Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

The interesting part is that Port has 4 players and their managers that they will upset if the deal doesn't go through. They can still get the deals done I guess involving North but I still think this deal goes through maybe with another late pick going Port's way.
Guess we better just give him up for peanuts then. Just keep throwing shit 3rd and 4th rounders in there hey?

We will get the Lukocious deal done no worries, prob take Atkins for a favour for gold coast and Dan will come back to the club and give his all for us for another 12 months.

Richards can either get done separately or if Collingwood don't want to deal he can either go the pre season draft or stay at collingwood

No I think we can be critical! :)

They spent this years first & LY second on Lauchie Schultz.

This year bending their backs to bring in Houston costing next years first, Noble & Richard’s (at least).

It’s a gamble (if the grace is resurrected) on moving from 9th to premiers on the back of two mature players added over two years.

The window is one year as likely 5-6 retirements at end next year .

Tassie coming in.

HUGE RISK.

It's not all that surprising, they have a president that thinks they're above the draft

Guess we better just give him up for peanuts then. Just keep throwing shit 3rd and 4th rounders in there hey?

We will get the Lukocious deal done no worries, prob take Atkins for a favour for gold coast and Dan will come back to the club and give his all for us for another 12 months.

Richards can either get done separately or if Collingwood don't want to deal he can either go the pre season draft or stay at collingwood
Probably breaks your cap. Dan out to North?

Surely Clarko is giving Dan a sneaky call this morning....

Pies not doing enough and Carlton deciding pick 3 is more important - would be worth the call.

Makes the Roos a significantly better team. Will be vastly better than Tigers and WCE next year. Saints and Essendon too.

Pies not doing enough and Carlton deciding pick 3 is more important - would be worth the call.

Makes the Roos a significantly better team. Will be vastly better than Tigers and WCE next year. Saints and Essendon too.
The Roos aren't far off it - adding Dan would be a master-stroke & fair compensation for Port.

6 year contract for Dan a much better idea at Port Vs Collingwood.

Collingwood will be bottom 4 in 3 years.

And what would that F1 be worth if they tried to trade it into this year's draft which Port want to be part of?

No idea, but given clubs can trade picks right up to and during the draft, I don't think that part needs to be decided right now.

Worst case is Port has a top three pick In 2025 when the best player shapes to be a Croweater

Roos with Houston more likely to finish 12 to 14 next year.

We were eight wins and ton of % from getting out of the bottom four this year. Obviously 14th having 11 wins is an anomaly but we're miles away from not being a bottom four side

Houston is a very good player but there are still a lot of holes on the list and a lot of shitkickers

No idea, but given clubs can trade picks right up to and during the draft, I don't think that part needs to be decided right now.

Worst case is Port has a top three pick In 2025 when the best player shapes to be a Croweater
Of course it does. We've seen how expensive pick 9 and pick 14 in this year's draft are compared to F1s next year. The only pick left in play is really GC's pick 13. Unless you think Port are going to be happy taking a punt that North's F1 next year in a weaker draft with so many more high end academy players will end up being better than Pick 13, 29 and 36 in a "superdraft" that everyone is paying a premium in terms of future picks to get into?

And that North don't do a Hawthorn this year and breakout with their talented recent young draftees and the recruitment of experienced Houston, Parker, Darling and potentially Daniels?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not wild because what you are ignoring is north's future 1st is a much better pick that can be used either to chase a high calibre afl player or to roll forward into 2026 for a much higher pick (relevant given the changes to the academy system) then what the proposed pick 13 deal was.

So it is literally throwing away value for no return. The idea that the only option they have is poor lopsided deals is moron logic.
Pick 13 vs. Pick 2/3/4/5 makes no difference to Gold Coast if used in the draft.

Which player in the last 5 years has nominated Gold Coast who would be worth a top 5 pick?

Gold Coast have Dan Rioli and John Noble nominating them, not Dan Houston or Bailey Smith. They can either cut their losses and trade their first rounders for established players who actually nominate them, or turn down the Dan Rioli's & John Nobles of the world hoping some better player nominates them next year (which history has shown won't happen). Either way, Pick 18 or Pick 1 makes no difference is they are being used on Academy players.

