Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he either stays or goes to North. Even with other clubs involved I don't think any of the other Victoria clubs want to part with the draft capital Port are asking.

Ultimatley I think he will end up North, there must be a lot of cap space so enough money should be able to get him over the line. North can table their future pick and get a 3rd club involved.

Houston is at peak value right now, Port want to get back into the first round this year and want to get the Lukosius deal done. Not all reliant on Houston but helps.

One thing we can do away is claiming clubs have the whip hand when a player is in contract. The player always holds all the cards. It just depends how hard they are willing to push it.
The Dees agreed to folk out their first rounder for this and next year then Dan got cold feet because of Pettraca's melt down. Port just need to point him back to the Dees

I don’t think he is a need for Carlton, bigger priorities & issues in other positions.

What interests me in this is the AFL & how if Port decline either a single first round pick from Carlton, Melbourne, North or whoever, then with the 2 first round picks in 4 years rule & port then being forced to chase the AFL to give them an exception to get Lukosius out of GC. The AFL should knock it back and say no. Now I think the rule is dumb & if a club wants to blow up all future picks & never take a first rounder they should be allowed to. However if you have the rule enforce it. Force Port Adelaide to find a first round pick, if that be Houston or another way.

The media just assuming it will be ok’d is interesting the AFL has knocked back clubs previously with the rule around if you trade your future first you can’t trade any other round picks from that draft without getting one back. So I’d like to see the AFL say no, force Port Adelaide to be creative. Especially when they have a first round pick on the table for a player that wants to move.

Port aren’t also a north, wce etc that the AFL needs to help, they are a consistent finalist over the least 5 years, so should be forced to find a first round pick, not the easy way out with the AFL saying don’t worry it doesn’t apply to you
JHF: it is negated because they moved a First rounder, Horne-Francis to the club

The Dees agreed to folk out their first rounder for this and next year then Dan got cold feet because of Pettraca's melt down. Port just need to point him back to the Dees

I have no inside knowledge and I can state with supreme confidence that Melbourne would not be giving you pick 5 AND a F1 for Houston under any circumstances.

JHF: it is negated because they moved a First rounder, Horne-Francis to the club
That’s the argument in the media however the rule isn’t “2 first in 4 years, unless you use the first round picks to trade for a previous first round pick” it’s “2 firsts in 4 years”

It’s an assumption by yourself & the media that it’s negated. I don’t think it should be & the AFL should say no

Wait what…is port asking for 2 first rounders floor Houston?

I have no inside knowledge and I can state with supreme confidence that Melbourne would not be giving you pick 5 AND a F1 for Houston under any circumstances.
Funny, I have heard they agreed to it (2 x first round picks) and my knowledge is excellent.

Saying that Melbourne could well have split Pick 5

Last edited:
That’s the argument in the media however the rule isn’t “2 first in 4 years, unless you use the first round picks to trade for a previous first round pick” it’s “2 firsts in 4 years”

It’s an assumption by yourself & the media that it’s negated. I don’t think it should be & the AFL should say no

I don’t disagree with you, this will be interesting to watch.

And as for your interpretation of the rule, we all know the AFL is quite loose and have selective interpretation disorder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back