would be feeling now if we had 2 first rounders this year instead of Soldo.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He apparently said it on abc grandstand that " he does not believe in early round picks and Port can pick up good player with late round picks . " It pretty much reflects in his dealings.
They can't even keep their story straight at all.

They definitely weren't saying that when it was JHF or trading up for Rozee.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I don't buy the pick 13 would've been gone line.

North would've got pick 13 for their future first, and then we could've dealt with them separately.

Deal with GC - F1 for Luko, Atkins and 29 (which isn't terrible)

Deal with North - Houston for 13 +25 or a F2.

Would've at least got us an extra pick. Plus could've taken North to the deadline to squeeze picks out of them.

Cnut of a human being. May the giant karma bus headed your way Dan show no mercy.

School Bus GIF
Gross.

This is the sort of bullshit we mock the club across the road for. Be better.

Have we had a player be this much of a dick to us since Stevens?

Dan Houston has not sunk as low as Nick Stevens but Dan's departure still leaves me with a ill feelings. For starters he signs a five year extension then decides to quit two years into it. Then he says he is happy to stay at Alberton while his manager is busy hawking him around the Melbourne marketplace. Dan hasn't sunk to the off field depths that Stevens descended to and unlike Nick Stevens, Houston's behaviour left us with a deal, albeit a tad lacking in substance.

I am left with the feeling that Houston and his management were not totally honest with us and that leaves a bad taste. The really disappointing thing is that for a guy who gave 100% on the field Dan's departure was clouded to say the least. My disappointment is compounded by the fact that Port accepted less than the going rate for a player of Houston's ability and achievements. The #13 pick which will probably finish at #16 plus the #32, #39 and #53 picks and set of steak knives in Richards and Atkins is not enough.

Two things, I don't think enough is being made of particularly Ken and losing out on Cummings and Perryman, he often gets the credit when a FA or player chooses us, so why not the criticism when a player decides against us? Could be nothing in it? Could also be they stacked Kens plans and strategy against the other teams and the other team won out.

And yes, Houstons lip service and ultimately his actions were far far apart.

If you're a campaigner and demanding to go home to a particular club, at least have the cojones to be relatively transparent about it.

If it's true he hasn't even penned an open post thanking us as a club or the fans or anything, then he's much more an entitled Vic toss than I imagined.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am left wondering if the Ken Factor, if such a thing exists, has reached the use by date. Maybe the news is that Ken is on the way out at Alberton and no one wants a short term relationship?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still can’t believe they did that trade.
Their reasons for it are nonsence.
This arguably one the club’s biggest ever stuff ups.

The whole thing looks really bad doesn’t it Rick.
It’s just terrible.
I still can’t believe this has hahappened.
Makes you think there has to be more to it. Almost like they were more than happy to get him outta the club in the end.

I'm going to put it out there again.

Dan is a very good player but our structures allow the QB seagull to be the most glamourous position on the field and whoever plays it will look good. I mentioned that Jase Burgoyne played it against the Hawks in the finals and looked great and Farrell will be keen to grab that spot and he will be good in it.

Yes, we lose an dual AA player but he also was average at best defensively and I think he will be well replaced.

And our defence becomes quite young and athletic with Lachie Jones, Logan Evans, Josh Sinn and Kane Farrell down there with the dynamic Bergman at 3rd tall helping out.

There seem to be the idea that Houston was horrible. I'm talking about recently but overall. I haven't heard that before. I this just people Fortniteing him as he goes to Collingwood or is there some actual proof.

Also, lets see what we pick up in the superdraft. There are still avenues in which we win this trade.
The bloke is an absolute legend, just had no time for the loserism that's infected our club.

Given the amount of people here that have got rid of their membership etc I find it strange that anyone can criticise a player for doing the same thing.

I can only speculate on that.

Do I think the Board cares about fan reaction about the Houston trade? Minimally.

Do I think the Board cares about the fan anger over recent decisions and results particularly surrounding finals and the coach etc? Yes. Do I think the Board is going to act or make any decision based solely on fan sentiment alone? The only time that has ever happened under this regime was when they went back to the 1 captain model in 2020 after the unmitigated 2019 disaster.

At the same time, the great Wayne Bennett once said if you consistently listen to the fans you'll end up being with them.
The frustrating thing is that as a fan I should know so much less than the club. I should have access to less data, less personal relationships, less understanding of AFL because its not my career. I should be being constantly proven wrong and pleasantly surprised by the club's moves.

Yet as a Port fan I'm constantly proven right and the club is constantly proven wrong. We could all see the outcome of the August deadline a mile off, could see the outcome of the extension a mile off, could see yet another disappointing finals series coming a mile off, could see Schoey going a mile off.

If you know what you're doing you shouldn't listen to fans. We have no idea what we're doing.

The bloke is an absolute legend, just had no time for the loserism that's infected our club.

Given the amount of people here that have got rid of their membership etc I find it strange that anyone can criticise a player for doing the same thing.
There is an element where I'm happy for Houston to not be playing under Hinkley and I'll really feel that if Butters leaves.

I mean we bag the club and the coaching and Hinkley and we are a total mess so I don't have a huge problem with players leaving a toxic work environment.

I don't know for sure but Houston seems like more of a mercenary move, fair enough, but Butters loves football and loves winning and I wish we had a coach who was the same and had the capacity to do so.

Joe Richards will be a gun. He has everything in his game. Yeah we won the trade but we've lost often. Treloar, Grundy, Adams. It often does not work in our favour.
Good luck for next season
He's 25 in a couple of weeks, not 19. He's played 9 games ffs. Gun? Laughable.

People will yell the Creed from the roof tops about clearing out the no-hopers and those in it just for the good time, but would have Houston back at the club after how appallingly he treated us in this trade period

Good riddance, we may not have got enough for him but his attitude is a cancer at the club.

I would have made him stay but then pay him to not be anywhere near the (or any) playing group. But I am vindictive (and don't have a salary cap to worry about).

It's more like I want back to Vic or a dummy spit, that type of thing not being horrible.

The frustrating thing is that as a fan I should know so much less than the club. I should have access to less data, less personal relationships, less understanding of AFL because its not my career. I should be being constantly proven wrong and pleasantly surprised by the club's moves.

Yet as a Port fan I'm constantly proven right and the club is constantly proven wrong. We could all see the outcome of the August deadline a mile off, could see the outcome of the extension a mile off, could see yet another disappointing finals series coming a mile off, could see Schoey going a mile off.

If you know what you're doing you shouldn't listen to fans. We have no idea what we're doing.

I agree with a lot of this, but would counter that today they don't have any idea of what they're doing seems from my perspective a bit odd given they've been 4 out of the last 5 years in the top 4, and I don't think you can get those on field results without having at least some idea.

What I will say is that there is a large chunk of decision makers at the club who have very little idea as to how to moves from top 4 regulars to actual premiership contenders. Getting rid of Hinkley would obviously solve some of that but I think we are in denial to think that's the panacea of all problems at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back