Darren Jolly Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Collingwood makes Darren Jolly offer

Is anyone keen to deal with the hawks, seems clubs are pissed with their recruiting strategies.

They have committed to Burgoyne so that helps.

If it's true the Power would accept 9 and Dowler, then what are they waiting for.

The issue is that for Hawthorn to make that offer, they'd need to give up on Burgoyne, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to do that before the second day of trade week, which means that we have at least a whole day to ourselves to get Sydney to complete the deal with us before Hawthorn are even free to make a proper offer.

That would suit us but I think Sydney would be just as willing to sit tight and see if Hawthorn come through with a better offer.

If they use pick 9 on Jolly then there is no way Port will trade them Burgoyne unless they offered up 2 players like Lewis and Schoenmakers or something along those lines. So IMO its one or the other for the Hawks, keeping in mind they're also looking at Gibson. Sure they would have some room in the cap but if they bring in Burgoyne, Jolly and Gibson theres more than $1 million a year in the cap and theres no way they have that much room. Plus they havent really lost anyone of note (yet) depending on if Leiw is part of a trade. Add to this the fact that Buddy and Roughy and the like are only going to be given bigger contracts and I cant see them being able to bring in all 3 of those players. Burgoyne very well may get through to Essendon if the Hawks go after Jolly

Thats assuming the Burgoyne deal goes through. Given what Port are reported to be asking for there seems a chance it will fall through. If that happens and Hawthorn offer 9 and Kennedy to Sydney for Jolly would we be willing to trump that??

If Dawes fetched pick 18 we would have to take that, particularly if that is going to be on-traded for Fev.

Now, what a coup it would be to get Jolly and Fev but I would like to hold onto the Caff. He has really developed his all round game over the last 12 months and his time to shine in the seniors will come. He is very much our long term replacement for Medders IMO.

However, I guess somethings got to give to do a deal.

I'd just like to hold onto him.

We also need to stay at the very minimum in the 2nd round of this draft.

Just my thoughts.

We also need to stay at the very minimum in the 2nd round of this draft.

I would also be shocked if, after trade week, we did not have at least 1 pick in the 1st 2 rounds.

Taking 3 underage kids of the 4 we drafted last year though wouldn't leave us overly exposed for the future.

would you guys really want to give up any more than pick 14 for jolly, i wouldnt, id cough up a 3rd round pick or a shit player on top of pick 14 but thats about it, wood improved this year and we invested fairly heavily to get him, if we can get jolly for pick 14 and not much else i say fine, but if we have to offer a good kid as well i say no way, its no secret MM doesnt really rate ruckmen, so i cant him offering up too much.

Nothing more than pick 14 for me.

That's a pretty attractive offer for a ruckman who is turning 28 in a month.

At the same age last year Sydney wanted a 1st round pick for ROK.

IMO, if Jolly is traded, no deal will be finalised until the Swans secure Seaby.

Hey guys would this be a realistic sort of trade

14 + dawes + 30 for jolly and 38, and then we can ontrade 30 for seaby

so this way you also help us in getting seaby aswell, but only go down a few places

so we get our man and you get yours
i really cant see dawes being put on the table for jolly, maybe for fev though.

so this way you also help us in getting seaby aswell, but only go down a few places

I couldn't see this happening, Jolly is good but he is 28, a first round draft pick i would have thought would have been ample, It gives everyone what that want.

Collingwood gets a ruckman for 3-4 years
Sydney gets a first round selection in an uncompromised draft
and Jolly gets his request to return to Melbourne

I'd perhaps throw Ryan Cook in as well as steak knives...

For Jolly I'd give the Swans 14 + Danny Stanly. While Stanly hasnt had much opportunity at the Pies he has been dominant in the VFL for quite some time now. Also his style of play is suited perfectly to the Swans as he is a good in and under player. No doubt he is not a star by any stretch of the imagination but if he was given a consistent chance, much like what happened with Rhyce Shaw this year, then he should be able to slot into the Swans side.

So that means the Swans get a first round pick plus a player who will give them added midfield depth

We get the ruckman we want as well as orchestrating a fresh start for one of our players.

The only other sweetner that could be added to that trade is say our 4th round pick but no more. If Jolly was 2 years younger itd be a much different story, but realistically he probably has 3 more seasons in him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as good as jolly is i wouldnt mind if we went for blake for a second round pick, i know he's no jolly but he is younger and he's more advanced than wood, could be a good compromise if sydney over value jolly, we could then chase WCs no 7 pick for pick 14 and a player, could land us butcher in turn perhaps, as for fev, i doubt wether anyone else is going to chase him thats hard, i reckon offer dawes and our 3rd round pick (and maybe another player as a last resort).

Cheers for the link.

Fwiw, there's nothing statistically meaningful there. The distribution is far too varied to draw any conclusion.

I do think it's interesting though, and I might have time later in the week to do a proper analysis of "premiership windows"/"rate of rebuilding"

While Collingwood have reportedly offered their first round draft pick (No.14), Roos indicated a late first-round pick was well below their expectations.
"Given what we got him for, we gave pick 15 and he's a far better player now, so that gives you an idea of what we'd be expecting," Roos said.
Roos said there were many clubs interested, but with Jolly contracted for two more years and the Swans' back-up ruck stocks thin, they will not deal lightly.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/6141986/no-easy-trades-for-afl-stars/

Looks like could be expensive to land a slow lumbering ruckman with 2 years left

While Collingwood have reportedly offered their first round draft pick (No.14), Roos indicated a late first-round pick was well below their expectations.
"Given what we got him for, we gave pick 15 and he's a far better player now, so that gives you an idea of what we'd be expecting," Roos said.
Roos said there were many clubs interested, but with Jolly contracted for two more years and the Swans' back-up ruck stocks thin, they will not deal lightly.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/6141986/no-easy-trades-for-afl-stars/

Looks like could be expensive to land a slow lumbering ruckman with 2 years left

maybe we should have gone for warnock this time last year? then we could have landed a slow lumbering overrated ruckman with 10 years left

What Roos, and others who tow this line, are missing is that Jolly is also a far older player.

It's simple really. If Sydney don't want to deal with us, we just out bid them for Seaby who they're so keen on.

I'd be gutted if Macaffer left. Real talent.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has considered the Caff as an in and under mid. He has the buld for it.

Does anyone know what the Caff is like getting ground balls? I know he played fairly well in the Adelaide final but dont remember much about his game.

on the swans board it looks like a few of hawthorn's bigfooty members are willing to offer 9 + kennedy or mcglynn, which easily trumps your offer...
fyp.

We've got a long standing trading relationship with Sydney. I wouldnt be surprised if our clubs and West Coast end up sharing a series of trades.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has considered the Caff as an in and under mid. He has the buld for it.

Does anyone know what the Caff is like getting ground balls? I know he played fairly well in the Adelaide final but dont remember much about his game.

You're certainly not the only one. I'm not all that sure on ground-level skill, but his hands in close, strength and tackling skill are all superb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Darren Jolly Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back