Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers trades team before the deadline
View attachment 2139564
And after View attachment 2139567
Gold Coast in an AFL Final…

Episode 5 Wind GIF by The Simpsons

Pick 6 to the tigers will happen just a matter of who folds first and will obviously be a last minute deal for theatrical purposes lol, we have to pay overs due to Rioli's contract which is fair enough but it's the tigers asking for 6+13 first then 6+23 that's ridiculous, it almost tops Collingwood asking Humphries for Noble.
Of course we’re making stupid demands.

You blokes have tapped up a player we don’t want to lose.

You’d be irresponsible if you didn’t ask for the earth when you don’t want to actually lose him.

Some funny comments here. I enjoyed it.

For me, it will be interesting to see how long the standoff will go on. Everybody knows that pick 6 is fantastic overs and Tigers would not leave it on the table. Do they want to drag it to the last hour and look greedy for a chance Suns will add something? They certainly have a right to do it. Asking originally for 6 + 13, Tigers looked a bit like Leppitsch now.

As for Suns. They do operate in different environment, conditions especially in the last 5 years with enormous picks and free pre-listing concessions (basically equivalent of 10 1st/2nd round picks). Most people ignore it in their narratives and basically concluding Suns are idiots. Interestingly, most these people worked with other clubs, including Vic clubs like Evans, Campbell, Cameron, Dimma.

As for concessions, Suns got way too many picks. Even Suns said that. There is limit to how many top talents you can bring in without cap bursting and limiting playing opportunities. Basically, a vicious cycle, with some top young players ultimately leaving for the benefits of other clubs.

Another aspect recently is that academy finally started producing after barren 12 years (after increase in financing). If I remember correctly, there is crazy number of kids involved in academy from 12 years old onwards. Something like 800 kids per year. Ultimately competition will benefit from it (likely next year there will be some overflow already).

Tigers rejoice this year about potentially 5 first round picks and rightly so. Guess what, Suns drafted 4 academy first round picks last year plus I would add also Clohesy. All look like a real deal and best 22 in not-too-distant future. And that is while Suns are not going through proper re-build like Tigers and are aiming for finals.

So yes, some Suns decisions look crazy from outside and some turned out bad one (like Eagles trade), but context is important. Only Suns are/were in this unique situation. Too many picks, list loaded with talent, retention pressure on cap. I say, using pick 7 and a role player Bowes (not in Suns best 22) on salary dump to relieve cap pressure, why not? Obviously, no other team would do it, but other teams do operate in completely different environment, every pick is precious for them. Look at Suns list. Would Clark play if Suns drafted him? It would be another wasted pick like Hollands.

This year, using pick 6 on a contracted mature player while still bringing one top talent (Lombard) and ending up with probably 3 F1 next year (with another min 2 academy kids in 1st round)? Yes, please. Suns need to play finals. Rioli and Noble should help. They are under contract, so Suns have to pay overs (crazy to some people). Suns will get overs for pick 13 similar to last year for pick 4. Bloody hell, last year by milking the system, Suns converted pick 4 to I believe 6 first round picks (if I remember correctly).

Suns are expansion team still needing financial assistance, like it or not (like a lot of teams in AFL). Suns operated until now in different environment compared to rest of competition.

I believe, if Suns finally play finals they will be in a good spot regarding retention, destination place similar to Lions. Also, by playing finals teams will not be able to ask for pick 6. Talking about Cats. Here is pick 17 for Smith, we got nothing else.

Believe it or not footy is growing in QLD and especially on Gold Coast, SE. It's a smart investment from AFL. I actually blame AFL for most Suns issues. They do run Suns. Forcing Suns to stay first 8 years in metal sheds under first time admin, coach while constantly underfunded was a shocking incompetence. I could go on.

Despite not playing finals, Suns had 4 sold out games this year with great atmosphere. A lot of young people. Compare that to GWS who are a top team.

Now it's up to Dimma. Just do your job.

Looking good Suns :p

Last edited:

For me, it will be interesting to see how long the standoff will go. Everybody knows that pick 6 is fantastic overs and Tigers would not leave it on the table. Do they want to drag it to the last hour and look greedy for a chance Suns will add something? They certainly have a right to do it. Asking originally for 6 + 13, Tigers looked a bit like Leppitsch now.

