Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy

STAGE 1

Bris outs - aish
Bris ins - 9, 29

Adel outs - 9, 29
Adel ins - aish

STAGE 2

Bris outs - picks 4, 9, 29
Bris ins - beams

Coll outs - beams
Coll ins - picks 4, 9 , 29

STAGE 3

Coll outs - lumumba pick 45
Coll ins - Pick 22

Melb outs - pick 22
Melb ins - lumumba pick 45

STAGE 4

Coll outs - pick 29
Coll ins - greenwood

North outs- greenwood
North ins - pick 29

STAGE 5

Hope moore slips to a 2nd rounder

Gives us picks 4,8,9,22,28,greenwood. With moore being at either 8 or 28

Complicated way of the Lions losing pick 4 and Aish, for Beams.

The rest of it is wasted because that's a 0% chance of happening.

The ultimatum by the club is interesting. Brisbane have til 5pm Friday to facilitate a deal or we are going to look at other trading options with other clubs (probably GC).

Wouldn't it be in the best interests of the club to be negotiating with both sides at the same time in order to get the best possible deal? Have them fight with each other in the rare case that one of them pays overs.
It could have something to with the legitimacy of Beams' reasons for wanting to leave. Having said that I still think they'll talk to GC and maybe some third parties about possible deals. Gives a bit more ammunition when BL come to the table with something.
BL: ok we'll give you this and this
COL: Ummm(thinking of GC's offer) yeah, nah. When you get Lethal's arm out of your arse, come back to us.

Karma is also an important element in footy. Brisbane fans need to consider this. Clubs that work out a fair and reasonable trade eg as Sydney usually do - end up strong, healthy stable entities with good karma, they only began to lose their karma when they started exploiting their cola with celebrity forwards recently.

Carlton holding West Coast over a barrel with the Judd trade meant that Josh Kennedy was always going to turn into the power forward they would be screaming out for at another club while Judd never delivered the flag they expected and they remain an irrelevant sad little football club 8 years on.

Think about karma Brisbane fans. Ignore it at your peril, it bites hard.
The whole karma thing didn't stop clubs from destroying us at the trade table in recent years. Why should we now bend over when we're in the position of power?

Clutching at straws me thinks.

Gary Pert's standing has just gone up a little for mine. Wonderful stance the club has taken. They have created the urgency and Brisbane are well aware of what it will take to get it done and they have until 5pm Friday- no drawn out negotiations. It should be a pretty simple deal for them to seal really however them thinking the bulk of their list except for Harwood or Crisp being untouchable is their own problem.

Gary Pert was very grateful for my advice (posted around a week ago) ... :p

Maybe the club should say to GC and Brisbane "Look, this will be the biggest trade for all of us. Let's be very generous and focus the first three days of trade period to negotiate a good outcome. That gives plenty of time for all parties to get their stuff together, and to sort out any three-ways if necessary. If we can't sort this out by the end of day 3 then let's just call the whole thing off, 'cause I'm sure we've all got other things we want to achieve during Trade period."

Last edited:
I'm really hoping the Suns get involved in the current stalemate.

We will have a better idea of how much "overs" we can afford early next week once Malceski makes a decision one way or another, but I'm hoping we have a real crack at the trade.

Would Pick 7 plus Danny Stanley be of interest? You get your hard-nut versatile midfielder back for some grunt. Still only 26.

Throw in another upside midfielder maybe in Lonergan or Matt Shaw. Or defender like Tape (going to end up in a similar mold to Maxwell). Or possibly a quick half-fwd like Aaron Hall? Or Jack Leslie - ruck/key defender type. Not sure what your list needs apart from a midfield replacement for Beams.

Fingers crossed we stir the pot a bit, even if it is just to make the Lions pay overs ;)

The whole karma thing didn't stop clubs from destroying us at the trade table in recent years. Why should we now bend over when we're in the position of power?

You'd be in a position of power if he was not contracted. As it is, there's nothing stopping us dealing with GC if they offer better trade terms, and there's nothing stopping us forcing Beams to play out his contract.
(Not that I think it will come to that)

How have we been destroyed at the trade table ??? :confused:

The only trade that some people think wasn't fair was the Shaw for Adams trade (and let's gree to is agree on that one)

How have we been destroyed at the trade table ??? :confused:

The only trade that some people think wasn't fair was the Shaw for Adams trade (and let's gree to is agree on that one)
I don't support Collingwood...

The ultimatum by the club is interesting. Brisbane have til 5pm Friday to facilitate a deal or we are going to look at other trading options with other clubs (probably GC).

Wouldn't it be in the best interests of the club to be negotiating with both sides at the same time in order to get the best possible deal? Have them fight with each other in the rare case that one of them pays overs.

