Opinion Dangerfield v Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Crouch has plenty of X factor about him. Give him another season and we will see where he is at this time next year!

I didn't say he doesn't have X factor....

Are you saying he has more X factor than Dangerfield? You must be joking

Read the posts above before you post. At the same age it doesn't matter. Rhys Palmer and Daniel rich are better than both at 19...so I guess they have Dangerfield covered :rolleyes:

Doesnt it?
Oh ok then.

I thought it was Crouch's first year in the AFL. For **** sake give the kid a few years to develop before you compare him to our best player. :rolleyes:

Read the posts above before you post. At the same age it doesn't matter. Rhys Palmer and Daniel rich are better than both at 19...so I guess they have Dangerfield covered :rolleyes:

This makes no sense at all. You're asking who will be the better player, yet expect people to make that decision based on one player being in their first year of AFL football, with the other being far ahead on his development track. Obviously right now, Dangerfield is the better player, but he may not be once Crouch hits 23 years of age and has 4-5 years of AFL experience under his belt. On the other side of your Rhys Palmer/Daniel Rich argument, there is Chris Judd, who was excellent as a 19 year old, and then went on to win a Brownlow medal 2 years later.

I posted this earlier today in the Betts thread (shortly after it went off-topic):
Could well end up being our next "who's better - Roo or McLeod" debate. Both have their strengths & weaknesses. Both are legends of the club and multiple AA winners. For all that though, they are/were as different as chalk & cheese.

When it comes to Dangerfield vs Crouch, Dangerfield has speed & the ability to do the freakish. Crouch has a better football brain, a better ability to read the play and better disposal. He doesn't have Danger's express pace, but he's certainly not slow.

If I were to bet right now, I'd say that Crouch will probably end up the better player - but we're comparing a 9.5/10 player with a 9.45/10 player, so don't get too upset about it.

I can't think that we've ever had a first year mid play like this; just saying i will be elite, and you better get ready to compare me to players who've come before and not just this generation.

Crouch has champion stamped all over him. And to think the price we paid was very high, but not unbeatable

A few clubs might regret not getting involved in that auction. JAG for #4 Crouch for #10 & #11(ish)

You'd get laughed out the room if either club was offered the original purchase price now

I can't think that we've ever had a first year mid play like this; just saying i will be elite, and you better get ready to compare me to players who've come before and not just this generation.

Crouch has champion stamped all over him. And to think the price we paid was very high, but not unbeatable

A few clubs might regret not getting involved in that auction. JAG for #4 Crouch for #10 & #11(ish)

You'd get laughed out the room if either club was offered the original purchase price now

Band 1 and 2 compensation picks activated during the expansion drafts reverted to after first round picks, so we didn't give up pick 11. Had we kept the pick, and activated it last year (a pretty likely scenario), it would have been pick 21.

I think that trying to compare these two is stupid. I say that because both are still young and Crouch is only in his first year. For the time been lets just be satisfied that we have two bloody good players on our books. Well we have a few at the moment I don't want to upset Sloane and others. Having said that I think that Grigg is going to be considered in the same breath as both Crouch and Danger. Grigg to me is going to be classy, smooth. Stays on his feet, creates room to move and disposes of the ball magnificently. Its like we have a Roo, a Macca and an Edwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheedys words were pretty loud mid year when he questioned why clubs wouldn't trade for those mini draft picks ( he was asking for established players) and seeing the ability both of these kids have already, he looks justified.

I'm guessing the debate on why we didn't take Ben Kennedy with the mini draft pick has been put to bed now as well

Band 1 and 2 compensation picks activated during the expansion drafts reverted to after first round picks, so we didn't give up pick 11. Had we kept the pick, and activated it last year (a pretty likely scenario), it would have been pick 21.

I know exactly how it worked, and everyone expected the pick to be around the same mark

GWS were just very unlucky.

Lol good call on the avatar :D

I've seen a lot of football, and when a player has a good first year, people start predicting the best player ever. Just bookmark this thread and we will revisit it in the next couple of years. Crouch will never be as good as Dangerfield, Dangerfield is a once in a generation player.
Do people realize he gets tagged every week for the whole season? Yet we say sloane, Douglas and crouch had better second halves of the season? If any of those three got tagged they would have little to no influence, whilst the number 32 deals with it every week

Good luck to you all jumping off the Dangerfield wagon so early lol, I'll make sure to quote your posts next year :thumbsu:

Crouch always seems to naturally find him in the right positions and his decision making and handballing in traffic is elite. I would never jump off the danger wagon he is a once in a generation player but I think you will find in a few years that we have two 'once' in a generation footballers. Danger gets tagged, Crouch will be the type of player that is un-taggable. He gets the majority of his possessions in an under and even good taggers like Crowley cant stop a quick handball out to a running player.

Once we can get a consistent midfield of Crouch, Danger, Sloane, Smith, Grigg we will have all of the weapons to be a very dangerous side. Add a fit Tex and possibly Betts and maybe Polec we could see some significant improvement next year.

Irrelevant.

No player takes the same amount of time to develop into an AFL footballer.
Dangerfield wasnt aerobically fit enough to play in the midfield, and thus played forward

If we compared a 19 year old dangerfield to a 19 year old rhys palmer...you would choose rhys palmer?
I'm thinking that was his point? That comparing them at this stage is also irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Dangerfield v Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back