Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I agree with the premise of the post, especially the delusional part which was well put.

I think we can stop placing Aish in the same sentence as Rockliff/ Hanley etc. He is no where near as good at present. Nor a guarantee to be so.

Pick 4 and Rockliff or Hanley would be overs in my opinion but Aish- please. He has shown his selection may not be a bust but that is it. No where near the other two.

Pick 4 and Aish is two guesses on the part of the Pies for a proven top echelon midfielder about to enter his prime. I accept that pick 4 and a proven, good to great player, in Rockliff/ Hanley is too much but a first year player (pick 4) and one about to enter his 2nd year(Aish) is not overs and more than fair.

If the Lions can't do that deal then all that they are trying to do is pull our pants down for a contracted player.
ABSOFARKENLUTELY! Rockliff/Hanley maybe not. But Aish! Come on!

By the same token I think we'd have to be prepared to give up a Kennedy/Grundy/Broomhead though so it is harder than it sounds.

It's nothing different to what Brisbane are saying about only pick 4. It's a start point to commence negotiations. Both clubs know they will have to meet somewhere in between. I wouldn't read anything more into it than that.

A lot of people seem to be on this "meet in the middle" thing ... But I disagree strongly with that.

It's all about putting together a deal that will make Brisbane a better team, and Collingwood a better team (and if there are 3rd parties involved, making them better teams too)

Unless that happens, no deal is going to made, is it?

Of course there are timeframes involved one team might become better than they are instantly, and the other might have to wait a few years to reap the benefit of the trade (ie: see Shaw-Adams).

But essentially they have to have some motivation to do the trade.

Brisbane don't have to trade. Collingwood don't have to trade. And if they can't figure out a deal that benefits both parties then they won't trade.

And that's not going to happen by "meeting in the middle".

You may be correct but I doubt whether either Beams or the club care much about the opinions of a few ill-informed BF posters.

I don't care for this type of logic.

How many of these "ill informed" BF posters pay for memberships year after year? The club should care about what the opinions of it's supporters.

The other thing I like about the Friday deadline is that it gives Brisbane a confined period to decide how badly they want the trade to happen then if they don't get serious we have an extended period to 'get it on' with GOld Coast. Even if it comes down to one of those stand offs because Beams refuses to go to GC you would think the public and media scrutiny would then have to shift to him given his stated reason for leaving is to be close to his father and not to join the Brisbane Lions.

Gold Coast have said they won't make a play unless negotiations between Brisbane and Collingwood fall through, this gives the deal a chance to get done or fall through in enough time to allow GC to make play and at the same time lets Brisbane know they can't block out other possibilities by just dragging it out until the end of the trade period. Clever. And yet there are supposedly some on the Brions board who declare us incompetent.

The important thing is that we stick to the deadline or we will not be taken seriously in the future.

Last edited:
Or we can take brisbanes pick 4 and aish
On trade aish to adelaide for their picks 9
and 29
Trade 29 for greenwood

Gives us picks 4,8,9,22 (H), 28, greenwood.

Imagine how big a draft it would be if we got moore with pick 28.
BOYOHBOY WOWWEE
Didn't consider that. Aish to the Crows for pick 9 sounds close. Picks 4 & 9 for Beams, is a fair deal, IMO, considering the draft depth.

If we're keen on Greenwood-

Lumumba & pick 29 for picks 22 & 34 (Clark trade)

Greenwood for 34.

Picks 4, 9 & 22 + Greenwood for Pick 29, Beams and Lumumba. I could live with that.

What on earth would make you think it would have been put to him that way. If they said anything at all, (and I'm not saying they necessarily did) I'd imagine it would be nothing more than that he should consider his position given the likely fall out from some members. Strong enough to let him know that it could turn into a sideshow without the suggestion that he's not wanted.

He was invited to the BnF stop defending him, Beams has every right to seek out greener pastures for a myriad of reasons but he doesn't have to act like a scorned lover about it.

ABSOFARKENLUTELY! Rockliff/Hanley maybe not. But Aish! Come on!

By the same token I think we'd have to be prepared to give up a Kennedy/Grundy/Broomhead though so it is harder than it sounds.

Agree it is emotionally difficult to give up hope- young players showing a bit.

However, if Darcey was not on the agenda this year would you give up pick 8 and any of those 3 for Dangerfield.

If we can remove the emotional connection to hope and deal just on logic (hard to do in what is an emotional sport) not many players get to the level of Beams at present and he still has his prime to come. It is 2 lotto tickets against a winning ticket.

Beams is obviously not happy at the club. Is it because we moved on Shaw, he wasn't happy with the training loads, didn't like Bucks' approach to on and off field professionalism ? Who knows, but if these reasons are legitimate it really shows the true character of Beams rather than reflecting poorly on the coach/club etc.

