Oppo Camp Dangerfield's Gone (Zero tolerance to trolling) - READ THREAD LINKED IN OP BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

If Geelong really want Dangerfield for free, they should just offer him a 9-year $10 million deal like Sydney did with Franklin. Then all this controversy about matching would not exist. I'd be happy for them if they did that.

We probably could still match. But the risk is he chooses to stay with us and then we are stuck paying him 1.1M a year until he's 35.

So much speculation - we just do not know:
  • how Geelong are going to play it
  • how AFC are going to play it
  • what the AFL are going to offer for compo
My guess is that the best compo we could get from the AFL would be two first round picks - one after ours / one at the end. We would only take that if those picks in turn satisfied the needs of other clubs we are looking to trade with. Add in the difference between pick 9 (geelong) and pick 14 (AFC) - I'm sure our recruiters will be pretty clear on what we would get at each, and that difference might be massive.

Geelong are desperate for the PD deal to go through, desperate. They cannot walk away from Patrick, or be seen to even take one step in the wrong direction.

The AFL will not burn the other 17 clubs for us. I cannot see how we get away with anything that is even close to sneaky. All of these ideas of getting the compo pick and trading Mackay for Geelong's pick 9, I love the idea of ... but will the AFL turn a blind eye? I doubt it.

Lots of water to pass under a lot of bridges before we know what we get / Geelong lose for PD.

I have massive faith in the new regime, will be great to come out of this with a better list and show the fruits next year.

Not so much in that they have been skewed towards the positive. An article today, merely states the facts, as it should, without any agenda and petty remarks. Something has changed, certainly. I think he's been given a message.
That smelly, moth-eaten tri-colour state jacket he was rocking in the rooms after the elimination final was perhaps another sign?

I thought we could've hooked him up with a fresh new (clean) BLK jacket for his trouble...

Chris Pelchen is backing Adelaide in to play hardball.

I do.

They whole argument for why the draft is legally compliant is that the AFLPA have collectively signed up to it.

If they took that consent away it gets a whole lot more dicey.
No it's not. The whole argument is based in law- that being the draft is reasonable in the circumstances to protect the game and is in the public interest.

The AFLPA consent merely avoids the fight from occurring, but it's not the reason the draft "may" be compliant. Emphasis on may- it's far from black and white.

Not that this is the place for it; but there are very sound reasons why the draft word stand up if challenged. It is far from a foregone conclusion- but It's a fight the AFL doesn't want to have, yet.

Of course there are. That's why the AFLPA is continually throwing its weight around on this issue and getting its way

Maybe the AFL has a special Harry Potter potion to use at the last minute? ;)

No it's not. The whole argument is based in law- that being the draft is reasonable in the circumstances to protect the game and is in the public interest.

That's not an argument based in law. that's an ambit claim. There is no public interest in a pro sports league; nor does the idea of the AFL as a single employer need to rely on an argument for restriction to protect its interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but it would seem the timing for all this is fairly important? Matching period finishes 1 day before trade period finishes. Doesn't leave much time for other trades to be done if this drags on.

We get 3 days to match though, if we match immediately, that leaves us 4 days. This is also assuming Geelong wait until the last minute to submit the offer.

on this years form Selwood is not top 5

regardless of ranking, no point having two good openers when you don't have the talent to bat through the middle and late order

If the rankings included "looking up to the umpire with whiny face after each stoppage" or "ducking during tackles", he's been league leader for years.

So much speculation - we just do not know:
  • how Geelong are going to play it
  • how AFC are going to play it
  • what the AFL are going to offer for compo
My guess is that the best compo we could get from the AFL would be two first round picks - one after ours / one at the end. We would only take that if those picks in turn satisfied the needs of other clubs we are looking to trade with. Add in the difference between pick 9 (geelong) and pick 14 (AFC) - I'm sure our recruiters will be pretty clear on what we would get at each, and that difference might be massive.

Geelong are desperate for the PD deal to go through, desperate. They cannot walk away from Patrick, or be seen to even take one step in the wrong direction.

The AFL will not burn the other 17 clubs for us. I cannot see how we get away with anything that is even close to sneaky. All of these ideas of getting the compo pick and trading Mackay for Geelong's pick 9, I love the idea of ... but will the AFL turn a blind eye? I doubt it.

Lots of water to pass under a lot of bridges before we know what we get / Geelong lose for PD.

I have massive faith in the new regime, will be great to come out of this with a better list and show the fruits next year.

I think Adelaide have well and truly shown how they are going to play it.

The Best outcome for Geelong is, if both Adelaide and Geelong get approval from the AFL for the compo and then under a trade on a seperate deal like someone say maybe pick 50 and some hack for Guthrie and pick 9(example only). Approval must be sought first as there is no hope in hell adelaide will want to be caught in a draft scandal. But what will be the reaction from the other 16 teams, cant see the AFL wanting to set those sort of predents it could spell danger for the comp and its draft policy!

If this cant be acheived Geelong will just have to trade two 1st rounders and a player

Chris Pelchen is backing Adelaide in to play hardball.
Listen to the reaction from Andy maher after hearing he's worth atleast 2 first round picks.....what a knob

The issue will be while Fagan has said the Crows will match it, do you have the salary cap space in the first two years to actually match it, Geelong may come out with an offer you cant match given the amount of retirements and extra space available, their will be a whole lot more to play out with twists and turns yet as both parties look at scenarios.

The issue will be while Fagan has said the Crows will match it, do you have the salary cap space in the first two years to actually match it, Geelong may come out with an offer you cant match given the amount of retirements and extra space available, their will be a whole lot more to play out with twists and turns yet as both parties look at scenarios.

Isn't the entire deal matched, not necessarily having to be identical year to year?

Not that this is the place for it; but there are very sound reasons why the draft word stand up if challenged. It is far from a foregone conclusion- but It's a fight the AFL doesn't want to have, yet.

It's also a fight I doubt the AFLPA want to have. The AFLs resources in terms of a legal battle far outweigh those of the AFLPA, I also suspect the AFLs lawyers would have spent countless hours analyzing every legal angle of the draft, as well as likely discussing it with the likes of the NBA and NFL, the AFLPAs strength is the importance of the players to the game.

Besides, the AFLPA is a group of current, they've been through the draft already, what is their major motivating factor for spending millions of dollars of the players money on something which offers the players little to no benefit.

The AFLPA are far more likely IMO, to push for unlimited free agency, or close to it. In fact they'd be far more likely to abolish the draft if the got FA qualification down to 4 or even 2 years, as this would essentially eliminate any benefit for the draft and the clubs would end up pushing for the abolishment of the draft. What is the point of a draft, if the player you draft can nick off freely 2-4 years later?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Dangerfield's Gone (Zero tolerance to trolling) - READ THREAD LINKED IN OP BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Back