As for Suns. They do operate in different environment, conditions especially in the last 5 years with enormous picks and free pre-listing concessions (basically equivalent of 10 1st/2nd round picks). Most people ignore it in their narratives and basically concluding Suns are idiots. Interestingly, most these people worked with other clubs, including Vic clubs like Evans, Campbell, Cameron, Dimma.

As for concessions, Suns got way too many picks. Even Suns said that. There is limit to how many top talents you can bring in without cap bursting and limiting playing opportunities. Basically, a vicious cycle, with some top young players ultimately leaving for the benefits of other clubs.

Another aspect recently is that academy finally started producing after barren 12 years (after increase in financing). If I remember correctly, there is crazy number of kids involved in academy from 12 years old onwards. Something like 800 kids per year. Ultimately competition will benefit from it (likely next year there will be some overflow already).

Tigers rejoice this year about potentially 5 first round picks and rightly so. Guess what, Suns drafted 4 academy first round picks last year plus I would add also Clohesy. All look like a real deal and best 22 in not-too-distant future. And that is while Suns are not going through proper re-build like Tigers and are aiming for finals.

So yes, some Suns decisions look crazy from outside and some turned out bad one (like Eagles trade), but context is important. Only Suns are/were in this unique situation. Too many picks, list loaded with talent, retention pressure on cap. I say, using pick 7 and a role player Bowes (not in Suns best 22) on salary dump to relieve cap pressure, why not? Obviously, no other team would do it, but other teams do operate in completely different environment, every pick is precious for them. Look at Suns list. Would Clark play if Suns drafted him? It would be another wasted pick like Hollands.

This year, using pick 6 on a contracted mature player while still bringing one top talent (Lombard) and ending up with probably 3 F1 next year (with another min 2 academy kids in 1st round)? Yes, please. Suns need to play finals. Rioli and Noble should help. They are under contract, so Suns have to pay overs (crazy to some people). Suns will get overs for pick 13 similar to last year for pick 4. Bloody hell, last year by milking the system, Suns converted pick 4 to I believe 6 first round picks (if I remember correctly).

Suns are expansion team still needing financial assistance, like it or not (like a lot of teams in AFL). Suns operated until now in different environment compared to rest of competition.

I believe, if Suns finally play finals they will be in a good spot regarding retention, destination place similar to Lions. Also, by playing finals teams will not be able to ask for pick 6. Talking about Cats. Here is pick 17 for Smith, we got nothing else.

Believe it or not footy is growing in QLD and especially on Gold Coast, SE. It's a smart investment from AFL. I actually blame AFL for most Suns issues. They do run Suns. Forcing Suns to stay first 8 years in metal sheds under first time admin, coach while constantly underfunded was a shocking incompetence. I could go on.

Despite not playing finals, Suns had 4 sold out games with great atmosphere. Compare that to GWS who are a top team.

Dont worry about ever one else they are just delouse
Sun getting their man and points for next years kids is all that matters

Monday is Happy Rioli day

Non Richmond clowns on BF: “pick 6 is overs for Rioli”

No shit……

Keep saying it as if it changes or adds to your argument.

Everbody knows its overs.

Not everybody, it seems, can get their head around the fact that a rival club has induced him to break a contract. And therefore, are you sitting down everybody? Therefore, you have to, wait for it, PAY OVERS to get him.

This has been my TED talk

Or they can just walk away and you can keep him for next year.

No shit……

Not everybody, it seems, can get their head around the fact that a rival club has induced him to break a contract. And therefore, are you sitting down everybody? Therefore, you have to, wait for it, PAY OVERS to get him.

Would love that. Tiges preference was never to lose him.

Graham was told to look, offer from us improved only after other departures looked imminent.
Baker the club knew it was happening long way out.
Bolton has family circumstances the club is aware of and are supportive of efforts to assist.

Were never planning on a Rioli departure so if he stays, you beauty.

Would love that. Tiges preference was never to lose him.

Graham was told to look, offer from us improved only after other departures looked imminent.
Baker the club knew it was happening long way out.
Bolton has family circumstances the club is aware of and are supportive of efforts to assist.

Were never planning on a Rioli departure so if he stays, you beauty.
If you can get pick 6 for Rioli, you take it and run. Way better for your re-build than keeping a player who wanted to leave. Especially when tough times and Devils are coming.

Cash in while you can. Looking from outside (without Tigers fans optimism) it could turn ugly for you. Your list after departure of 5 players looks bleak. Your list manager better to get selections right.

