Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a bit hard to forget when some Richmond bloke brings it up every 5 seconds. The future 1st of the premier and pick 34 is definitely overs, I'd argue less overs than 6 for Rioli but whatever. The fact they fell off a cliff is not a reflection of the trade

Lots of people losing it over pick 6.

This is the same club only 2 years ago traded pick 7 for a salary dump to geelong. We will be taking some of riolis salary for the higher pick plus give them picks/points for lombard. Suns have history in doing these types of deals especially when a player is keen to come.

Ah yes. Tom Lynch took the Tigers from checks notes prelim to premier. Amazing rocket up the ladder on the back of him joining. Really helped end that torturous one season drought.
Well we wouldn't have won the flag in 2019 without Lynch (see prelim V cats). Suns finished 17th in 2018. Ben Brown from North? There'd be a shitload of other examples.

So yes, a player coming in from a bottom club can absolutely be the difference, and has been. Ladder position doesn't determine a players value to another team. It's a stupid argument to suggest otherwise.

I would prefer 6 & F1 (not pick 20), if we pay $500K salary
Suns won't trade their F1, it's needed for next year as there are several academy players that are highly rated. Uwland jr could be a top 5 prospect.

If Luko goes the Suns won't need to buy salary cap relief if they even need to anyway. Richmond paying salary is as much for Richmond as they need to meet the 95% and are losing several high earners.

Well we wouldn't have won the flag in 2019 without Lynch (see prelim V cats). Suns finished 17th in 2018. Ben Brown from North? There'd be a shitload of other examples.

So yes, a player coming in from a bottom club can absolutely be the difference, and has been. Ladder position doesn't determine a players value to another team. It's a stupid argument to suggest otherwise.
Absolutely. If the team they're going to is already contending.

Prestia went to a team that made finals 3 of the last 4 seasons.

Steven May went to a team off a prelim.

Ben Brown wasn't even remotely what tipped Melbourne over the top for their flag.

Rioli is a 27 year old half back flanker going to a club that has never played finals.

Shai Bolton to a club that has made finals once in the past 9 years.

They are not the needle movers Richmond fans so desperately want everyone to believe.

Yes I think some of the suggestions brought up by some Tiges supporters are ridiculous, and sets those people up to blame the list manager when they think a trade is "unders' when its actually them that have said overs.

I look at 6 and think its about right. Dan is a better player than some on here seem to give him credit for, I have had the pleasure to have been able to see him live for a long time now, and I'm going to miss watching him play, but the Saad deal shows the value. He's a better player than Saad, is contracted for 3 years, and isn't going to be an issue should we not satisfy the trade request. The likelihood that we accept a trade that doesn't include 6, means that whatever that other trade is would have to be massive overs.
Lots of people losing it over pick 6.

This is the same club only 2 years ago traded pick 7 for a salary dump to geelong. We will be taking some of riolis salary for the higher pick plus give them picks/points for lombard. Suns have history in doing these types of deals especially when a player is keen to come.
Honestly, I think even reasonable Richmond supporters rate Rioli a lot higher than everyone else and I'd imagine Dimma is as good a judge as anyone so I'll not pretend I know him as well as you guys. Maybe it will work out well for the Suns as he seems to be doing a character clean-out but it's still a hell of a lot to pay for 28 year old half-back flanker with his resume.

I dont think 6 is fair or reasonable but I think it's what they'll pay and I'm pretty sure everyone lost their minds at the Weller and Bowes trades as well

Ben Brown wasn't even remotely what tipped Melbourne over the top for their flag.

Rioli is a 27 year old half back flanker going to a club that has never played finals.

They are not the needle movers Richmond fans so desperately want everyone to believe.
Prestia went to a team that finished 13th the year prior (that got belted by nearly 20 goals in their last h&a match of 2016), a team that absolutely no one saw contending in 2017. The same position Suns finished this year. Ben Brown was pivotal to the Demons flag, you're underselling his importance to that team.

I think Damien Hardwick would be one coach that knows exactly what is required for Suns to take a big step up, and what players he needs to accomplish that.

Honestly, I think even reasonable Richmond supporters rate Rioli a lot higher than everyone else and I'd imagine Dimma is as good a judge as anyone so I'll not pretend I know him as well as you guys. Maybe it will work out well for the Suns as he seems to be doing a character clean-out but it's still a hell of a lot to pay for 28 year old half-back flanker with his resume.

I dont think 6 is fair or reasonable but I think it's what they'll pay and I'm pretty sure everyone lost their minds at the Weller and Bowes trades as well
The Weller trade is/was well overs, and only a bit relevant. He was 22 when he moved and is from the GC. Paying overs almost made sense (not really though).

The Bowes trade is not relevant here, anyone using it as a precedent is being disingenuous.

The Weller trade is/was well overs, and only a bit relevant. He was 22 when he moved and is from the GC. Paying overs almost made sense (not really though).

The Bowes trade is not relevant here, anyone using it as a precedent is being disingenuous.
Yeah Richmond fans really just want their turn to enter the Suns draft pick prize bonanza

Brian Lake? Tom Boyd? Josh Gibson? Ed Langdon?

You've made that pretty clear old mate.

Prestia went to a team that finished 13th the year prior (that got belted by nearly 20 goals in their last h&a match of 2016), a team that absolutely no one saw contending in 2017. The same position Suns finished this year. Ben Brown was pivotal to the Demons flag, you're underselling his importance to that team.

I think Damien Hardwick would be one coach that knows exactly what is required for Suns to take a big step up, and what players he needs to accomplish that.
Brian Lake? Tom Boyd? Josh Gibson? Ed Langdon?
You're really upset I'm not buying the "Richmond players will turn bottom 8 teams into premiership contender" narrative. It's ok, I'm not making the deals, breathe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is the Bowes trade (pick 7) not relevent? Happy to be corrected if you can explain.

Just presenting some facts, rather than baseless opinions like yours was. What either of us say here has no impact on any trade that gets done :thumbsu:
Yes. Comparing apples to oranges is "facts."

By naming multiple players that went from lowly teams to another team that wasn't contending, that won a flag shortly after? It was the exact premise of your silly statement.

Anyway, we move on.
Except none of the players you mentioned went to a side that's never played finals or only played 2 finals games total in the past 9 years.

It's amazing that Richmond finished last with all these Tigers players leaving that will automatically make opposition teams contenders.

2 teams only. GC want Rioli to create run and carry. Freo want Bolton to add spice to their attack and genuine X factor. Both to win a premiership - theri maiden one each.

GC seem to be struggling to move from immense talent to actual contention. They think that Dan can help change that. Rioli is the Tigers best player right now. We can 'replace' him. But it will be a drop off in performance for the Tiges. A major loss for 2025.

Freo are genuine contenders, but struggle to turn that into reality. Shai hits their weak points. He is also the sort of guy who is 90% attack. When the team sucks Shai Bolton is not your go to guy. He is still elite. But if you are good he can turn your good into amazing! Losing Shai right now isn't such a big deal for the Tigers. The team is pretty much shot right now to contend. And there are enough mature experienced, premiership players so that losing Shai isn't such a major problem for 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back