But in this case Pera GC seem to be playing wide and focusing on other priorities because they don't want to waste time courting a player who has stated clearly he wants to go to another club, it's a waste of time and resources. So to my mind we have now engineered the situation so that If Brisbane fail to satisfy us they can come in and try to make an appeal to Dayne once Brisbane are out of the picture. This is still a long shot but you never know. If even part of his stated intention to be near his father is authentic, GC are now the only port of call, they come to you with an attractive pitch, a young team on the rise, new coach etc etc, plus the fact you are starting to look more and more like a duplicitous young fellow to the general public every day because your father lives close to the Gold Coast, maybe you just start to look at the deal rather than go back to the seething hotbed of dissension you've helped create in Victoria by not attending the Copeland and reacting on Instagram. It makes sense to me. Hello Gold Coast week 2 deal.

Last edited:
Didn't consider that. Aish to the Crows for pick 9 sounds close. Picks 4 & 9 for Beams, is a fair deal, IMO, considering the draft depth.

If we're keen on Greenwood-

Lumumba & pick 29 for picks 22 & 34 (Clark trade)

Greenwood for 34.

Picks 4, 9 & 22 + Greenwood for Pick 29, Beams and Lumumba. I could live with that.
would we consider upgrading picks 4 and 9?

Long term, I disagree. We are better off (2-5 years) having Rockliff/Hanley/Aish and pick 4, than Beams on his own.

A team needs a good mix of established players to help them develop.

Look at where GWS are at for example.

But in this case Pera GC seem to be playing wide and focusing on other priorities because they don't want to waste time courting a player who has stated clearly he wants to go to another club, it's a waste of time and resources. So to my mind we have now engineered the situation so that If Brisbane fail to satisfy us they can come in and try to make an appeal to Dayne once Brisbane are out of the picture. This is still a long shot but you never know. If even part of his stated intention to be near his father is authentic, GC are now the only port of call, they come to you with an attractive pitch, a young team on the rise, new coach etc etc, plus the fact you are starting to look more and more like a duplicitous young fellow to the general public every day because your father lives close to the Gold Coast, maybe you just start to look at the deal rather than go back to the seething hotbed of dissension you've helped create in Victoria by not attending the Copeland and reacting on Instagram. It makes sense to me. Hello Gold Coast week 3 deal.

I thought trade week was only 2 weeks this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd be in a position of power if he was not contracted. As it is, there's nothing stopping us dealing with GC if they offer better trade terms, and there's nothing stopping us forcing Beams to play out his contract.
(Not that I think it will come to that)
He can't go to GC, not enough salary cap space.

He is contracted, but judging from last night he'd take a sabbatical over playing for Collingwood again. Can't force him to play. Hence our position of power in this trade. You don't want to lose him for nothing...

FWIW, I'd be surprised if we didn't have a standing offer open to Beams to come home. We'd be mad not to. He's the best midfielder to come out of this State since Akermanis. Qld simply doesn't produce players of this quality all that often (let alone midfielders) and, as a result, our club will always try and target them if they end up at interstate clubs. Dunstall, Riewoldt are two examples of Qld bred guns who the club has tried really hard to get back to Brisbane.
I have no problem with clubs trying to recruit good players, its their responsibility. I am referring to when the news broke most pie fans accepted the sick dad line as the only reason he would leave. Some of us thought there was more to it and clearly there is.

He is contracted, but judging from last night he'd take a sabbatical over playing for Collingwood again. Can't force him to play. Hence our position of power in this trade. You don't want to lose him for nothing...

How on earth could you know GC salary cap space?

Also, I'm sure Collingwood could accommodate paying some of Beams' salary if it came down to it.

Collingwood will not be held to ransom by Brisbane, period.

Not an advocate of the karma thing but how are you in a position of power?
Edit: seriously? Sit out for a year? Do you think that Brisbane are rubbing their hands together waiting for this to happen. Supreme confidence that next year's bottom sides are going to entertain Brisbane at the table just because he's nominated Brisbane?

Lol. You're kidding yourself if you think they won't attempt to make some space. Especially if Malceski stays a swan.
They've already signaled their interest publicly.

You do realise that the Suns are actually allowed to trade out players to make space in the cap, don't you?

And being a contracted player we can do the same deal carlton did with brisbane in the fevola deal and pay part of his wages that his CURRENT contract contains.

Me thinks brisbane supporters arrogance is withering away realising they wont get the deal of the century

:oops:

Out of interest ... Do you think Paine for Karnezis was a fair trade?
It was the fairest one we got. However the potential for Karnezis is a lot greater IMO. But in reality both are duds, so I'd call it a fair trade, but it wasn't exactly a meaningful trade to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back