Injury Daniel Menzel - 4th ruptured ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Very sorry news. Such a different talent. He seems to have a good attitude and common sense. All the best whatever he wants to do.

Hope you read ALL the previous posts before chiming in with that!
Calling a professional a muppet who comes out with sh-t is acceptable?
We are all devastated by the news, and it is CLEAR that the ACL has reruptured if you listen to AW, SEN , etc tonight.
But even if it wasn't, some of those comments were way below the belt, and perhaps worthy of being told so. Doc Larkins would not have announced that from WA without knowledge. We do not need the scans to be sure- if the graft / ACL is torn, it takes 10 seconds to make a diagnosis in experienced hands.
Anyway, 100% support for DM in every capacity is paramount.

My point still remains mate - you are going around telling people how they should and should not react to the news. Including telling me to "get real" when I simply pointed out that the club had initially said it was precautionary.

No need to get angry at ppl for having a strong reaction to it, what's the point?

Anyway as you say yourself, all thoughts should be with Daniel.

I feel so sorry for Menz.

Put yourself in his shoes. To have such potential superstar talent coming into your career in a sport you love. All at age 19. You must have felt like you won the lottery. You go up against the best in the land, and you destroy them. Once again, you are only 19. You are 19, and opposition teams in the best competition in the country are already scared of you. Then mother nature plays a sick joke on you. Four times. :(

37178061.jpg

'Shattered' was how I was when he did it in his comeback last year. When I heard the news on the weekend, I just felt numb. It's hard to even put it in the context of the team at the moment; I just hope he's ok mentally.

This has caused so much anger to build up inside me, I fear i could join the dark side...

Which would obviously be supporting hawthorn.
He will be back. This kid has the desire. The work Ethic. and Talent. He will play again.

This has caused so much anger to build up inside me, I fear i could join the dark side...

Which would obviously be supporting hawthorn.
He will be back. This kid has the desire. The work Ethic. and Talent. He will play again.
They also received shit news from their match on the weekend,I feel for their kid to,same deal.

What can you say that hasn't already been said over and over again about Menz... I just hope he listens to his doctors, absolutely no one could blame him if he hung up the boots for good after what he's been through.

Maybe he should write off all of next season, live a little, travel, get some interests outside of football and then if the desire is there make a quasi second coming for season 2015 if you know what I mean.
I couldn't imagine the mental strain the poor guy will be going through, maybe a bit of time away from it all to realise its a big beautiful world while he gets a little bigger and stronger is just what he needs.?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately with LARS this was always a possibility. I was just hoping he could play out this year, maybe get through 2014 even before this happened again. I can't imagine what he's going through. Sad news for him, the club, us supporters and to the footy public in general. In that we all could be robbed of seeing such a talent play footy again. I hope if he wants to try again, that the club search the globe for the best possible outcome, there has to be some knee guru in Europe or somewhere who can give him some chance of having some sort of a career. That kind of talent is worth the risk and money IMO.

Someone mentioned that the Geelong #10 is cursed on twitter and it should be retired. I thought it was a bit of a throw away line but then I thought Kane Tenace was #10. Then I thought wasn't Stephen Hooper #10 also? After doing a check of who else, I saw Marc Woolnough's name :/ 2 guys who were seriously high picks who didn't develop and 2 guys crippled by knee injuries. Only Grant Tanner kinda bucked the trend but it wasn't like he was a 100 gamer either. Over 23 odd years that's a lot of bad luck so maybe there is something to it :(

Unfortunately with LARS this was always a possibility. I was just hoping he could play out this year, maybe get through 2014 even before this happened again. I can't imagine what he's going through. Sad news for him, the club, us supporters and to the footy public in general. In that we all could be robbed of seeing such a talent play footy again. I hope if he wants to try again, that the club search the globe for the best possible outcome, there has to be some knee guru in Europe or somewhere who can give him some chance of having some sort of a career. That kind of talent is worth the risk and money IMO.

Someone mentioned that the Geelong #10 is cursed on twitter and it should be retired. I thought it was a bit of a throw away line but then I thought Kane Tenace was #10. Then I thought wasn't Stephen Hooper #10 also? After doing a check of who else, I saw Marc Woolnough's name :/ 2 guys who were seriously high picks who didn't develop and 2 guys crippled by knee injuries. Only Grant Tanner kinda bucked the trend but it wasn't like he was a 100 gamer either. Over 23 odd years that's a lot of bad luck so maybe there is something to it :(

Good point, maybe give him 11, can't hurt

Hope he gets all the space he needs and has a few good mates to get around him. Can't imagine how this must feel. I don't have any faith in the media to leave him alone but hopefully for once they can keep their ****ing noses out for a few days.

Just got to keep the faith in him, and support whatever decision he makes. I don't think he'll give it up yet, guy is obviously a fighter.

Good luck Dan, we're all behind you

Poor bugger. His head and emotions must be shot. I honestly dont see how anyone could get past a 4th and still have faith in joints.

Does medicine or surgery have any alternative...a double ACL put in, or steel or titanium cable ...i know few years ago there was a lot of talk about horses ligaments or tendons as they are stronger, but think that was for achillies.

Might sound strange by why no double ACL or some super treatment graft or something.

If Alaistair Lynch can take a form of roids (if i remember correctly) for chronic fatigue...why isnt there something better than LARS for people like Menz?

they were in our league. arrived on a rather secure looking bus with a bunch of guards. different to the usual, and certainly didnt all join us at the bar for a few pots after!

one of them wasn't a short pink looking fella with a nose like a pig nicknamed podge was there?

One of the unfortunate good players that keeps getting injured. Good luck Menz.

Edit - from doc larkins website

An injury to the ACL in sport is not unique to Australia and there has been a great deal of research on this procedure around the world. As experience with knee reconstruction surgery evolved, doctors and scientists during the 1980’s looked at a number of synthetic materials to try and make the procedure more straight forward and easier on the patient. Synthetic grafts such as Goretex, Dacron and various composite materials (e.g.carbon and polyurethane) were all tried, but ultimately failed or caused reactions in the knee such as swelling and foreign body inflammation. Understandably the use of synthetic materials went out of favour during the 1990s as a result of the failures and complications of these synthetic materials. To this day synthetic ACL graft devices including LARS ligaments are banned in the USA and only available in a very few centres in Europe.

The LARS system (Ligament Advanced Reinforcement System) was developed by French surgeon Professor JP Laboreau in response to the failures of other synthetic materials and was fine-tuned over a lengthy period of time in an attempt to find a material that was more suitable to ligament reconstruction surgery – not only in knees, but also in ankles, shoulders and other joints that had significant ligament damage. He was also keen to avoid the morbidity associated with taking human tissue grafts (e.g. hamstring tendons) from the active athlete and the lengthy recovery times required by the conventional operation.

The LARS ligament is made from polythylene , and industrial strength polyester fibre which is specially treated to encourage the patients own tissue to grow in and around its woven porous fibres. It comes in different sizes for different joints and even has a left and right version for knee use. As such it is probably the most advanced and innovative synthetic material currently available. Nevertheless it still has problems with its longevity and requires precise technical skills to surgically implant it correctly.

So there we go.

Honestly thinking of getting my right re-done with a LARS upgrade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Daniel Menzel - 4th ruptured ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back