Confirmed Dan Houston - Joins Collingwood as part of 3-way trade with Port and GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to see Gold Coast hold their own in a trade for a change. They did well.

Port on the other hand...yikes

How do 13 and Ports 2025 cancel out when they were getting offered like the Saints 2025 first and 2nd.

The Suns have bent over for the Pies.

Kudos to Leppa got a 2x all Australian for a future first worth nothing and 2 spuds.
They have just moved the pick back to next year for no real cost. Port will be in the 4-10 bracket so may even get out of it with a better pick than 13 next year. 13 was getting swallowed up by the likely Lombard pick anyway.

Luko was smacked with the door on the way out so to get a F1 and a late-ish 2nd (39 might be a 3rd not sure but still) out of that deal was as good as it was going to get with whoever they dealt with.

And 29 for Noble. Some may see this as steep some may see it as unders which probably defines it as a rather fair deal. It maybe a little over for mine but neither here nor there on it personally.

50 was probably not going to be used by the suns anyway I would assume so a nothing loss. And well getting Ratkins off the list is a win.

Now yes Gold Coast could have got more by trading 13 to North, but this isn't a poor deal for them. They essentially traded out two mid-late firsts and a late second and got two mid-late firsts and a mid third back, plus Noble.

Pick 13 isn't a -late first and Pick 29 is worth a hell of a lot more in this draft than a second in next years.

Pick 13 is still a quality player this year (See St Kilda's offer for it) and arguably +3-4 pick positions vs most drafts given the eveness of the top 15.

The only consideration here is finally a Northern Academy side is preparing for the increased cost of matching bids next season and we are starting to see them having to commit somewhat fairer capital towards it given they are banking F1's from Collingwood and Port in prep for next year.

Easy to do that when they can still get Lombard for junk under the current system.

Have people not been paying attention to how much picks in the middle of the first round are worth this year? Gold Coast got ****ed... again

Suns need top picks for top academy prospects. They rightly are preferring locally developed talent over the risk of interstate talent. I think its fine.

Suns need top picks for top academy prospects. They rightly are preferring locally developed talent over the risk of interstate talent. I think its fine.
I don't see how that matters. They turned down significantly more value (Melbourne and Saints offers) to get Noble and placate Pies basically

I don't see how that matters. They turned down significantly more value (Melbourne and Saints offers) to get Noble and placate Pies basically

They also wanted to cap dump Atkins and Luko. That was a big objective, especially with the years + $$$ Luko was on for his output.

Who said that? I've never heard that. At best I heard North's future first. I agree that would have been a better deal but that doesn't make this a bad one.

Complete nonsense. That pick will have value. Next years draft may have more academy players but it isn't terrible for talent.

There you go

As for the 2nd part Hawthorn got pick 14 for a future 1st and 2nd...so the Suns got less for pick 13.

But as you say complete nonsense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have people not been paying attention to how much picks in the middle of the first round are worth this year? Gold Coast got ****ed... again
Not sure they did

If you break it down it was basically a future first and 39 for 13 (similar to what Carlton gave for 14)

A future first for Lukosious, who could never really cement his position in the side and find consistency at Gold Coast

29 for Noble is about right

Adkins worth nothing, the contract is off the books

How did they get ****ed?

Pick 13 isn't a -late first
It's a mid-first. I said two mid-late firsts out.

and Pick 29 is worth a hell of a lot more in this draft than a second in next years.
I don't know why you're bringing that up, since this trade doesn't involve a second in next year's draft.

Pick 13 is still a quality player this year (See St Kilda's offer for it) and arguably +3-4 pick positions vs most drafts given the eveness of the top 15.
Who reported this offer? Can you link to it please?

The only consideration here is finally a Northern Academy side is preparing for the increased cost of matching bids next season and we are starting to see them having to commit somewhat fairer capital towards it.
Correct, the Suns have potentially 4 first round talents coming out of their academy in 2025 and need bulk picks to match.

There you go

I think that's garbage.

As for the 2nd part Hawthorn got pick 14 for a future 1st and 2nd...so the Suns got less for pick 13.

But as you say complete nonsense
Suns needed players. Is it less than they could have got? Yes. Is it a bad deal? No. Carlton overpaid.

Not sure they did

If you break it down it was basically a future first and 39 for 13 (similar to what Carlton gave for 14)
Yes, this is the wrong way around. They should have been getting a future 2nd for 13 rather than giving one up for the Pies pick

I think that's garbage.

Suns needed players. Is it less than they could have got? Yes. Is it a bad deal? No. Carlton overpaid.

You think its garbage even though Hawthorn got the exact same deal for a lesser pick...makes sense.

Suns needed players? They could've just done a side deal for Noble and auctioned off pick 13 to the highest bidder but they chose to help the pies.

Look at the price Essendon got for pick 9 teams were offering crazy deals for first in this draft.

Future 1st for Ratkins (salary dump) and Lukosius - without Atkins this was always the rumoured price.

13, 29 and Richards with upgrade from 58 to 50 and 39 to 36, for Houston.

That's the trade. Nowhere near as bad as West Coast, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Dan Houston - Joins Collingwood as part of 3-way trade with Port and GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back