Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

And if Suns don't match they end up with player they did not want? Top 5 bid would be insane when Lombard is projected outside top 10.

All teams make their list and follow it. They don't bid to spite another team if they have a better player available.
It's not spite, and it's not insane. Is the AFL a competitive league or not? Clubs should force anyone that can match FS or academy players to pay as high a price as possible.

The Suns will match Lombard anywhere imo. Larke medalist this year, playing a VFL GF at 16, kids a gun. It would be insane not to match.

This debate is pointless though, I don't think the Suns take that pick to the draft.

That is a mistake, they should. If nothing else it wipes out more of the Suns picks as they will match him
The top 10 is just about set imo and teams usually dont put in a bid early unless he is an ashcroft/daicos/JUH level talent through the juniors and Lombard has always been rated between 5-15
specially with Richmond taking #7 & Possibly #12 of GC teams wont bother as they know they will only match with points

I think he gets the bid around the 11-15 range personally

And if Suns don't match they end up with player they did not want? Top 5 bid would be insane when Lombard is projected outside top 10.

All teams make their list and follow it. They don't bid to spite another team if they have a better player available.
I agree that teams will follow their list. Over on the draft board, the different watchers have him ranked 4, 5, 7 & 10. Espn has him 3, Rookie Me Central 11 and Twomey 12. You are probably safe if you keep 6, but it is no certainty.

Taranto and Cerra were WAY younger than Rioli - they are not comparable. Even Saab was a couple of years younger.

I think it will be pick #6 for Rioli and pick #29 (maybe even pick #41 too).

Richmond get a high end pick and salary cap space.

GC get Rioli plus points for academy players.

Win-win!
They were uncontracted. Cerra was WAY younger, Taranto was 25, and Saad was only a year younger,

Rioli has 3 years left.

What part of this do people not understand?

He is contracted. It makes a huge difference. Not one year left, the old "pre free" agent, but 3.

You have to pay extra to break the contract. I specifically gave these examples because of the price paid and the fact there was no contract left.

I did this to point out the cost/price is increased.

I agree that teams will follow their list. Over on the draft board, the different watchers have him ranked 4, 5, 7 & 10. Espn has him 3, Rookie Me Central 11 and Twomey 12. You are probably safe if you keep 6, but it is no certainty.
Just before draft teams know well the position.

It's not spite, and it's not insane. Is the AFL a competitive league or not? Clubs should force anyone that can match FS or academy players to pay as high a price as possible.

The Suns will match Lombard anywhere imo. Larke medalist this year, playing a VFL GF at 16, kids a gun. It would be insane not to match.

This debate is pointless though, I don't think the Suns take that pick to the draft.
Another point is that teams normally want to keep decent relationships.

Who knows what will happen but I am very confident that no team will bid on Lombard in top 5. 10+ is my guess.

Didnt GC pay fremantle to take Brodie ?
its exactly the same as the Bowes deal which both were shocking
This is really Baffling and i cant make any sense of this response

We are talking about the Brodie trade and how it was a salary dump

And you bring up failed picks from 40 years ago.

Maybe delete
It’s not that difficult to understand, I am pointing out that all clubs make mistakes, Bowes and pick 7 was a terrible blunder, as is picking No 1 draft picks that aren’t at even in the league 3 years later like Banik and Lounder.

Another point is that teams normally want to keep decent relationships.

Who knows what will happen but I am very confident that no team will bid on Lombard in top 5. 10+ is my guess.
And that’s also why the Tigers won’t be asking for the world for Rioli as what goes around comes around

It’s not that difficult to understand, I am pointing out that all clubs make mistakes, Bowes and pick 7 was a terrible blunder, as is picking No 1 draft picks that aren’t at even in the league 3 years later like Banik and Lounder.
Then which club mistakes do we stop at ?
maybe keep trading mistakes separate

Well we are only asking similar to what we paid for Prestia
Will only ask for the world if salary contribution is required
Prestia was coming into his prime and has given 8 seasons or so, Rioli will be in a nursing home in 8 years

Prestia was coming into his prime and has given 8 seasons or so, Rioli will be in a nursing home in 8 years

Rioli will be back in Victoria with his tail between his legs by the time he is 30

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is also value in how cheap you can get Lombard for.
True, but it's not much of a bargaining chip for Richmond that one. They can in theory, (allegedly) agree to not bid, but they can't stop other teams bidding.

This is also the last year the Suns can get an academy player for a bunch of nothing picks. Be surprising if they don't take that last opportunity.

Richmond should look to get pick 20 for a bunch of junk instead of being hard-arses about pick 6. Although I guess they will try to do the same thing with Brisbane's first.

You are kidding yeah !!!

Prestia 1st year with Richmond 2017 and in 8 years played 130 games and in 30 of these games went off injured in the 1st quarter. He was injury rone when we got him with knee issues and now has soft tissue issues last 4 years

GC will get 5-6 good years from Rioli and 100 games so similar to what we got from Dion
GC got a great deal from Richmond from Prestia

True, but it's not much of a bargaining chip for Richmond that one. They can in theory, (allegedly) agree to not bid, but they can't stop other teams bidding.

This is also the last year the Suns can get an academy player for a bunch of nothing picks. Be surprising if they don't take that last opportunity.

Richmond should look to get pick 20 for a bunch of junk instead of being hard-arses about pick 6. Although I guess they will try to do the same thing with Brisbane's first.

Collingwood and north did a trade before the start of the draft .. and magically north didn’t bid on Daicos.
Of course there is bargaining in not bidding…

I think we will get Brisbane’s first pick next year… they only have about 1300 points so they can’t afford to trade out any picks this year.

You are kidding yeah !!!

Prestia 1st year with Richmond 2017 and in 8 years played 130 games and in 30 of these games went off injured in the 1st quarter. He was injury rone when we got him with knee issues and now has soft tissue issues last 4 years

GC will get 5-6 good years from Rioli and 100 games so similar to what we got from Dion
GC got a great deal from Richmond from Prestia
Prestia won your B&F in a premiership year
At best Rioli might win it when you’re amassing 2 wins for the year

chalk and cheese

I guess the question is, do Suns need/want another highly talented kid with pick 7? That would be probably a midfielder and I am not sure he would be in best 22 considering Suns midfield. So Suns would get a kid not playing, with a chance to leave in 3 years.

Suns got 5 highly talented kids last year (all look best 22 in near future). This year Lombard, next year Uwland + possibly 2-3 more academy kids.

I personally, would prefer to sell pick 7 for overs like last year with pick 4.

Pay overs for Rioli with pick 13 plus whatever (it could be e.g. late first from pick 7 deal, pick 20/26).
What about pick 6-7 for Pies future 1st, Noble and something else. Just spitballing at this stage so I have no idea if that's doable.

Oh please! North was always taking JHF at 1.

The following year we did a live trade with Brisbane before pick 1 then 'magically' bid on Ashcroft at 2.

So Collingwood just decided to give a sweet deal with picks to north for no reason… I’ve got some magic beans to sell you.

As reported in The Age:

“Richmond . . . will demand more compensation than merely pick six for Rioli, who is favoured to win the Jack Dyer Medal this season.”

Jointly authored article:
Marc McGowan
Peter Ryan
Michael Gleeson
Jake Niall

Are you for real?
So because the Suns want Rioli and Lombard but don't have the draft picks to get both your saying the Tigers should just accept pick 20:moustache:

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back