Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not holding you to ransom. We're merely offering something half decent now so you don't lose him for nothing in a year. By all means take it or leave it. It's not like we're exactly reluctant to use Pick 4 on McCartin/Wright in the draft.
Perfect. Take them in the draft and we'll send Beams to Gold Coast. I'd love to see the uproar by your fans when you stuff up the chance to recruit an elite Queensland born midfielder, who's brother happens to be at your club. Would be hilarious.

The Suns aren't going to move heaven and Earth for Beams. They need to if they want him.

They've already stated they are 'flexible' enough to accommodate a trade. They are just waiting to see what unfolds with Brisbane and whether you are capable and professional enough to get the deal done or still stuck on the Crazy Vossy roulette wheel. Might be time for y'all to start getting a bit more imaginative than pick 4, hmmm?

You can tell Brisbane supporters are new to the game of AFL.
They really don't understand the inner workings and how the AFL works.

I read on the Fox Sport News alerts that Collingwood has given Brisbane a deadline of 5pm next Friday to facilitate a fair trade for Beams...

Or it appears we will deal with someone else.

I think Collingwood are being pretty respectful to Beams by allowing Brisbane sole trading abilities until then.

The Suns aren't going to move heaven and Earth for Beams. They need to if they want him.

Hence why we've given Brisbane until Friday to make a deal. Gives GC a week to convince Beams to come to them + we'd throw some of Beams salary their way, ala Shaw, to get the better deal.

Including an established player in any deal also helps to reduce some salary pressure for GC.

Do you seriously think the Suns won't make a big effort to secure a player of the calibre of Beams? Brisbane have to a certain degree, salary wise.

So glad, Scott Clayton, says they are keeping and eye on things. Picks 7 & 14 > Pick 4.

I read on the Fox Sport News alerts that Collingwood has given Brisbane a deadline of 5pm next Friday to facilitate a fair trade for Beams...

Or it appears we will deal with someone else.

I think Collingwood are being pretty respectful to Beams by allowing Brisbane sole trading abilities until then.

I'd say we have things of our own we want to get done & don't want to wait until the last minute to find out if we can get them done.
I think the trade will happen. The 2 clubs have sat down & know what this deal will take. There will probably be a bit of give & take, but in the end Beams will be with the Lions & we will get adequate compensation. The only thing happening right now is a bit of pre trade bravado.

The issue Brisbane supporters don't twig about is.
They are making Beams their highest paid player.
In a contractual basis, they rate him higher than anyone. Rockliff, Hanley, you name it.
Anyone in the industry and with a real understanding of AFL would ask.
Swanny, you are making Dayne your highest paid player and you only want to hand over Pick 5?
Even Liam Pickering just said Brisbane are living in fairy land of their offer.

The whole karma thing didn't stop clubs from destroying us at the trade table in recent years. Why should we now bend over when we're in the position of power?

Clutching at straws me thinks.
I love the Brisbane definition of destroyed:
Goes something along the lines of getting a speculative pick for a speculative player who's done jack shit for 2/3 years.

Didn't consider that. Aish to the Crows for pick 9 sounds close. Picks 4 & 9 for Beams, is a fair deal, IMO, considering the draft depth.

If we're keen on Greenwood-

Lumumba & pick 29 for picks 22 & 34 (Clark trade)

Greenwood for 34.

Picks 4, 9 & 22 + Greenwood for Pick 29, Beams and Lumumba. I could live with that.

Greenwood worth pick 28 at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mail I got back today from a friend who went to the Copeland is that Brisbane have been talking to dayne for some time, Eddie is furious but they are keeping a lid on it publicly out of respect for dayne and his family, but there is a lot of distrust and angst involved in the situation. Certainly the initial stance the club took which was to try to keep him has been abandoned. If Brisbane don't come up with the right deal the club will just send dayne home and he will not play afl next year. We get nothing but we send a message to teams trying to poach contracted players.

We're merely offering something half decent now so you don't lose him for nothing in a year.
The thing you Brisbane supporters don't seem to understand is that just because we might lose him for nothing next year doesn't mean that you'll get him for nothing - He's not eligible for free agency next year, which means that even next off-season his choices will be Collingwood, roll the dice in the draft, or just like this year, have the team you want orchestrate a trade.

Brisbane have no more leverage next year than this year unless they finish on the bottom of the ladder.

A sabbatical?? How would that work. He has a contract to play football. He is still an employee of the Collingwood FC. If he decided to take a year off rather than play, I assume he would have to forego his contract and be delisted. If he wanted to play in 2016, wouldn't he then just have to nominate for the National Draft?? I can't see how this would work in his or your favour
If that happens I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL got involved with some form of sanction with Beams. It wouldn't be in the spirit of the trade period or game, especially as Beams would be walking away from a binding contract.

Brisbane have no more leverage next year than this year unless they finish on the bottom of the ladder.
Beams can nominate a price on his head that only Brisbane can match, we can then front end his contract.

Mail I got back today from a friend who went to the Copeland is that Brisbane have been talking to dayne for some time, Eddie is furious but they are keeping a lid on it publicly out of respect for dayne and his family, but there is a lot of distrust and angst involved in the situation. Certainly the initial stance the club took which was to try to keep him has been abandoned. If Brisbane don't come up with the right deal the club will just send dayne home and he will not play afl next year. We get nothing but we send a message to teams trying to poach contracted players.

Wouldn't put it past Brisbane, they are clueless as a club. A complete rabble now that the AFL's spotlight is on other franchises.

Like i like it, the only issue is Bris won't let go of aish! Bris trading aish for pick 9 and 29 then giving them to us is the exact same deal as them giving us aish in the first place which they've said they just won't. The only small loophole here is that, once Bris come to terms with the fact they r going to have to let go of aish to get beams, aish will agree to a trade to Adelaide over Coll so that works in our favour as well as Bris favour in that we won't face the go home factor.

The sooner Bris come to the realisation that this deal just won't work without the aish component, the faster we can get a deal done! The issue is it may take them all of 2 weeks to come to that realisation!

Its let go of aish or dont get beams as far as im concerned

So can the Gold Coast numb nuts..........
And yet, they've already said they cannot fit both Malceski and Beams in the salary cap.

Beams can nominate a price on his head that only Brisbane can match, we can then front end his contract.

It's not so much that only one club can match it....it's that only Brisbane might be willing to commit that much. What makes you think CFC (just for instance) doesn't have a huge war chest saved up? Yes we're one of the clubs that have to pay for the rest of the competition to catch up....but what makes you think the pies couldn't match any offer (if they chose to)?

And yet, they've already said they cannot fit both Malceski and Beams in the salary cap.

They would have a year to figure it out. Beams is contracted for 2015, your scenario is about 2016.

Its a dumb idea to stuff Beams around for a year when he wants to join you.

Got a week to consider that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back