Sometimes people don't realise that they're unhappy until they're put in a situation that makes them happy.

Beams has definately had highs and lows at Collingwood. 2013 was a low that we can all appreciate and respect.

There may be many things, and it might not simply just been one thing. We've all been through work / school / social environments where we have a moment of realisation that we don't want to be here anymore.

Didn't consider that. Aish to the Crows for pick 9 sounds close. Picks 4 & 9 for Beams, is a fair deal, IMO, considering the draft depth.

Greenwood for 34.

Picks 4, 9 & 22 + Greenwood for Pick 29, Beams and Lumumba. I could live with that.

Plus Darcy Moore.

Look I agree with the premise of the post, especially the delusional part which was well put.

I think we can stop placing Aish in the same sentence as Rockliff/ Hanley etc. He is no where near as good at present. Nor a guarantee to be so.

Pick 4 and Rockliff or Hanley would be overs in my opinion but Aish- please. He has shown his selection may not be a bust but that is it. No where near the other two.

Pick 4 and Aish is two guesses on the part of the Pies for a proven top echelon midfielder about to enter his prime. I accept that pick 4 and a proven, good to great player, in Rockliff/ Hanley is too much but a first year player (pick 4) and one about to enter his 2nd year(Aish) is not overs and more than fair.

If the Lions can't do that deal then all that they are trying to do is pull our pants down for a contracted player.

I agree.

Won't get Hanley or Rockliff or Redden.

Aish or Mayes plus 4 is much more palatable to them.

1 -2 years only into their development, have shown good signs but not dominant players yet and no guarantee they become anything other then good solid players.

Beams is a known goal kicking midfield gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You only think it's delusional because you hang out with people who want it to be delusional.

Look at it this way ..

Add Beams to Brisbane's 22; and take out one of Rockliff, Hanley or Aish, and take out the contribution pick 4 would have make ... And after all of that, would Brisbane be a better side than they are today? Of course they would be.

Now take Beams out of Collingwood's 22; then add one of , Hanley or Aish; add a pick 4 player ... And after all that, would Collingwood be a better side than they are today? Of course not! (Sure, there's a possibility they might be in 3 years when the young players develop)

If Brisbane can get Beams for pick 4 and one of Aish / Rockliff / Hanley; they should grab the deal and run like they stole it.

Disagree. Rockliff is worth similar to Beams so pick 4 and Rockliff wouldn't be a deal
Hanley is worth a bit less than Beams, but with pick 4 they would be worth about the same again no deal from Brisbane
Aish is worth less again he's a potential and with pick 4 he is worth a little less than Beams but you don't trade out young talent unless they are going soon anyway. I can however see this deal happening, if Aish wants to go to Melbourne/Adelaide although Aish won't make his desire to be traded public unless it happens.

Greenwood for 34.

Yeah except that can't happen coz u cannot on-trade a player! You can only on-trade a pick!

NOTE on Beams non appearance at the BnF - Ed said he personally invited him, once Beams was named as 3rd place. Beams was being a smartarse posting the Instagram comment about being with H.Shaw, his best mate, on the night he should have been attending the BnF. It was a case of indicating " I'm not there because you got rid of my mate and look what I'm doing tonight instead". Very immature.
I believe it was an old post by Beams done a few weeks ago. It only came up again last night when a fan commented on it.

Greenwood for 34.

Yeah except that can't happen coz u cannot on-trade a player! You can only on-trade a pick!

I don't really have a problem with Beams not being at the Copeland.
It could be as simple as him not wanting to entertain people hassling him all night with questions and pleas to stay. Most of us would know the feeling of wanting to move on (footy club or work), you're mind is made up for whatever reason and you don't want to be in situations where people are constantly trying to change your mind.
H would probably like the attention whereas Beams most likely would prefer to avoid it.
I don't know, it's a tough one but I don't think it defines character because most of us have no idea what sort of character he is in the first place.

Just do a three way trade with Adelaide then. They give pick 9 to Brisbane who then on trade it to us along with their pick 4.

As can said. The other thing I'm not sure of, is can you trade a player after being drafted only a year ago? Does a National draftee have to serve his initial 2 year deal, prior to moving clubs?

My 2 cents as an opposition supporter. You don't have a strong hand - it's pick 4 now or nothing in 12 months. This is nothing you don't know. That's why he's only 'worth' pick 4. The way he's behaving I think he's more than happy to sit next year out...
I understand where you are coming from but what has transpired in the past 24 hours means simply that it is pick 4 and a worthwhile player or he plays for the Pies next year.

We certainly won't get nothing next year as some posters allude to, if free agency compo stays the way it is we will end up with two first round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back