Injury Daniel Menzel - 4th ruptured ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

We kept one Nathan Ablett on the senior list for an extra year when it was likely he wouldn't come back, I can't see any reason why we wouldn't do the same with Menzel. Anyway, let's not jump the gun too much, kid needs time to decide what he himself wants to do before those decisions are made, but if he wants to try again I have no doubt the club will support him and help him do that (CS said as much).
You sure about that?
I thought he told us he didn't want to play after the cut off point and we had to keep him.

Still, I agree with MC. Just keep him on the list.
Not sure I'd bother upgrading a rookie though. Is there even anyone available that we need?

According to Motlop the club are having a special meeting with the Chemist and Danks

and if they inject the area with chicken stock, calf blood, and tambark he will be ok

the kid will bounce back

but might ask for a transfer to the blues to be with his brother, ie play a game together
ha ha. finally some humour from you :thumbsu::)

Horrible situation but I would imagine the club will have to be pragmatic about his future at this point - 100% support, but possibly via some arrangement where someone else can be put on the senior list.
If he has a contract till end of 2014, then the club will honour it. If the club was to cut him off next year, then next year's salary would be added to this year, pushing us over the salary cap limit (assuming we are at 100%). Same deal happens if he retires.

Anyway, for all he has gone through and is going to have to go through for the next 12 months, then he deserves all of the money promised to him.

He'll be an LTI for the rest of the year, so a rookie will be able to come up. By the time tough decisions have to be made on the list, he'll either be well on his way to full fitness, or he'll have made the choice not to go on anyway. In that regard, I reckon it's going to be Menzel's choice, rather than the club's. If he wants to commit 100% to another long rehabilitation, he's too damn talented to cut until his contract runs out. If it's the difference between having a fifth round national draft pick (from his vacated spot on the list) and a rookie draft pick (if we re-rookied him, Domsy-style) in play, so be it.
I didn't say he'd be "cut" - suggested they might try to come to an arrangement with him which covers the possibility of him playing again without assuming he needs a spot on the senior list. Which is possible as I understand it, despite his contract.

The whole thing is awful, anyway.

If he has a contract till end of 2014, then the club will honour it. If the club was to cut him off next year, then next year's salary would be added to this year, pushing us over the salary cap limit (assuming we are at 100%). Same deal happens if he retires.

Anyway, for all he has gone through and is going to have to go through for the next 12 months, then he deserves all of the money promised to him.
dont think he will not receive his money - don't think we need to go there is discussion

but my feel on th kid is that he loves the game and will try even when there is no hope to get back

born competitor

given sj ankles were so bad and he has played so much great football heres hoping

Very sad

Maybe he should consider going down the Egan path. Concentrate on a career in coaching

A reminder of the clubs commitment to Menz in the HS today:

The words of Geelong coach Chris Scott on the eve of Menzel’s comeback match two weeks ago now have an eerie significance.

Scott said the club would stick by Menzel even if the knee went again.

“He can have faith that he’s done everything he can possibly do. And if there’s a bad outcome somewhere along the line, then I think he’ll face that the same way that he’s faced this one” Scott said on April 9.

“I’m quite prepared to say this publicly. If at some point he hurts his knee again, we’ll just go through the same process and he’ll be back because the medical staff are telling us that there’s no reason he can’t be”

We stick!:thumbsu:

Has anything actually been confirmed officially?

On fox sports news it's been confirmed he needs a reconstruction. Really sad to see this happen to the young man.

On fox sports news it's been confirmed he needs a reconstruction. Really sad to see this happen to the young man.
From Sportal:

Geelong youngster Daniel Menzel's worst fears have been confirmed with scans on Monday revealing he has ruptured his ACL for the fourth time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say he'd be "cut" - suggested they might try to come to an arrangement with him which covers the possibility of him playing again without assuming he needs a spot on the senior list. Which is possible as I understand it, despite his contract.

I think no matter which way you slice it, once you start going down that path, the player would (with good justification) feel that his own club doesn't have faith in him being able to get back on the park. If Menzel wants to go through the rehab process yet again, I think it's much more important for the club to show him that he has its total support, rather than hedging their bets in case he doesn't make it. As far as I'm concerned, Daniel Menzel is a senior listed player at our club until he decides he doesn't want to be, or until his current contract expires (at the earliest). And if that turns out to be the 'wrong move' and it ends up costing us a shot at some diamond-in-the-rough late in the draft, so be it. Geelong players and AFL players in general recognise and respect these sort of displays of loyalty and support by the club towards its players. And when it comes time to repay that loyalty, they're more willing to do so.

I just seen the footage on Cats TV,I'll confirm it,you don't have to be Dr Peter Larkins,it's classic ACL unfortunatly.:(
It looks so similar to how he did it last year even down to the location has to be within 10m of the same spot

From the club:

The worst fears have come true for Daniel Menzel with the young midfielder rupturing the ACL in his left knee.

Menzel who was playing his second game back from LARS surgery on Saturday, twisted the knee in a tackling maneuver.

Speaking to Cats TV, Cats physiotherapist Mike Snelling said scans performed today showed the worst.

“He pivoted on that knee when an opponent tried to get around him.” Snelling said.

“He felt an immediate pop and some pain and he was pretty adamant that he had done some damage.”

“We’ve subsequently scanned him and that’s the knee that had the LARS graft and that graft is snapped up near its insertion.”

“Now the trick is we’ve all got to get our heads together and think about the future for Dan’s knee, what’s best for his knee, we’re going to go through every single possibility we can and leave no stone unturned."

“Dan will obviously have a big impact on that as well. Hopefully by the end of the week we’ve made some pretty clear decisions on what we are going to do going forward.”

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2013-04-22/menzel-snaps-lars-graft.workstation

We are all behind Dan. Shocking recurrence when we were starting to dare to dream. Good to see notes of support from so many other clubs' supporters on this thread - onya.
Good luck to him.
Let's not talk about this or that option if this is that occurs: it's not a great look. Let's just wish him well for now.

Shocking news for Daniel, one of my favourite players in the comp and shocking to hear that he needs another re-co, such horrible news for a player so talented. Followed Dan pretty closely over his career and I was really gutted to hear about what happened.

Wishing him the best of luck in his recovery, can safely say that for almost all Carlton supporters who have taken a liking to Dan, especially given Troy plays for us now. Hope he returns in the hoops as soon as possible, would love to see him out there tearing it up again (just not against us ;) ) :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Daniel Menzel - 4th ruptured ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back