For me, it will be interesting to see how long the standoff will go on. Everybody knows that pick 6 is fantastic overs and Tigers would not leave it on the table. Do they want to drag it to the last hour and look greedy for a chance Suns will add something? They certainly have a right to do it. Asking originally for 6 + 13, Tigers looked a bit like Leppitsch now.

Despite not playing finals, Suns had 4 sold out games with great atmosphere. Compare that to GWS who are a top team.

The suns have set themselves up nicely.
But if Dimma can’t squeeze a flag out of this group with all the talent they have over the next four years they should just shut up shop.

No shit……

Imagine if we said to Carlton, here’s pick6 and 10 for Cripps.
“Contracted”? So what this is what we think he’s worth so sign.
Or for Heeney or Petracca or well swap Rioli for Rowell and pick 20 or whoever. It’s all “overs” until it’s their own player. Then it becomes different all of a sudden.
Pick 6 will probably become pick 8 or 9 after Ashcroft, Lombard maybe Kako bids. So don’t get too wrapped in the number it is now pick 13 might pick 16-18. D
Does that sound more palatable picks 9 and 18? In other supporters eyes, of course. We should just take pick 23 or 29 and be grateful they decided to even give us a pick ;)

Last edited:
The suns have set themselves up nicely.
But if Dimma can’t squeeze a flag out of this group with all the talent they have over the next four years they should just shut up shop.
Man, what is this shutting up a shop. Expansion into QLD does its job regardless Suns play finals or not. AFL benefits from it.

It's not like AFL does not spend a lot of money on other teams too.

Competition is so even; a flag is no guarantee for any team. Realistically, 15 teams could play finals. I would be happy with finals for a start.

Can Dimma do it? I am far from convinced so far. He looks definitely all in, but some selections were puzzling for me. 2nd year should tell us more. But for me his first year was disappointing. To his defence, he went with kids, tried players in different roles while implementing his system.

Everybody understands why they do what they do, but its the fact they have the ability to do it while not losing anything from a draft perspective which annoys people.
Offering ridiculous overs for players upsets the balance of the competition, its basically getting Richmond free agent type compensation for a non free agent, which already annoys people with how overs the FA compo generally is.

If you can get pick 6 for Rioli, you take it and run. Way better for your re-build than keeping a player who wanted to leave. Especially when tough times and Devils are coming.

Cash in while you can. Looking from outside (without Tigers fans optimism) it could turn ugly for you. Your list after departure of 5 players looks bleak. Your list manager better to get selections right.

The Tigers situation is not as bad as all the drama queens are making out. We were smashed with injuries all year and had a first year coach that was behind the 8 ball from the start. The players we are losing through moving to other clubs or retirement dosen't paint the full picture and it's not all doom and gloom.

Retirements:

Dusty was never the same after his Dad passed away and he had the terrible injury.
Grimes hardly played this year.
Naismith was depth.
Pickett was at the end.

Players getting traded and moving on:

Graham was our slowest mid for years and although will be missed was taking up a spot for a kid.
Bolton is a gun and will be missed but he has many floors and can be replaced.
Baker is a great little role player but not that hard to replace.
Rioli has been a shining light down back after a few poor years as a forward but HBF's can be replaced by a kid.

Apart from the injuries our structure down forward has been non existent for 2 years with Lynch hardly playing.
If he can get back to some sort of form in 2025 it will make a huge difference to our team.

Our best team even without any Rookies traded isn't that bad.

B: Balta Miller Vlastuin

HB: Broad Gibcus Short

C: Ralphsmith Taranto Ross

HF: Mansell Lefau Campbell

F: Bauer Lynch MRJ

FOL: Nankervis Prestia Hopper

INT: Gibcus Banks McIntosh Coultard

Plus I have left out a few of our other young players.

Dow
Clarke
Fawcett
Green
McAuliffe
Sonsie
Young
Trezise
Smith
Ryan
Kosi

Add in 5-6 First round players in this draft and we have a decent foundation for the rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Tigers situation is not as bad as all the drama queens are making out. We were smashed with injuries all year and had a first year coach that was behind the 8 ball from the start. The players we are losing through moving to other clubs or retirement dosen't paint the full picture and it's not all doom and gloom.

Retirements:

Dusty was never the same after his Dad passed away and he had the terrible injury.
Grimes hardly played this year.
Naismith was depth.
Pickett was at the end.

