Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you normally answer a question with a question?

I don't know the details of the Suns cap, but if Bowes +7 out was the best option to solve the problem it's justified.
Thats right. So using the same logic if a deal gets done for pick 6 (plus other movements of salary and points/picks which you dont know the details of) then that will be justified too.

There will be other players in these trades Rioli,Bolton & Baker. From what I have heard is because the Kangas could be looking to swap Pick 2 for a couple of Top 10 picks. There is only 1 team that could have them and that is the Tigers if they get the right trades for Bolton & Rioli. If they get 6,20 for Rioli & 10,17 for Bolton they could swap 6 & 10 for Pick 2 so the Tigers will have 1&2 but also 17 & 20 in the 1st Round. To go with that we will probably end up with pick 14 from Brisbane.

There will be other players in these trades Rioli,Bolton & Baker. From what I have heard is because the Kangas could be looking to swap Pick 2 for a couple of Top 10 picks. There is only 1 team that could have them and that is the Tigers if they get the right trades for Bolton & Rioli. If they get 6,20 for Rioli & 10,17 for Bolton they could swap 6 & 10 for Pick 2 so the Tigers will have 1&2 but also 17 & 20 in the 1st Round. To go with that we will probably end up with pick 14 from Brisbane.
It's supposedly a very even draft, Richmond would be better off just keeping 6 and 10 in that scenario.

I'm getting a bit sick of people devaluing Rioli because he's a half back flanker. Lets be clear, he's easily one of the best in his position, and he can credibly pinch hit in the midfield and forward line. If AA was actually selected on positions he'd have multiple caps.

Sure he's not as valuable as an absolute top flight key position player or gun midfielder. But as a contracted player who has been targeted his trade value starts at 6.

The Tigers may get a second first round pick in the deal, but that will be based on trading Richmonds later picks back for points. Or perhaps salary if thats of interest to GC.

Last edited:
It's supposedly a very even draft, Richmond would be better off just keeping 6 and 10 in that scenario.

Ok so North have loaded up on Mids the last few Drafts but are now lacking KPP this draft is so good the Top 7-8 will probably all be Midfielders so to pick a KPP at Pick 2 would be going too early as they would have to pick the best available another Mid. There next pick isn't until Pick 22 so this way they can still get a good midfielder and get one of the 1st KPPs that start getting selected around the 10th pick. The Tigers are happy because they get the 2 Best Midfielders in this draft hopefully and are still amongst the other KPP picks with 14,17,20 & 21.

I'm getting a bit sick of people devaluing Rioli because he's a half back flanker. Lets be clear, he's easily one of the best in his position, and he can credibly pinch hit in the midfield and forward line. If AA was actually selected on positions he'd have multiple caps.

Sure he's not as valuable as an absolute top flight key position player or gun midfielder. But as a contracted player who has been targeted his trade value starts at 6.

The Tigers may get a second first round pick in the deal, but that will be based on trading Richmonds later picks back for points. Or perhaps salary if thats of interest to GC.

You really reckon Rioli was better than the 4 back flankers + Whitfield (bench) in the AA team this year?

That’s before you also consider squad members in Clark, Holmes and Dale etc.

Last edited:
Maybe both clubs should say stuff it and do a straight swap Rioli to the Suns & Flanders to the Tigers. Both are contracted until 2027 and Flanders will get the opportunity to win a Flag.
Flanders isn’t an old man

Absolutely. If the team they're going to is already contending.

Prestia went to a team that made finals 3 of the last 4 seasons.

Steven May went to a team off a prelim.

Ben Brown wasn't even remotely what tipped Melbourne over the top for their flag.

Rioli is a 27 year old half back flanker going to a club that has never played finals.

Shai Bolton to a club that has made finals once in the past 9 years.

They are not the needle movers Richmond fans so desperately want everyone to believe.

Error in your thinking though, it's Dimma that badly wants Rioli as he believes he would be a valuable addition. Freo want Bolton because they need a match winner in their forwardline who can also play midfield.

It's not just Richmond fans that think they are needle movers. Your targeting the wrong people, maybe you need to write a letter to those clubs letting them know you believe they are making a huge mistake.

My whole point is that the suns won’t pay more than what they value him at. That’s the ceiling for the potential deal.
When the suns approached him and licked his ear and made him all fuzzy they knew it was not going to be cheap

When the season was over and the sun's knew which pick they had they knew thats what was going to be asked and agreed with Rioli's manager they will get the deal done

Rioli then requests a trade

No Chance the suns keep pick #7

If they want salary paid thats a separate deal on the side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really reckon Rioli was better than the 4 back flankers + Whitfield (bench) in the AA team this year?

That’s before you also consider squad members in Clark, Holmes and Dale etc.
I think this just proves how easy the position is. There's lots of seemingly good players there. Dan Rioli is pretty good but he's behind at least the 7 names you mentioned and there's probably one at every club (even Gold Coast with Powell) that supporters would argue is better. It's just the easiest position to find someone decent in.

I think 13 is about right if a fair trade is being done. However, there's no homesickness card here, there's just Dimma seemingly chasing a heavily contracted mate of his. There's also everyone seeming to think this is basically done.

6 is ridiculous but you're team does treat picks differently so I can see it being the price required. If they give up more than 6 though I'd be clutching pearls and sending strongly worded letters, that would be disgusting.
1725365997071.png

Yes, I really dont care how it's spun, 6 plus for Rioli is genuinely disgusting. And the plus being talked about around are is like 13 or 20 which is just lunacy (but it's the Suns, who knows). I also thought the Saad trade was disgusting but at least that in hindsight was a COVID draft and that's literally something coming with 8 for Saad so odd comparison.
Did you also believe the Cerra trade was disgusting in hindsight ?

No i dont and that's not how this works and I'm getting frustrated and annoyed talking about dumb comparisons with you.
Well then you are clearly Bias as there is not a way in the world Cerra is worth pick #6 plus change

take the purple glasses off the current freo board would be screaming if your pick #17 was traded back to get him

Lots of people losing it over pick 6.

This is the same club only 2 years ago traded pick 7 for a salary dump to geelong. We will be taking some of riolis salary for the higher pick plus give them picks/points for lombard. Suns have history in doing these types of deals especially when a player is keen to come.
Richmond also took Anthony Banik and Richard Lounder with previous pick number ones both of which lasted only about 3 years in the league, so this means Richmond has history of duds with pick number one and as such using your logic should not have it.

I think this just proves how easy the position is. There's lots of seemingly good players there. Dan Rioli is pretty good but he's behind at least the 7 names you mentioned and there's probably one at every club (even Gold Coast with Powell) that supporters would argue is better. It's just the easiest position to find someone decent in.

Yep.

Plenty of players in most teams who have the attributes, and are currently playing other positions, who would be ahead of Rioli if they played back flank eg. Daicos, Sheezel, Day, Young etc.

Well then you are clearly Bias as there is not a way in the world Cerra is worth pick #6 plus change

take the purple glasses off the current freo board would be screaming if your pick #17 was traded back to get him
It's completely irrelevant to the discussion. It was a fair trade, or unders at the time as has been described by plenty of people

Yep.

Plenty of players in most teams who have the attributes, and are currently playing other positions, who would be ahead of Rioli if they played back flank eg. Daicos, Sheezel, Day, Young etc.
Young is an interesting one. Hypothetically, what would you pay for him?

Richmond also took Anthony Banik and Richard Lounder with previous pick number ones both of which lasted only about 3 years in the league, so this means Richmond has history of duds with pick number one and as such using your logic should not have it.
Time for a lay down, you're talking nonsense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back