Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that article is legit, ie if Collingwood are REALLY asking for Pick 4 + one of Rockliff, Hanley, Aish... then sorry guys but you're on James Hird levels of delusion. My suspicion is that the journalist is getting his info from his own speculation only, and possibly bigfooty.
No more delusional then the lions saying pick 4 is a fair deal. At the moment both clubs are leaking deals to the media which are one sided and unrealistic. Eventually a fair deal will be made, but cmon now some of the crap out of your club has been just as delusional as that deal suggested in that article.

I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't attend the Copeland but I'm certainly not outraged like some here. I wouldn't mind even speculating that the club asked him to consider his position before attending. Let's face it, it would be a fairly uncomfortable atmosphere for him and I don't blame him for electing not to be a sideshow on the night.

As far as the statement from Collingwood about negotiations with Brisbane goes I see very little new there. It's just a commonsense approach to the trade period because as much as some people seem to think it's all about what we can get for Dayne Beams, it would be idiotic to allow another team to play brinkmanship and derail our whole trading strategy. There are other things that have to be done in the trade period and if we allow the Beams situation to dominate the entire trade period our strategies go straight out the window and some of our targets will be missed. The club is not so stupid that it will let that happen. From where I sit, nothing much has changed except that the club has done its due diligence in protecting its overall trade strategy.

If that article is legit, ie if Collingwood are REALLY asking for Pick 4 + one of Rockliff, Hanley, Aish... then sorry guys but you're on James Hird levels of delusion. My suspicion is that the journalist is getting his info from his own speculation only, and possibly bigfooty.
It's nothing different to what Brisbane are saying about only pick 4. It's a start point to commence negotiations. Both clubs know they will have to meet somewhere in between. I wouldn't read anything more into it than that.

What the deadline also says is that - assuming a deal is done - whatever the final deal you know pick 4 is part of it, and want time to try to use that in subsequent trades, ie ready made player type trades. No problem with that either, very sensible. If the clubs can't get a trade done within two weeks they should be ashamed anyway.

. No problem with that either, very sensible. If the clubs can't get a trade done within two weeks they should be ashamed anyway.
Of course. But the egos involved at times very much get in the way. (Not necesarily C'Wood and Bris). Just generally speaking. Nobody wants to come out looking like a loser. Why the old week wasn't enough is beyond me. Half of these trades are pre-organised anyway

What the deadline also says is that - assuming a deal is done - whatever the final deal you know pick 4 is part of it, and want time to try to use that in subsequent trades, ie ready made player type trades. No problem with that either, very sensible. If the clubs can't get a trade done within two weeks they should be ashamed anyway.
Taking time out of your holiday to visit us and discuss deadlines!

There are two lots of people who I feel really sad for after last night's events - the blind sheep that envisage themselves as the hounds protecting the Club's honour by attacking all and sundry that dare to suggest things aren't all that rosy and Beamsy's team mates who deserved better from him.

PB, dare I say its not as black and white as that. Those of us who accept the club's position, as presented via public announcements, are not 'blind sheep'. Its just that we dont go looking for more sinister explanations of why things go awry.

Saying that, I like many on here am extremely disappointed in Beams not being at the Copeland last night. If there is not a legitimate excuse offered - and I havent heard one - then it is really poor form. If that was Beams' call, then he was mightily shown up by the likes of H, Huddo and even QStick, who showed much more for the club as a departing player, and was another who made a good speech.

Its hard when you see great players cast in this light. You have them on a pedestal, and they come crashing down. Daisy is another.

Its not about being nice or pleasant, I couldn't give a rats about their personality. Its about integrity, something Nick Maxwell has in spades. Beams, and before him Daisy, are not fit to share the same platform as Maxy.

PB, dare I say its not as black and white as that. Those of us who accept the club's position, as presented via public announcements, are not 'blind sheep'. Its just that we dont go looking for more sinister explanations of why things go awry.

Saying that, I like many on here am extremely disappointed in Beams not being at the Copeland last night. If there is not a legitimate excuse offered - and I havent heard one - then it is really poor form. If that was Beams' call, then he was mightily shown up by the likes of H, Huddo and even QStick, who showed much more for the club as a departing player, and was another who made a good speech.

Its hard when you see great players cast in this light. You have them on a pedestal, and they come crashing down. Daisy is another.

Its not about being nice or pleasant, I couldn't give a rats about their personality. Its about integrity, something Nick Maxwell has in spades. Beams, and before him Daisy, are not fit to share the same platform as Maxy.
It's just bizarre that some on these boards are consistent at speculating that everything that happens at Collingwood has a sinister side to it. We all know that there could be problems at the club but some here are happy to just call it without the requisite evidence. They may ultimately prove to be right but it certainly doesn't change the fact that it's an illogical stance to take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt the club would have suggested he not attend since they were still trying to keep him.
IMO shows the family excuse is a little thin
Only wants to go to brisbane also makes the family excuse weak
Was my favourite player, he's lost my respect
Good on the club for making a stand on this, this is a situation where I think it's ok to lose out as long as we hold to our principles. Will make the club stronger in the long run

Pick 4/5 plus good player or bust

Doubt the club would have suggested he not attend since they were still trying to keep him.
IMO shows the family excuse is a little thin
Only wants to go to brisbane also makes the family excuse weak
Was my favourite player, he's lost my respect
Good on the club for making a stand on this, this is a situation where I think it's ok to lose out as long as we hold to our principles. Will make the club stronger in the long run

Pick 4/5 plus good player or bust
I totally disagree that Beams non-attendance shows any such thing. That is pure speculation when it's just as likely that the club would have wished to avoid a sideshow. I definitely understand people's disappointment but I don't think that everything is as cut and dried as the suggestion that it was disrespectful.