Players getting traded and moving on:

Graham was our slowest mid for years and although will be missed was taking up a spot for a kid.
Bolton is a gun and will be missed but he has many floors and can be replaced.
Baker is a great little role player but not that hard to replace.
Rioli has been a shining light down back after a few poor years as a forward but HBF's can be replaced by a kid.

Apart from the injuries our structure down forward has been non existent for 2 years with Lynch hardly playing.
If he can get back to some sort of form in 2025 it will make a huge difference to our team.

Our best team even without any Rookies traded isn't that bad.

B: Balta Miller Vlastuin

HB: Broad Gibcus Short

C: Ralphsmith Taranto Ross

HF: Mansell Lefau Campbell

F: Bauer Lynch MRJ

FOL: Nankervis Prestia Hopper

INT: Gibcus Banks McIntosh Coultard

Plus I have left out a few of our other young players.

Dow
Clarke
Fawcett
Green
McAuliffe
Sonsie
Young
Trezise
Smith
Ryan
Kosi

Add in 5-6 First round players in this draft and we have a decent foundation for the rebuild.
Probably post for another thread - 'Richmond'. I appreciate the effort. I hope you are correct. I did look at your list. I value it differently but will not go into it in this thread.

Everybody understands why they do what they do, but its the fact they have the ability to do it while not losing anything from a draft perspective which annoys people.
Offering ridiculous overs for players upsets the balance of the competition, its basically getting Richmond free agent type compensation for a non free agent, which already annoys people with how overs the FA compo generally is.
Actually, not many people understand context, why 'they do what they do'. Most people conclude Suns are stupid and should be closed :p

Balance of competition. I am sure you are aware that there is min dozen of issues which upset the balance. Reality is that Suns are expansion team who still needs assistance.

If AFL was really serious about assisting Suns 5 years ago to make finals, they would give them extra money to overpay and attract a couple of mature stars. Instead, AFL gave them too many picks (some of them ultimately filter into other teams).

Actually, not many people understand context, why 'they do what they do'. Most people conclude Suns are stupid and should be closed :p

Balance of competition. I am sure you are aware that there is min dozen of issues which upset the balance. Reality is that Suns are expansion team who still needs assistance.

If AFL was really serious about assisting Suns 5 years ago to make finals, they would give them extra money to overpay and attract a couple of mature stars. Instead, AFL gave them too many picks.
I think the ability to get 4+ academy kids in a single year upsets the balance more than most other things, they havent had a chance to take full benefit yet as the academy kids are still mostly quite young. In a few years they really should be dominating the comp and GC should win multiple premierships.

Agree the AFL shouldve given incentive to get mature players rather than extra picks, but I guess GC have both now with how over the top the academies have gotten, freeing up so much draft capital.

Should be toned down ASAP tbh, the access to kids I mean. I dont mean removed, just reduced.

I think the ability to get 4+ academy kids in a single year upsets the balance more than most other things, they havent had a chance to take full benefit yet as the academy kids are still mostly quite young. In a few years they really should be dominating the comp and GC should win multiple premierships.

Agree the AFL shouldve given incentive to get mature players rather than extra picks, but I guess GC have both now with how over the top the academies have gotten, freeing up so much draft capital.

Should be toned down ASAP tbh, the access to kids I mean. I dont mean removed, just reduced.
Because of 4 academy kids last year, AFL made finally changes to bidding which I agree with. Suns still did not play finals, so I don't think it was a disaster for competition Suns getting 4 academy kids.

BTW, if Suns play finals max 2 bids are allowed in round 1 for academy kids. I would have introduced no bid allowed for top 4 teams in round 1 (like e.g. Lions this year) and this should include also F/S (combine with academy). Not going to happen.

Because of 4 academy kids last year, AFL made finally changes to bidding which I agree with. Suns did not play finals, so I don't think it was a disaster getting 4 academy kids.

