Dangerfield - How close to elite is he

Remove this Banner Ad

What's his daily quota? 1000 likes?

Maybe he's trying to get the "hidden" Bigfooty trophy

They'll have to come up with one and call it the BostrichBurger Award! :thumbsu:

Love the AFL article.
mockup_AFLCtlGalleryLibraryForNews.png
Raging bull

By Harry Thring 9:58 AM Sun 12 Aug, 2012​
1_20AdFr12AFL1568.jpg

The 'Raging bull' charges forward against Fremantle
ADELAIDE'S 'raging bull',

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/144312/default.aspx

Just a quick question for those regularly at the game (or just people who take mroe notice), has he been heavily tagged yet? I didnt get to see much of yesterdays game but saw Thommo get tagged out. Did they not try and move someone onto Danger? Has this happened in previous games?

I don't think opposition coaches will waste their #1 tagger on Dangerfield. Pretty much all of the taggers out there are tagging because they have other deficiencies in their game, ie pace. They've got no chance in hell catching Danger after he's burst away from a stoppage with ball in hand. It's a waste of a tagger, putting someone on Danger, it's like tagging Judd in his younger days, you just couldn't do it, too quick and too strong through the hips when bursting out from a stoppage.

Enter 2014 when Danger starts the year as a 23 year old turning 24, he'll be entering his prime and will be known as the best player in the competition. Sure he could tidy up his field kicking a little but you can never create the perfect player, his other attributes far out weigh his bad. Glad he's in our team that's for sure. lol

I don't think opposition coaches will waste their #1 tagger on Dangerfield. Pretty much all of the taggers out there are tagging because they have other deficiencies in their game, ie pace. They've got no chance in hell catching Danger after he's burst away from a stoppage with ball in hand. It's a waste of a tagger, putting someone on Danger, it's like tagging Judd in his younger days, you just couldn't do it, too quick and too strong through the hips when bursting out from a stoppage.

Enter 2014 when Danger starts the year as a 23 year old turning 24, he'll be entering his prime and will be known as the best player in the competition. Sure he could tidy up his field kicking a little but you can never create the perfect player, his other attributes far out weigh his bad. Glad he's in our team that's for sure. lol

I dunno. Season 2014 Danger might give that a fair shake:thumbsu:

Just a quick question for those regularly at the game (or just people who take mroe notice), has he been heavily tagged yet? I didnt get to see much of yesterdays game but saw Thommo get tagged out. Did they not try and move someone onto Danger? Has this happened in previous games?
He cops a tag from time to time. It takes him a bit of time to figure out how to break the tag but once he does he just dominates.

Obviously the next steps is to cope with it week in week out. The great thing about Danger is that he is a quick learner and his strength, power game and elite pace make it impossible for teams to tag him out of the game for long periods. Players either have elite pace or elite inside game so you can plan for that but Danger has both so its impossible. Teams try and form "tunnel" so when he comes out of the pack there are a few players trying to stop him. At worst its another ball up but generally its Danger standing up inthe tackle, srugging off a couple and firing off a handball to a running player whose opponent has been sucked in to help stop Danger. A classic example of this is Mackay's goal yesterday.

To use the basketball term, Danger bends the entire defence with his raging bull style of play.

I think he may have been tagged in an earlier game this season, but can't remember which

I also remember that Thommo and Sloane went nuts. So they tagged those guys in the second half and Danger went nuts

Nice prob to have
De Boer was on Dangerfield and Pearce on Sloane, apparently for this game.

Taylor Hunt went to Danger in the first Geelong game and S Selwood attempted to nullify him in the WCE match. Daisy Thomas stopped him in the Collingwood match.

He cops a tag from time to time. It takes him a bit of time to figure out how to break the tag but once he does he just dominates.

Obviously the next steps is to cope with it week in week out. The great thing about Danger is that he is a quick learner and his strength, power game and elite pace make it impossible for teams to tag him out of the game for long periods. Players either have elite pace or elite inside game so you can plan for that but Danger has both so its impossible. Teams try and form "tunnel" so when he comes out of the pack there are a few players trying to stop him. At worst its another ball up but generally its Danger standing up inthe tackle, srugging off a couple and firing off a handball to a running player whose opponent has been sucked in to help stop Danger. A classic example of this is Mackay's goal yesterday.

