Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

If Dan does end up at st kilda this will be why. Move Sinclair up to an on ball position and Houston at half back.
yeah, we tried to run Sincs through the midfield, hence why we picked up Bonner and he played 13 games. It didn't work, Sincswent back and regained his AA form there, Bonner dropped and now delisted says that the Sinclair to the midfield experiment is finished. No coincidence that coincided with our improved form and going 8-4 to end the year.

Don't know much about Dan but unless he can run as a midfielder, then it's an acquisition we don't need, esp at the cost.

Don't know much about Dan but unless he can run as a midfielder, then it's an acquisition we don't need, esp at the cost.

He can. If Port's midfield didn't run so deep he'd be on ball.

I recall Hoyne on SEN even saying that something about his stats indicate he'd be a good midfielder, and Kane said that the defense and midfield coach at Port Adelaide both want him in their respective parts of the ground.

Had a look for the clip but can't find it and don't know what episode its from

of course he will improve the side..you're missing the point. Do you have any concept of list management? Do you think it's wise for a team like North Melbourne or WCE to spend a first rounder on a 28 year old? Of course not. Melbourne is rebuilding and is no different. It's not the time to be wasting it on 28 year olds that won't even be playing by the time we are pushing up for contention. etc.
So, you can imagine why it's not worth Adelaide using a second rounder on a 28 year old B grader in ANB either.

So, you can imagine why it's not worth Adelaide using a second rounder on a 28 year old B grader in ANB either.
big difference between a first rounder and 2nd rounder. Also, regarding Houston, he is worth a first rounder, just not to us. Which is why I don't want us to waste a pick on him. Regarding ANB, he is worth a pick around pick 30, if you don't want him, don't get him. You can't be like 'we want him, but for cheaper than his worth'. That literally makes no sense.

big difference between a first rounder and 2nd rounder. Also, regarding Houston, he is worth a first rounder, just not to us. Which is why I don't want us to waste a pick on him. Regarding ANB, he is worth a pick around pick 30, if you don't want him, don't get him. You can't be like 'we want him, but for cheaper than his worth'. That literally makes no sense.
There was no rumour we chased him, he wanted to come back home and likely asked both SA clubs and we were willing to honour his request.

He can. If Port's midfield didn't run so deep he'd be on ball.

I recall Hoyne on SEN even saying that something about his stats indicate he'd be a good midfielder, and Kane said that the defense and midfield coach at Port Adelaide both want him in their respective parts of the ground.

Had a look for the clip but can't find it and don't know what episode its from
Just good midfielders don't command 2 1st rounders even in contract.

If Dan Houston is so good then why are the Port fans in here trying to flog him to the highest bidder lmao??

He may be a gun/bazooka etc.. but he’s not worth it to St Kilda.

We’re pretty shit rn, having another flanker with a decent kick isn’t going to do much for us especially one who’s turning 28.

Most Port supporters would prefer to keep him. He's contracted and a very good player.

If he wants to leave, we want to ensure maximum return for him.

It's not rocket science

Most Port supporters would prefer to keep him. He's contracted and a very good player.

If he wants to leave, we want to ensure maximum return for him.

It's not rocket science

And RE St kilda. I don't care where he goes. That's just a club he's been linked too (amongst several others).

I suggest you pen a strongly worded letter to the club in that case

A double all Australian who is one of the best defenders in the game vs ANB, who is a good honest B grader, at the same age? It's a different level. I'm not giving a top 10 pick for Houston, but a late first. ANB is maybe worth a pick in the 30-40 range.
Melbourne supporters thinking they are getting pick 24 for him is silly. We wouldn't even do a 24 downgrade for him.

A double all Australian who is one of the best defenders in the game vs ANB, who is a good honest B grader, at the same age? It's a different level. I'm not giving a top 10 pick for Houston, but a late first. ANB is maybe worth a pick in the 30-40 range.
Melbourne supporters thinking they are getting pick 24 for him is silly. We wouldn't even do a 24 downgrade for him.
it's pick 25 no? You said he's worth 30-40. So even in your own definition it could be only 5 picks off. And giving pick 38 back. Question, what did you want for McAdam?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's pick 25 no? You said he's worth 30-40. So even in your own definition it could be only 5 picks off. And giving pick 38 back. Question, what did you want for McAdam?
Most Adelaide posters at the time realistically thought McAdam at best would only return about the same we received from the WB for Alex Keath.

Mid 30's

Based on the information everyone had at the time, a F2 seemed "about right"

Mid 2nd rounder and thought your F2 would have been a late 2nd rounder so we definitely got overs because you gambled with your future pick, same as Collingwood did which has also back fired as well. Not our fault but now you want us to give you overs for ANB who we didn't even chase because your club stuffed up.......reverse the situation, would you be honestly be happy if your club did that trade.

Mid 2nd rounder and thought your F2 would have been a late 2nd rounder so we definitely got overs because you gambled with your future pick, same as Collingwood did which has also back fired as well. Not our fault but now you want us to give you overs for ANB who we didn't even chase because your club stuffed up.......reverse the situation, would you be honestly be happy if your club did that trade.
I think ANB is genuinely worth about pick 34.

So no I wouldn't be happy with pick 25. But pick 42 isn't good enough. that'll be pick 50 on draft day.

Quoting myself from our board and ofcourse I have no knowledge outside what’s reported.
The simple answer to this is that those numbers aren't correct.

Reported figures always report the highest amount the player will earn in a single season as the figure they are earning for their entire contract, which isn't the case.

For example Williams has a base contract of around 700k with the potential to earn up to 900k if he hits KPI's, none of which he has gotten close to.

The others will all have at least one season that they receive close to the 1mil mark, but not every season for their contracts.

McGovern and Doch are on much less now than they were several years ago.

Harry, Charlie and Weiters are on less than market value, which has been spoken about quite a bit in the media lately.

We would still have to shed a player or two to afford Houston no doubt. But that is common place for most clubs, as they bring in 3+ kids from the draft that are on a 3 year fixed amount.

TDK is the tricky one, as he is a pre agent next year, and signed the 2 year deal last year with the aim of proving his worth, which he did in spades during an 8 week block this year.

The more difficult thing for Carlton will be finding away to satisfy the trade asking price for Houston. Nobody wants to lose early picks in this years or next years draft with Tassie coming into the picture in 2026.

Also, does Houston even want to leave?

I think ANB is genuinely worth about pick 34.

So no I wouldn't be happy with pick 25. But pick 42 isn't good enough. that'll be pick 50 on draft day.
That's not how it works. Picks in the 40s stay about the same or can even come back a pick or two as clubs use multiple picks in the late 20s and 30s to match bids.

Last edited:
yeah, we tried to run Sincs through the midfield, hence why we picked up Bonner and he played 13 games. It didn't work, Sincswent back and regained his AA form there, Bonner dropped and now delisted says that the Sinclair to the midfield experiment is finished. No coincidence that coincided with our improved form and going 8-4 to end the year.

Bonner played 19 games tiger, get your facts right before posting.

Bonner played 19 games tiger, get your facts right before posting.
Weird aggressive flex and then you come to the saints board….

7, 13 or 19 games. Doesn’t matter. Was moved out of the hbf and Sinclair went back.

Was still delisted. Point still still stands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back