Oppo Camp David Swallow staying North until at least the end of 2024, AFTER WHICH he becomes (?) a NMFC player

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: David Swallow to North - Official Thread 2013

Talks also happened between Melbourne and Scully last year how did that turn out?

But that's Melbourne :p Seriously...

At least theres a few more quotes to discuss and spectate/speculate in this thread :D
"David is contracted and he is extremely happy on the Gold Coast"

but that's melbourne :p seriously...

At least theres a few more quotes to discuss and spectate/speculate in this thread :d

david is contracted at the moment and he is extremely happy holidaying on the gold coast

efa ;)

But that's Melbourne :p Seriously...

At least theres a few more quotes to discuss and spectate/speculate in this thread :D

Its an example.

Given your clubs premiership culture and long history of being able to retain players I am sure that it is a no brainer, I mean its not like it was published that Gablett Jnr was happy at Geelong right up until he wasn't and left and joined Jims Mowing.

Edit - Is no brainer a term for those who live on the Gold Coast?

It's hard to know how it will pan out, and certainly there hasn't been too many top players leave the club that first drafted them, but IMO the biggest factor overlooked by many, outside of having a brother captaining another club, is where an elite footballer would see the best place to spend his relatively short footy career.

If you live and breath basketball, you have to go to US. If you live and breath Ice Hockey, you'd want to be in Canada (even more so than US), if you live and breath soccer, Europe is the place to be. If it's AFL footy, it's gotta be Melbourne.

I love Gold Coast personally, and see no better place to have as a second home, or take the family on a holiday. Broadbeach in particular is a great place IMO. But I just don't see an elite footballer being excited about spending their entire career up there. If you want to immerse yourself into the traditional footy culture, there is only one place you've got to go to.

And if you're having any doubts about this, having a brother as a captain of another club is perhaps another factor that could eventually influence the decision.

It's hard to know how it will pan out, and certainly there hasn't been too many top players leave the club that first drafted them, but IMO the biggest factor overlooked by many, outside of having a brother captaining another club, is where an elite footballer would see the best place to spend his relatively short footy career.

If you live and breath basketball, you have to go to US. If you live and breath Ice Hockey, you'd want to be in Canada (even more so than US), if you live and breath soccer, Europe is the place to be. If it's AFL footy, it's gotta be Melbourne.

I love Gold Coast personally, and see no better place to have as a second home, or take the family on a holiday. Broadbeach in particular is a great place IMO. But I just don't see an elite footballer being excited about spending their entire career up there. If you want to immerse yourself into the traditional footy culture, there is only one place you've got to go to.

And if you're having any doubts about this, having a brother as a captain of another club is perhaps another factor that could eventually influence the decision.

EH you have to understand the West Aussie culture and the love of the sun, sand and surf. Footy and the beach go hand in hand. David gets both on the GC and the only thing that will pull him to Melbourne is Andrew.

Re: He's coming

gws need to be involved in a 3 way deal for us to get him.

I can think of two better targets for a three way. :stern look

In all seriousness, it would be nice if we could snag him but realistically it isn't going to happen. We wont get within a barge pole of a top end pick so we are going to have to offer someone good for trade plus cough up picks.

Unless someone wants to go it will be hard for us to push someone out the door, we aren't that type of club.

Okay, it looks like a good time for another lesson in how to dissect spin.

GOLD Coast authorities have moved to shore up their planned drive up the AFL premiership table with a new contract offer to young gun David Swallow.

Yes, they actually "moved" on this some time back.

Swallow, still just 19, is already locked on a contract until the end of 2013, but Suns officials want the brilliant midfielder in their long term plans for success and locked away on a lengthy deal.

No kidding?

Swallow’s manager Colin Young confirmed discussions had openedwith Suns list manager Scott Clayton.

Young met Clayton in Melbourne with Swallow’s extended future with the Suns on their agenda.

Clayton dropped in for a coffee and a chat. Amazing stuff.