To use the basketball term, Danger bends the entire defence with his raging bull style of play.
That's the key .....like Jobe Watson big strong inside midfielders are very difficult to tag ....add elite pace away from the clearances and basically Dangerfield is untaggable

But at 22 he's still learning the game and will only get better .......already this year IMO his disposal has improved immensely

F

Taylor Hunt went to Danger in the first Geelong game and S Selwood attempted to nullify him in the WCE match. Daisy Thomas stopped him in the Collingwood match.

Daisy dominated him that day. It'll be interesting to see these two go head to head again because I doubt it would happen again. Danger''s impact is increasing from week to week and DAMN it's good to watch

Fremantles way of tagging Sloane and Danger yesterday at times consisted of them pushing them over at a ball up just after the ball had been bounced. Because the umpires were so focused on the Crowley/Thompson goings on, they missed those free kicks. They didn't do it too often, but it was enough for me to notice and watch out for at other times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the things that makes Danger so hard to tag is that he just continues to get the ball out with people hanging all over him. He can burn off taggers and his work around the ground through a bigger engine means he just wears you down then spits you out. He has the pace of Bunji and the strength of Roo. His long goals seem effortless at the mo and he can take a good contested mark. Barring injury he will be the best in the comp by the end of next season. Exciting times ahead.

F

Daisy dominated him that day. It'll be interesting to see these two go head to head again because I doubt it would happen again. Danger''s impact is increasing from week to week and DAMN it's good to watch
Just the last qtr if i remember rightly. Daisy hadnt done much all game.

I cant get over danger's strength, the way he can just walk up to a pack where the ball is seemingly pinned underneath other players and pluck the ball out THEN run away like everyone else is standing still is magic, theres no other way to describe it. Also the way he is able to get up off the ground when he is already being tackled or hassled for the ball, and run away until the opposition tacklers eventually bring him down or he escapes is amazing, ive never seen a player like it in my life time (last decade)

I cant get over danger's strength, the way he can just walk up to a pack where the ball is seemingly pinned underneath other players and pluck the ball out THEN run away like everyone else is standing still is magic, theres no other way to describe it. Also the way he is able to get up off the ground when he is already being tackled or hassled for the ball, and run away until the opposition tacklers eventually bring him down or he escapes is amazing, ive never seen a player like it in my life time (last decade)

the only player that I can compare him to for brute strength is Gary McIntosh

Just the last qtr if i remember rightly. Daisy hadnt done much all game.
Daisy was solid for 3 quarters but in the 4th quarter when the game was on the line he gave Danger a bath- he won the game for them. Pretty good tactical move by Buckley actually, he knows Danger will get the inside ball whether he has a tagger up his ass or not but he put Thomas on him to hurt us the other way on the outside.

But seriously, Danger is going to be one of those marquee players like a Hird, Roo, Voss, Buckley etc. I can't see him not being one to be honest. Has everything in his locker, the tiniest weakness he has is probably blazing away when under pressure. The truly elite can pick out a team mate with precision under extreme pressure. If improves that part of his game he'll be unstoppable. He's shown glimpses, in the 'Raging Bull' video on the AFL website the first passage of play/vision is exactly what he needs to try do more often, lower his eyes when under pressure and show some composure. Other than that though... he is a beast.

Funny how Dangerfield's goal from Jenkins' shank and Mackay's goal from Dangerfield's handpass are number 1 and 2 on the AFL's Top Ten plays of the week, yet neither make the top three in the goal of the week comp.

Seriously - sign Mackay up now. That's the most aggressive and purposeful I've seen him. He wants to play with us and if we can get him to bust out of his shell like that more regularly he'll become a match winner.

Agree with this 100%. Him cutting through lines like a hot knife through soft butter is what has been missing since returning from his injuries. The guy has class, and we need all the class we can get.

When we played Geelong at home and Danger was tagged, he was put on the HFF if i remember rightly. Since then, and especially in recent weeks he has learnt to burn his tag off.

Well Dangerfield is the only player to take TWO spots in the Coaches Association Player of the Year award leaderboard.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/144437/default.aspx

Overall leaderboard after Round 20
93 Trent Cotchin (Rich)
88 Jobe Watson (Ess)
83 Dayne Beams (Coll)
78 Gary Ablett (GC)
74 Patrick Dangerfield, Scott Thompson (Adel), Matthew Boyd (WB)
73 Scott Pendlebury (Coll)
64 Patrick Dangerfield (Adel)
63 Brett Deledio (Rich), Josh Kennedy (Syd)

If that's not elite, I don't know what is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield - How close to elite is he

Remove this Banner Ad

Back