Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

You fail to mention that some of those games that he missed were finals because your club deemed that he was not good enough to play in your best finals team unlike Markov and Frampton.
You're right there and also the fact he wasn't even in the top 10 of their BnF while nearly playing every game this decreases his value as well

You guys desperately need a decent wing. Cripps cant do everything and Walsh is literally terrible at disposals.

You should be throwing 12 and 14 at Port.
Zero chance.

The clubs been resolute - they want to hit this draft & have a crack at Houston but only as a second priority.

Houston would be nice on the wing opposite Acres though ;)

Really shocked at how this simple concept is lost on so many.

Firstly, Gold Coast use their picks on academy players, which makes the draft operate on a different economy to other teams without academies. If they don't trade out high picks they get swallowed up on Academy players when other clubs nominate them. They either bring in an established player for a high pick, and use junk picks on an their academy, or use the high pick on the academy player. I really don't get why this is so hard.

Option A: In - A North Melbourne Future 1st (which turns into an Academy Player). Out - Pick 13 and probably pick 23.
Option B: In - A Collingwood Future 1st (which turns into an Academy Player), John Noble. Out - Pick 13.

Saying they are negligent in taking Option B is wild.

Pick 13, Pick 10, Pick 6 or Pick 1 in the draft makes little to no difference to Gold Coast, outside of being used to attact established players. Gold Coast either bets on their ability to attract a player worth a first rounder next year, or settle for established players this year.

You can cry about it, but they agree with me. Gold Coast would prefer Option B and gurantee an established player rather than gambling on their ability to be a destination club, and the proof in this potential trade or them trying to ship Pick 6 for Dan Rioli.

It's not wild because what you are ignoring is north's future 1st is a much better pick that can be used either to chase a high calibre afl player or to roll forward into 2026 for a much higher pick (relevant given the changes to the academy system) then what the proposed pick 13 deal was.

So it is literally throwing away value for no return. The idea that the only option they have is poor lopsided deals is moron logic.

Wouldn't surprise me if Port don't want to do the Collingwood trade as it would make Collingwood stronger and a threat to Port's illusion that they are a Premiership threat. I do understand that way of thinking, but Port are no Premiership contender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reports tonight make me think Port are/where never Trading Houston to Collingwood

They only want to do the North Trade

As they should. Look at what Port are getting from the Pies potential trade it’s Pick 13 and steaknives at best in Joe Richards
who would be worth 50+ if traded individually. Houston is worth two genuine first rounders and start from there sure add Richards but under no planet is he worth not just less but significantly less than Rioli.

Wouldn't surprise me if Port don't want to do the Collingwood trade as it would make Collingwood stronger and a threat to Port's illusion that they are a Premiership threat. I do understand that way of thinking, but Port are no Premiership contender.
Yeah, it’s because Port fear a non-finals team, not because the Pies can’t make a decent offer.

Pies actually expect Port to take two boarder line salary dumps for a future first and essentially trade Houston for what you’d get for Noble, plus adding in Richards.

Never understood why we even bothered with Pies you don’t even have a 1st this year.

Maybe. Collingwood also just don’t have the capital to do the deal.

This trade has shown exactly why the afl have blundered the trade rules up. Clubs should be able like other sports to trade multiple years in the future (next year we do have it two years that’s a start). If the Pies offered let’s say 2026+2027 first rounders that would be close to fair. If I were Port Id take the chance the Pies would go down then

Yeah, it’s because Port fear a non-finals team, not because the Pies can’t make a decent offer.

Pies actually expect Port to take two boarder line salary dumps for a future first and essentially trade Houston for what you’d get for Noble, plus adding in Richards.

Never understood why we even bothered with Pies you don’t even have a 1st this year.

At least if you don’t do it the Pies won’t get 13 for John Noble who is a handy squad player that’s it. Hoping North get the pick 13

GC should trade out 13 to Cats for 17 & F2 then use 17 & 23 in the deal. If sydney are set on 19 & 22 to get 13 then 17 & 23 is a better prospect to port.
Why would Suns do that to please Port when they could just do separate deals instead. Pies obviously don't have the capital to facilitate a trade so Houston ends up at Carlton or Roos or stays at Port.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

No way. Port wouldn’t have put a week into negotiating a 3 way trade if that were the case.

Trade will go through with some tweaks no doubt.

Why would Suns do that to please Port when they could just do separate deals instead. Pies obviously don't have the capital to facilitate a trade so Houston ends up at Carlton or Roos or stays at Port.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Aren't sure if the 2 first in 4 years rule is still going on but if so Port cant trade their first round pick until they bring in another first since their last first rounder was Sinn in 2021. I think this is why deal has become 3 way.

Aren't sure if the 2 first in 4 years rule is still going on but if so Port cant trade their first round pick until they bring in another first since their last first rounder was Sinn in 2021. I think this is why deal has become 3 way.
Rule is still in place, but you can apply for an exemption. Given they used the majority of those picks to trade for JHF, you'd think the AFL would allow it.

won a premiership 12 months ago. you must not watch much Footy if you don't think Collingwood is a premiership threat in 2025. Essentially the same team that won the 2023 Premiership. Ruined by injuries in 2024. Port knows Collingwood is a flag threat.. it's just people like yourself that think because we finished 9th 2024 that we are some sort of basket case bottom 8 side.

Of the 3 teams that want Houston, (Collingwood, Carlton, North), Collingwood are the highest chance to win the flag. It's obvious Port doesn't want one of the main contenders to improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back