BTW, if Suns play finals max 2 bids allowed in round 1 for academy kids. I would have introduced no bid allowed for top 4 teams in round 1 (like e.g. Lions this year) and this should include also F/S (combine with academy). Not going to happen.
2 bids if you are top 8 even is crazy for a potential dynasty team with the amount of talent you have access to. Basically every decent QLD kid gets drafted in QLD for cents on the dollar, same with NSW. Thats absolutely ridiculous

Until they fix the points system properly itll never be fixed, the new system they devised is still crap imo.
Later picks are still worth too much(from the new system), but im ok with giving it a year or 2 with every club now having NGA access to see how it pans out. More clubs wanting those later shit picks, and less points on those late picks should make it interesting

2 bids if you are top 8 even is crazy for a potential dynasty team with the amount of talent you have access to. Basically every decent QLD kid gets drafted in QLD for cents on the dollar, same with NSW. Thats absolutely ridiculous

Until they fix the points system properly itll never be fixed, the new system they devised is still crap imo.
Later picks are still worth too much(from the new system), but im ok with giving it a year or 2 with every club now having NGA access to see how it pans out. More clubs wanting those later shit picks, and less points on those late picks should make it interesting
Not 'for cents of dollars' next year. It's much better system next year. Big drop off late. How close to fair, not sure.

I definitely think that top 4 should have no right to match bid, 5-8 max 1. NGA is absolute joke unless they change eligibility. The whole competition is compromised everywhere. You could have academies run by AFL, expand them to WA, SA, etc.

Last edited:
Man, what is this shutting up a shop. Expansion into QLD does its job regardless Suns play finals or not. AFL benefits from it.

It's not like AFL does not spend a lot of money on other teams too.

Competition is so even; a flag is no guarantee for any team. Realistically, 15 teams could play finals. I would be happy with finals for a start.

Can Dimma do it? I am far from convinced so far. He looks definitely all in, but some selections were puzzling for me. 2nd year should tell us more. But for me his first year was disappointing. To his defence, he went with kids, tried players in different roles while implementing his system.
I’m not sure they have made finals in their existence?
Could be wrong on that, but there’s a real sense of irrelevancy with the club.

It’s now jacked with talent and has the coach to bring it all together.

Head scratching selection concerns should be the least of your worries. He found role players and favourites that had Richmond supporters scratching their heads too.

Dimmas primary focus is to create a sense of culture and connection to a club that for its entire existence has been seen as a feeder club for others. His speech at the best and fairest was pretty direct. He won’t stand for players that aren’t 100% committed to giving the club ultimate success.

But if Dimma can’t do it, the club will flounder for a long time. Sydney eventually drove a culture ant the turn of the century after experiencing the same thing.

I’m not sure they have made finals in their existence?
Could be wrong on that, but there’s a real sense of irrelevancy with the club.

It’s now jacked with talent and has the coach to bring it all together.

Head scratching selection concerns should be the least of your worries. He found role players and favourites that had Richmond supporters scratching their heads too.

Dimmas primary focus is to create a sense of culture and connection to a club that for its entire existence has been seen as a feeder club for others. His speech at the best and fairest was pretty direct. He won’t stand for players that aren’t 100% committed to giving the club ultimate success.

But if Dimma can’t do it, the club will flounder for a long time. Sydney eventually drove a culture ant the turn of the century after experiencing the same thing.
It's such a bloody even competition. Most teams improve. And you need some luck.

Personally, I think it's more mental than anything. Once they break through Suns should be fine. But I suspect it has to happen in next 2 years. Players will not stay forever without success.

Dew did a great job with culture but could not take a next step. Suns actually did not lose anyone they wanted to keep i the last 5 years except Rankine. Pretty remarkable considering no success.

I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the hold up in this deal as being due to an impasse between the two clubs.

The way Craig Cameron spoke on Friday leads me to think that it's more likely because Richmond have asked for 6 and something else and GC doesn't know what else they will have available until some other deals get done.

Not 'for cents of dollars' next year. It's much better system next year. Big drop off late. How close to fair, not sure.
Matching a pick 10 bid with 3 picks 31+32+33 still counts as cents on the dollar :sweatsmile:
I definitely think that top 4 should have no right to match bid, 5-8 max 1. NGA is absolute joke unless they change eligibility. The whole competition is compromised everywhere. You could have academies run by AFL, expand them to WA, SA, etc.
All academies should be AFL run, with no priority access at all, or maybe 1 kid per year outside the top 20 at the most

I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the hold up in this deal as being due to an impasse between the two clubs.

The way Craig Cameron spoke on Friday leads me to think that it's more likely because Richmond have asked for 6 and something else and GC doesn't know what else they will have available until some other deals get done.
I think GC know pick 6 is ridiculous overs, and thought Richmond wouldve taken it by now

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back