Injury Daniel Menzel - 4th ruptured ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Signed for 3 years when drafted (10, 11, 12), then signed a 2 year extension in 2012 taking him through til the end of 2014. Given that, and the fact CS made clear in recent comments that we would stick by him if it went again, I think there's little doubt Menz will stay on our (senior) list in 2014. The club will stick by him, it's only a matter of whether he wants to give it another go or not, and hopefully he does. Must be a very tough time for him.
If he does have another shot at it,and hopefully there is enough left in that knee for a traditional graft I hope we give him the full 12 months of recovery,I personally don't want to be hearing he could possibly be back rd one of the NAB cup next year.

I only heard a bit of SEN this morning but I liked what Watson said.
For his mental health, repair it and send him around the world travelling for a year.
Let him know it's not the end of the world.

If he does have another shot at it,and hopefully there is enough left in that knee for a traditional graft I hope we give him the full 12 months of recovery,I personally don't want to be hearing he could possibly be back rd one of the NAB cup next year.

I tend to agree.

However when you consider Daniel said back in January that he opted for the LARS because it would have been too mentally difficult to do a third 'traditional' back-to-back, it's hard to see how he would want to opt for a traditional for the fourth, assuming he is able to have LARS again.

Anyway I'd imagine no decision will be made for a few days, hopefully the media gives him space and the club gives him all the support possible as he decides what to do next.

I sincerely hope the media and the public can be prevented from approaching him. He needs time and space to calm down and think about his future without any pressure.

I tend to agree.

However when you consider Daniel said back in January that he opted for the LARS because it would have been too mentally difficult to do a third 'traditional' back-to-back, it's hard to see how he would want to opt for a traditional for the fourth, assuming he is able to have LARS again.

Anyway I'd imagine no decision will be made for a few days, hopefully the media gives him space and the club gives him all the support possible as he decides what to do next.
Good point but in January he would also have been looking at playing two thirds of this season by going with the LARS,I feel which ever way they go if they go at all he won't see any action this year would he,theoretical with another Lars he could but surly they wouldn't,so may as well go traditional if it's an option I feel.

I only heard a bit of SEN this morning but I liked what Watson said.
For his mental health, repair it and send him around the world travelling for a year.
Let him know it's not the end of the world.

Absolutely. Think that's what Morabito is doing right now. They might have actually had a bit to do with each other in the past, being blue chip prospects from the same draft year (albeit from different states). There will be support in place for whatever he needs. If he wants to have another go, if he's had enough of it...the club has to be there for him, whatever he wants to do. It's the least they can do for him.

But definitely...do the surgery (whatever that's going to involve), build up to where it's possible to walk on pain-free and put him on a plane. Three months, six months, whatever. I'd be happy for him to keep footy in the back of his mind as much as possible until next preseason, if he does want to give it another shot.

Surely someone in Thailand can set him up with some roids :D

****ing **** Mother****ing ****ing bloody ****ing son of a motherless goat.:(

I feel like I've been gut punched can't even begin to imagine how Menz must be feeling.
I hope the club puts all the options out there for him and he takes sometime to himself to think about what he wants to do, as much as we all want to be back in the hoops I hope Dan does what is best for him be that making one more try or calling it a day whatever he does I hope the club and it's supporters back him 100%
Could see him doing a developmental role similar to Ego

Signed for 3 years when drafted (10, 11, 12), then signed a 2 year extension in 2012 taking him through til the end of 2014. Given that, and the fact CS made clear in recent comments that we would stick by him if it went again, I think there's little doubt Menz will stay on our (senior) list in 2014. The club will stick by him, it's only a matter of whether he wants to give it another go or not, and hopefully he does. Must be a very tough time for him.
IMHO it would be surprising it the Cats use a senior list spot on what must be a very speculative possibility that he is ever able to play. I doubt he would want to hold someone else out either.

Horrible situation but I would imagine the club will have to be pragmatic about his future at this point - 100% support, but possibly via some arrangement where someone else can be put on the senior list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

****ing **** Mother****ing ****ing bloody ****ing son of a motherless goat.:(

I feel like I've been gut punched can't even begin to imagine how Menz must be feeling.
I hope the club puts all the options out there for him and he takes sometime to himself to think about what he wants to do, as much as we all want to be back in the hoops I hope Dan does what is best for him be that making one more try or calling it a day whatever he does I hope the club and it's supporters back him 100%
Could see him doing a developmental role similar to Ego

That motherless goat is getting an absolute smashing right now... And deservedly so....
Go Menzel ...

IMHO it would be surprising it the Cats use a senior list spot on what must be a very speculative possibility that he is ever able to play. I doubt he would want to hold someone else out either.

Horrible situation but I would imagine the club will have to be pragmatic about his future at this point - 100% support, but possibly via some arrangement where someone else can be put on the senior list.

He'll be an LTI for the rest of the year, so a rookie will be able to come up. By the time tough decisions have to be made on the list, he'll either be well on his way to full fitness, or he'll have made the choice not to go on anyway. In that regard, I reckon it's going to be Menzel's choice, rather than the club's. If he wants to commit 100% to another long rehabilitation, he's too damn talented to cut until his contract runs out. If it's the difference between having a fifth round national draft pick (from his vacated spot on the list) and a rookie draft pick (if we re-rookied him, Domsy-style) in play, so be it.

Devo'd for Menzel.
I hope he can get his head around the situation and begin to move forward with a positive attitude on life.
I'd also like to see him have another crack at surgery (traditional Patela graft) and take longer than needed to get back onto the ground.
If he has surgery soon he could begin a pre season in April and possibly play July 2014.

We kept one Nathan Ablett on the senior list for an extra year when it was likely he wouldn't come back, I can't see any reason why we wouldn't do the same with Menzel. Anyway, let's not jump the gun too much, kid needs time to decide what he himself wants to do before those decisions are made, but if he wants to try again I have no doubt the club will support him and help him do that (CS said as much).

We kept one Nathan Ablett on the senior list for an extra year when it was likely he wouldn't come back, I can't see any reason why we wouldn't do the same with Menzel. Anyway, let's not jump the gun too much, kid needs time to decide what he himself wants to do before those decisions are made, but if he wants to try again I have no doubt the club will support him and help him do that (CS said as much).
We did similar with Ego as well. The club has a fantastic track record of giving players every chance possible to get back

According to Motlop the club are having a special meeting with the Chemist and Danks

and if they inject the area with chicken stock, calf blood, and tambark he will be ok

the kid will bounce back

but might ask for a transfer to the blues to be with his brother, ie play a game together

According to Motlop the club are having a special meeting with the Chemist and Danks

and if they inject the area with chicken stock, calf blood, and tambark he will be ok

the kid will bounce back

but might ask for a transfer to the blues to be with his brother, ie play a game together
This really isn't the time nor the place for your wild theories TMA

Andrew Krakouer.
Peter Hudson, also in his case five years away with an ACL. When Huddo did it the injury was considered career ending. Things have changed since then. I feel for players like Menz,the Ox, Walker at Collingwood, Max Bailey at Hawthorn and others who have copped multiple ACL's. All the best to a still young Daniel Menzel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Daniel Menzel - 4th ruptured ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back