They operate on a different draft economy to Vic/WA/SA teams.

Of course it does. We've seen how expensive pick 9 and pick 14 in this year's draft are compared to F1s next year. The only pick left in play is really GC's pick 13. Unless you think Port are going to be happy taking a punt that North's F1 next year in a weaker draft with so many more high end academy players will end up being better than Pick 13, 29 and 36 in a "superdraft" that everyone is paying a premium in terms of future picks to get into?

And that North don't do a Hawthorn this year and breakout with their talented recent young draftees and the recruitment of experienced Houston, Parker, Darling and potentially Daniels?

Don't get angry at me, I'm not on Port's board

Don't get angry at me, I'm not on Port's board
I'm not angry at you lol. I'm just saying I can't see how North are in the race when Houston does not want to go there. Their offer, if they have to trade into this year's draft to please Port, will barely be better than the 3 way offer and could actually be worse.

It's likely that something gets worked out with the Pies and there's some rejig of the proposed 3 way or Houston stays at Port.

I'm not angry at you lol. I'm just saying I can't see how North are in the race when Houston does not want to go there. Their offer, if they have to trade into this year's draft to please Port, will barely be better than the 3 way offer and could actually be worse.

It's likely that something gets worked out with the Pies and there's some rejig of the proposed 3 way or Houston stays at Port.

I think it gets done too but don't try and pretend you getting probably the best medium defender in the comp for two fringe players and a F1 that probably ends up in the high teens is somehow equitable.

Just embrace that you've got the big club privilege and have both the media and Connors trying to strong arm a deal through

I think it gets done too but don't try and pretend you getting probably the best medium defender in the comp for two fringe players and a F1 that probably ends up in the high teens is somehow equitable.

Just embrace that you've got the big club privilege and have both the media and Connors trying to strong arm a deal through
Noble equals a pick in the 20s, Richards a pick in the mid-late 30s and we're also giving up our pick 36 and F1

Compare that to Melbourne's F1, 28, 40, 46, 54 and 65 for Pick 9 and F3 from Essendon and we've paid more than the cost of a top 10 pick this year.

We've come to the table.

I'm not so sure... As soon as North Melbourne start getting involved, Port suddenly pulls out of what's been negotiated. You don't find that a little strange?

I'm not saying this is the only reason, but... North comes a long and says we'll offer similar or better to Collingwood, Port could have a little hidden reason involved of not wanting to improve one of their main rivals.
Or maybe they just want a fairer deal for an outgoing dual all Australian.

Sometimes the simple answer is the best.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Noble equals a pick in the 20s, Richards a pick in the mid-late 30s and we're also giving up our pick 36 and F1

Compare that to Melbourne's F1, 28, 40, 46, 54 and 65 for Pick 9 and F3 from Essendon and we've paid more than the cost of a top 10 pick this year.

We've come to the table.

Yes, it being a fair deal relies on you inflating the value of Noble and Richards. No one other than Pies fans thinks either of them are worth picks in the 20s and 30s

The Roos aren't far off it - adding Dan would be a master-stroke & fair compensation for Port.

6 year contract for Dan a much better idea at Port Vs Collingwood.

Collingwood will be bottom 4 in 3 years.

How long do you think it will be until North is a serious contender? I have them as 3 - 4 years (not saying they will be bottom 4 for the next 4 years but I think they float around 6th - 14th range). Houston is 28 at the start of next season. If North don't start making top for for another 3 - 4 years, you are looking at a 31 - 32 year old player. At this point he may be getting forced out of the side for whoever North pick up over the next 3 years of getting good draft picks as well as players they are developing now.

Honestly, Houston isn't a good fit for North for either the club or himself imo. He would be better suited at Carlton or Collingwood, because both teams would love the edge he will give them in getting into the top 4, and also suiting him personally as he can use his final contract to play finals while he is still fit and in his prime.

Saying that Collingwood will be bottom 4 in 4 years, even if true.. Houston will be 32 years old in this time and gearing up for retirement one would presume.

If he was 25/26 at the start of next season I'd say he COULD be a good fit for North, but the fact that he will be 28.. imo is just over that point of not being in his prime when North are up there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back