You only think it's delusional because you hang out with people who want it to be delusional.

Look at it this way ..

Add Beams to Brisbane's 22; and take out one of Rockliff, Hanley or Aish, and take out the contribution pick 4 would have make ... And after all of that, would Brisbane be a better side than they are today? Of course they would be.

Now take Beams out of Collingwood's 22; then add one of , Hanley or Aish; add a pick 4 player ... And after all that, would Collingwood be a better side than they are today? Of course not! (Sure, there's a possibility they might be in 3 years when the young players develop)

If Brisbane can get Beams for pick 4 and one of Aish / Rockliff / Hanley; they should grab the deal and run like they stole it.

I totally disagree that Beams non-attendance shows any such thing. That is pure speculation when it's just as likely that the club would have wished to avoid a sideshow. I definitely understand people's disappointment but I don't think that everything is as cut and dried as the suggestion that it was disrespectful.

As is your right, just as I disagree.
I could not imagine that they would be doing and saying everything to keep him then add " even though we really want you to stay we don't want you at our awards night" and at the same time hey Harry please come to our awards night.

Bizarre if true

Beams is obviously not happy at the club. Is it because we moved on Shaw, he wasn't happy with the training loads, didn't like Bucks' approach to on and off field professionalism ? Who knows, but if these reasons are legitimate it really shows the true character of Beams rather than reflecting poorly on the coach/club etc.

We can diss Greg Swann all we like but he's a good negotiator and gets deals done. Brisbane don't want this to go for another year anymore then we do.

Let's look at the Judd trade. carlton coughed up picks 3 & 20 + Josh Kennedy (2nd year KPP taken with pick 4). Carlton had pick 2 in the PSD. Judd was uncontracted. They could have tried the PSD route but it's putting all your eggs in the one basket and very risky when it's such a good player. Swann obviously thought that way given his offer to WCE.

My take on where it's at:

Brisbane would have Hanley and Rockliff as untouchables. I'd be keen on Hanley but not Rockliff. Zorko is from QLD and is very small as is Taylor. We have enough small players that project similar to these guys. Aish has go home factor written all over him. He's put off contract talks since March, and I believe the family name is football royalty in a Adelaide. He'll be on the move next year and would be unlikely to accept a trade to us.

Pick 4 + Mayes (very good friends with Grundy), Rich or Redden would be our asking price. I believe Bucks really liked Rich and coming off a knee reco may be the one Brisbane are happy to part with.

Given their are 4 clear standouts available in the draft with Heeney and Moore, academy and f/s selections, if pick 4 moves to pick 5, I can see that becoming another issue that changes the trade scenario.

NOTE on Beams non appearance at the BnF - Ed said he personally invited him, once Beams was named as 3rd place. Beams was being a smartarse posting the Instagram comment about being with H.Shaw, his best mate, on the night he should have been attending the BnF. It was a case of indicating " I'm not there because you got rid of my mate and look what I'm doing tonight instead". Very immature.

Last edited:
As is your right, just as I disagree.
I could not imagine that they would be doing and saying everything to keep him then add " even though we really want you to stay we don't want you at our awards night" and at the same time hey Harry please come to our awards night.

Bizarre if true
What on earth would make you think it would have been put to him that way. If they said anything at all, (and I'm not saying they necessarily did) I'd imagine it would be nothing more than that he should consider his position given the likely fall out from some members. Strong enough to let him know that it could turn into a sideshow without the suggestion that he's not wanted.

You only think it's delusional because you hang out with people who want it to be delusional.

Look at it this way ..

Add Beams to Brisbane's 22; and take out one of Rockliff, Hanley or Aish, and take out the contribution pick 4 would have make ... And after all of that, would Brisbane be a better side than they are today? Of course they would be.

Now take Beams out of Collingwood's 22; then add one of , Hanley or Aish; add a pick 4 player ... And after all that, would Collingwood be a better side than they are today? Of course not! (Sure, there's a possibility they might be in 3 years when the young players develop)

If Brisbane can get Beams for pick 4 and one of Aish / Rockliff / Hanley; they should grab the deal and run like they stole it.

Look I agree with the premise of the post, especially the delusional part which was well put.

I think we can stop placing Aish in the same sentence as Rockliff/ Hanley etc. He is no where near as good at present. Nor a guarantee to be so.

Pick 4 and Rockliff or Hanley would be overs in my opinion but Aish- please. He has shown his selection may not be a bust but that is it. No where near the other two.