Swallow played 21 of Gold Coast’s 22 first season games last year collecting more than 400 possessions at an impressive average of 20 an outing.

The brilliant first-year star finished fourth in Suns fairest-and-best voting behind established stars Gary Ablett, who won the award, Nathan Bock and Michael Rischitelli.

Irrelevant psychological association tactic.

Prospects of the emerging play-making sensation extending his stay on the Gold Coast escalated profoundly when his older brother Andrew Swallow was named North Melbourne captain this year.

It had always remained a prospect that their home state-based AFL clubs West Coast and Fremantle could mount ambitious recruiting bids to win the pair back to Western Australia as an attractive double act at the end of contracts with their current outfits.

Did you all see what he did there? The brothers have openly commented on playing together, Andrew has been promoted to captaincy and then went on to adduce a connection that a uniting of the brothers could only happen in Western Australia! Hilariously bad spin.

Young disclosed that negotiations for Swallow’s possible Suns extension will be delicate, but could not define how close he is to a new deal.

"Will be?"

This is future tense!

"Delicate?"

This would hardly fill me with enthusiasm if I were a Suns fan.

“I have met with Scotty Clayton and we are discussing an extended contract for David,” Young confirmed.

They are discussing THE OPTION of an extended contract. Not THE TERMS of an extended contract.

“It is really difficult to actually put a time line on how these talks will go.

Stalling tactic 101a.

“I am in Melbourne for a series of discussions with all clubs on my players that are coming out of contract.

So this isn't any special event.

“David’s case is different because he is in contract until the end of next year.

It's not different at all if he is really committed to extending.

“What I can say is that I have opened discussions with the Suns and it all could take a few weeks or months.

“There is no real hurry because David is contracted and he is extremely happy up on the Gold Coast.”

Stalling tactics 101b and 101c.

Virtually moments after the brilliant Swallow was taken as the nation’s prized first selection at the 2010 history-making draft held on the Gold Coast, he signed a third-year extension with the Suns after negotiations by his manager.

Under AFL draft regulations new players spend their first two seasons in the league on standard first and second year contracts.

Any extensions beyond the compulsory initial two-season deals are negotiated between a player’s club and his agent.

He extended his intitial contract to get better coin for his 1st and 2nd years. Smart move.

This article is drivel. It is a fluff piece directed at manipulating David.

That article is supposed to set the GCS fans at ease. In reality, I think it has achieved the opposite. It isn't difficult to read between the lines like Teffy has done there, they are super scared about losing him. The article confirms that.

Get worried Suns fans, get worried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Suns appear to be behaving like complete arseholes by pressuring a young man in this way. It's really crass behaviour. I sure hope I never see North resort to this kind of thing.

Na OS, you got it wrong. Let them crass it up all they like. It's exactly the sort of thing that will piss him off even more. It plays into our hands. Was it somewhere on here, can't remember, but I heard he was pissed off about the "one club player" line in one of those fluff pieces you speak of. They're putting words in his mouth and he don't like it.

North have handled Swallows, Goldie's and now Basti's talks in stark contrast. Brad backs his culture in, and has a with us or against us mentality. Suns are desperate and it shows.

If we had the picks it would be a done deal IMO. The only stumbling block is getting the chips to pull up a chair, the intent is there from the bits and lices I've heard.

I know FOR A FACT that people that matter are discussing this. It has not been ruled out, or put in the too hard basket, whether it ends up there is another story, but for now, I'm clinging onto hope and also praying for a miracle.

Who knows what the future holds but for my money I see him as the next captain of the GCFC. 2 more years left on the current contract so I guess the deciding factor will be just how much we improve over those 2 years.

Best of luck in Season 2012 Rooboys and girls

Dave Swallow extends until the end of 2014

****!:thumbsdown:

Re: Dave Swallow extends until the end of 2014

Not all bad .... Means we won't paint ourselves into a corner in regards to the duke

Re: Dave Swallow extends until the end of 2014

I was more interested to hear him say he did think about leaving. I always thought it was just a bigfooty pipe dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back