Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton paid pick 8 for Saad who was pretty much the same age at the time yet wasn't fresh off back to back AAs and wasn't rated the best kick in the league, so pretty fair to say any offer would be a fair bit more than just one top 10 pick.
It wasn't 8 straight up.
8, 87 for Saad, 48, 78

Saad was a year younger too.

Carlton paid pick 8 for Saad who was pretty much the same age at the time yet wasn't fresh off back to back AAs and wasn't rated the best kick in the league, so pretty fair to say any offer would be a fair bit more than just one top 10 pick.
And it was crazy overs, they also gave pick 5 for Cerra.

If Dan Houston is so good then why are the Port fans in here trying to flog him to the highest bidder lmao??

He may be a gun/bazooka etc.. but he’s not worth it to St Kilda.

We’re pretty shit rn, having another flanker with a decent kick isn’t going to do much for us especially one who’s turning 28.
we're not that bad, 4 players away from being a contender.

ie 3 centre square midfielders and a centre bounce ruckman.

I fully understand Port wanting that for Houston. I think if he was 25/26 then fair enough but at 28 next season it ls just an annoying age to trade your future away for.

He's 2x All -Australian but the new club doesn't get his past performances. I'm sire he'll play top footy for 3 more seasons and then it's starts to decline, a lot of the time.

Still on the beers from Saturday night I see

What do you think you’d have to give up for a back to back AA player in a position of significant need for the Blues, a few weeks after 60-0?

Blues will be el desperado.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fully understand Port wanting that for Houston. I think if he was 25/26 then fair enough but at 28 next season it ls just an annoying age to trade your future away for.

He's 2x All -Australian but the new club doesn't get his past performances. I'm sire he'll play top footy for 3 more seasons and then it's starts to decline, a lot of the time.
Depends how desperate you are for immediate impact, for sure. Obviously younger players have a higher premium.

“28 next season” also a funny way of looking at it. You could also quite rightly say “still 27 at the start of next season”. He’s also a loose-ish half back flanker and as seen with others of the same type (Enright, Birchall, Hurn) they can still provide quality output until 33/34.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are making the Big Footy mistake of assuming each draft is equal which it isn't.

12 months ago I think you probably do get two first round picks. This draft is a bit different and a number of the clubs interested in Houston don't have the picks or need to go the draft.

He is a great player but I don't see how Carlton could give up this year's and next year's first round picks for Houston.

You are making the Big Footy mistake of assuming each draft is equal which it isn't.

12 months ago I think you probably do get two first round picks. This draft is a bit different and a number of the clubs interested in Houston don't have the picks or need to go the draft.

He is a great player but I don't see how Carlton could give up this year's and next year's first round picks for Houston.
I don’t think we get two first round picks for Houston without a second going back, but this is really the art of list management isn’t it. You have to decide what your priorities are as a club and if that’s going to the draft, which for some it might be, then you aren’t in the market for the players that are amongst the best to be moving.

If you are in the market for them then unfortunately, high draft picks will need to be involved. You can’t have it both ways. Unfortunately Houston is in a position where teams that would want him as a missing piece don’t often have high enough picks, and teams that do wouldn’t want him because they are far enough down the ladder that he won’t move the needle.

I know. Would've thought your mob would be pushing him out the door for that!

If North are that keen on Houston they are probably better off trading pick 2 to Richmond for a bunch of their picks they get back from trades.

And then shipping off those picks for Houston, Parker and Darling.

I'm not going to go into what those picks might be because i can't really be bothered. But pick 6 would probably be involved for Houston

But the last thing North need is the 2nd best mid in the draft. They've got mids up to their eyeballs

If North are that keen on Houston they are probably better off trading pick 2 to Richmond for a bunch of their picks they get back from trades.

And then shipping off those picks for Houston, Parker and Darling.

I'm not going to go into what those picks might be because i can't really be bothered. But pick 6 would probably be involved for Houston

But the last thing North need is the 2nd best mid in the draft. They've got mids up to their eyeballs
Yeah if we got 6 and 13 from Richmond for 2, I'd happily give the first one for DH.

Problem is, we need Richmond to actually agree to trade them to us.

(Parker and Darling will get done for like picks 40 and 58)

Really hope they rethink turning that down; it’ll likely be a top 3 pick. If the club wanted something this year, they should trade our own future 1st.

F1 from North could turn into Dyson Sharp... I'd gnaw off Norths arm for that... but first they would need get Houston to agree.
If we could find capital to keep GC happy and convince Luko to join us without touching that F1, and get Perryman in you would have to walk away with a smile on your face.

Last edited:
Twomey was saying on Gettable that North has offered its F1 for Houston, but Port has stipulated they want something this year.
What!!!!!...Port get that and can either trade it for a top 5 pick this year (Richmond may well bite there once they have traded up and players out and have the picks...OR if its pick 1 or 2, Dyson Sharpe is sitting there...

IF there is any truth to this ad they have rejected it..wow

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back