Pick 4 and Aish is two guesses on the part of the Pies for a proven top echelon midfielder about to enter his prime. I accept that pick 4 and a proven, good to great player, in Rockliff/ Hanley is too much but a first year player (pick 4) and one about to enter his 2nd year(Aish) is not overs and more than fair.

If the Lions can't do that deal then all that they are trying to do is pull our pants down for a contracted player.

What on earth would make you think it would have been put to him that way. If they said anything at all, (and I'm not saying they necessarily did) I'd imagine it would be nothing more than that he should consider his position given the likely fall out from some members. Strong enough to let him know that it could turn into a sideshow without the suggestion that he's not wanted.

Three words form my opinion

Side by Side

And as to the potential fallout from some members idea - I think there is alot more fallout now that he didn't attend

I tend to agree.. .. However I would have expected one side of the party to come out and provide some form of explanation why he wasn't there.

I won't get involved in the rubbishing of players without knowing circumstances. He's still a premiership player in my eyes and always will be. Was an exciting pick-up over the years we've had, both on and off the field at times. I just think we should move along from this and look at what his move now brings us.

I don't know why posters can't see the exciting times ahead. I for one am looking forward to the lower expectations that will come with developing our kids towards a talented competitive side in 4-5 years time.

The last few years I've been getting tired of people claiming that we are something that was clear to me we weren't and the expectations on us to consistently be finals and premiership contenders. This is a blessing in disguise really when you look at where GCS and GWS lists are.

Develop our kids, stick behind the club and let players move on. It's just a job, people come and go all the time and each people handle things differently. 50% of people wouldnt tell their employers the real reason they're leaving anyway so why should a footballer be any different.

Three words form my opinion

Side by Side

And as to the potential fallout from some members idea - I think there is alot more fallout now that he didn't attend
You may be correct but I doubt whether either Beams or the club care much about the opinions of a few ill-informed BF posters.

Beams is obviously not happy at the club. Is it because we moved on Shaw, he wasn't happy with the training loads, didn't like Bucks' approach to on and off field professionalism ? Who knows, but if these reasons are legitimate it really shows the true character of Beams rather than reflecting poorly on the coach/club etc.

We can diss Greg Swann all we like but he's a good negotiator and gets deals done. Brisbane don't want this to go for another year anymore then we do.

Let's look at the Judd trade. carlton coughed up picks 3 & 20 + Josh Kennedy (2nd year KPP taken with pick 4). Carlton had pick 2 in the PSD. They could have tried the PSD route but it's putting all your eggs in the one basket and very risky when it's such a good player. Swann obviously thought that way given his offer to WCE.

My take on where it's at:

Brisbane would have Hanley and Rockliff as untouchables. I'd be keen on Hanley but not Rockliff. Zorko is from QLD and is very small as is Taylor. We have enough small players that project similar to these guys. Aish has go home factor written all over him. He's put off contract talks since March, and I believe the family name is football royalty in a Adelaide. He'll be on the move next year and would be unlikely to accept a trade to us.

Pick 4 + Mayes (very good friends with Grundy), Rich or Redden would be our asking price. I believe Bucks really liked Rich and coming off a knee reco may be the one Brisbane are happy to part with.

Given their are 4 clear standouts available in the draft with Heeney and Moore, academy and f/s selections, if pick 4 moves to pick 5, I can see that becoming another issue that changes the trade scenario.

NOTE on Beams non appearance at the BnF - Ed said he personally invited him, once Beams was named as 3rd place. Beams was being a smartarse posting the Instagram comment about being with H.Shaw, his best mate, on the night he should have been attending the BnF. It was a case of indicating " I'm not there because you got rid of my mate and look what I'm doing tonight instead". Very immature.

Or we can take brisbanes pick 4 and aish
On trade aish to adelaide for their picks 9 and 29
Trade 29 for greenwood

Gives us picks 4,8,9,22 (H), 28, greenwood.

Imagine how big a draft it would be if we got moore with pick 28.
BOYOHBOY WOWWEE

I tend to agree.. .. However I would have expected one side of the party to come out and provide some form of explanation why he wasn't there.

I won't get involved in the rubbishing of players without knowing circumstances. He's still a premiership player in my eyes and always will be. Was an exciting pick-up over the years we've had, both on and off the field at times. I just think we should move along from this and look at what his move now brings us.

I don't know why posters can't see the exciting times ahead. I for one am looking forward to the lower expectations that will come with developing our kids towards a talented competitive side in 4-5 years time.

The last few years I've been getting tired of people claiming that we are something that was clear to me we weren't and the expectations on us to consistently be finals and premiership contenders. This is a blessing in disguise really when you look at where GCS and GWS lists are.

Develop our kids, stick behind the club and let players move on. It's just a job, people come and go all the time and each people handle things differently. 50% of people wouldnt tell their employers the real reason they're leaving anyway so why should a footballer be any different.
Totally agree. If nothing is said about it by either party we will only be able to speculate. I would hope that the club makes some kind of statement today which would put the matter to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back