Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not so much that only one club can match it....it's that only Brisbane might be willing to commit that much. What makes you think CFC (just for instance) doesn't have a huge war chest saved up? Yes we're one of the clubs that have to pay for the rest of the competition to catch up....but what makes you think the pies couldn't match any offer (if they chose to)?
It's how we got Luke ball. Which realistically is draft tampering. Clubs aren't going to use an early pick on a player they know doesn't want to be there. It goes against the whole system but I guess we did it with Ball and got away with it so we can't really complain if Brisbane do it with beams.

Mail I got back today from a friend who went to the Copeland is that Brisbane have been talking to dayne for some time, Eddie is furious but they are keeping a lid on it publicly out of respect for dayne and his family, but there is a lot of distrust and angst involved in the situation. Certainly the initial stance the club took which was to try to keep him has been abandoned. If Brisbane don't come up with the right deal the club will just send dayne home and he will not play afl next year. We get nothing but we send a message to teams trying to poach contracted players.
Does this suggest that Beams was an innocent bystander in the talks with Brisbane?
BL: hi Dayne, it's us again. We're just letting you know that we've upped the offer
Beams: (sticking fingers in ears) la la la la I can't here you. La la la la all I heard was 800 gorillas.
Distrust and angst would suggest that the Pies would not deal exclusively with Brisbane in the first week.
**** this is getting messy and a touch confusing.

Edit: substitute Beams with Connors if you please?

I'm really hoping the Suns get involved in the current stalemate.

We will have a better idea of how much "overs" we can afford early next week once Malceski makes a decision one way or another, but I'm hoping we have a real crack at the trade.

Would Pick 7 plus Danny Stanley be of interest? You get your hard-nut versatile midfielder back for some grunt. Still only 26.

Throw in another upside midfielder maybe in Lonergan or Matt Shaw. Or defender like Tape (going to end up in a similar mold to Maxwell). Or possibly a quick half-fwd like Aaron Hall? Or Jack Leslie - ruck/key defender type. Not sure what your list needs apart from a midfield replacement for Beams.

Fingers crossed we stir the pot a bit, even if it is just to make the Lions pay overs ;)

I would love to get Lonergan in part of a trade been watching him since U18's and we need that type of midfielder

Does this suggest that Beams was an innocent bystander in the talks with Brisbane?
BL: hi Dayne, it's us again. We're just letting you know that we've upped the offer
Beams: (sticking fingers in ears) la la la la I can't here you. La la la la all I heard was 800 gorillas.
Distrust and angst would suggest that the Pies would not deal exclusively with Brisbane in the first week.
**** this is getting messy and a touch confusing.
I hope it gets more messy and his scum secrets come out

It's how we got Luke ball. Which realistically is draft tampering. Clubs aren't going to use an early pick on a player they know doesn't want to be there. It goes against the whole system but I guess we did it with Ball and got away with it so we can't really complain if Brisbane do it with beams.

I understand how Luke Ball came to CFC. Ross Lyon didn't rate him.
Dayne Beams has been rated effusively by CFC and treated accordingly for 6 years, we even understand his desire to go home for family reasons. What I'm referring to is the thought process that Brisbanites seem to using that this is the same situation as Ball. It's not, we've done everything right by the boy and should be expecting a fair trade in response.

Now the more Brisbanites try and ram a shoddy deal through, the more our "heavyweights" (Pert, Ed ) are going to dig their heels in. Interesting to watch Hine's approach in all this. He's just stated what's required and will wait until Brisbane find it. Just out of interest guys...how many "deals" has Hine lost in his time? (not players he's failed to pick....but how many times has he been gazzumped in a trade deal?)

You may be correct but I doubt whether either Beams or the club care much about the opinions of a few ill-informed BF posters.
That is a bit of an insult directed at supporters unhappy that Beams did not have the good grace to attend the function. In terms of his reasons for not attending, I would have thought that you are no more informed than the rest of us. The difference is that you choose to put a positive spin on his non attendance whereas most of us quite reasonably choose to see it as indicative of his dislike for the club. Whatever, the doubting Thomas-es among us who refused to believe that he wanted out solely because of his father appear to have been vindicated by his snub of the Copeland trophy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand how Luke Ball came to CFC. Ross Lyon didn't rate him.
Dayne Beams has been rated effusively by CFC and treated accordingly for 6 years, we even understand his desire to go home for family reasons. What I'm referring to is the thought process that Brisbanites seem to using that this is the same situation as Ball. It's not, we've done everything right by the boy and should be expecting a fair trade in response.

Now the more Brisbanites try and ram a shoddy deal through, the more our "heavyweights" (Pert, Ed ) are going to dig their heels in. Interesting to watch Hine's approach in all this. He's just stated what's required and will wait until Brisbane find it. Just out of interest guys...how many "deals" has Hine lost in his time? (not players he's failed to pick....but how many times has he been gazzumped in a trade deal?)
You're right it's a different situation, fine for ball to want out of st Kilda and they deserved to lose him, but the draft was manipulated to get to his preferred club.

I had my doubts about Beams since the 2010 Grand Final night - should never have put himself in that position. Same goes for Jmac. However, later I thought that maybe it was just a mistake - maybe not.

Beams should be playing Rugby League - that's where his kind of people thrive...

This is how I se it panning out.

Pies have now said we want player x plus pick 4. Rich, Redden, Rockliff etc or a gun youngster. The gun youngster will be Aish, Mayes plus two first rounders.

Some of these players will be expected to be contacted by the club for interviews etc.

But the Pies will seek middle ground. Rockliff probably straight swap. All the others would be plus a second rounder. The promising youngsters, Aish and Mayes would be plus pick 4. Nothing less.

Even to get a three way trade done, these players would have to be shopped. So in the event by Friday Collingwood have had no communications with these guys, no deal by the close of Friday, simple.

I also expect that these guys will be offered better coin at Collingwood given our obvious salary cap relief, that plus the lure of plying for a big club should be strong incentive.

It's about fifty-fifty that anything Collingwood would be adequately compensated in which case it would be over to the GC, or even perhaps GWS.

And the Lions will look like massive campaigners for taking advantage of the situation from a PR perspective.

That is a bit of insult directed at supporters unhappy that Beams did not have the good grace to attend the function. In terms of his reasons for not attending, I would have thought that you are no more informed than the rest of us. The difference is that you choose to put a positive spin on his non attendance whereas most of us quite reasonably choose to see it as indicative of his dislike for the club. Whatever, the doubting Thomas-es among us who refused to believe that he wanted out solely because of his father appear to have been vindicated by his snub of the Copeland trophy.

Yet what we are also poorly informed of is the nature of Dyane Beams. Could it be remotely possible that he decided not to attend because he didnt want to be involved in the ensuing media circus let alone having to field questions and pleas all night? Was he showing some respect to the evening so that it didn't become all about him?

We can play the speculation game all day but to think that this incident vindicates the doubting Thomas' is a bit of a stretch.

Yet what we are also poorly informed of is the nature of Dyane Beams. Could it be remotely possible that he decided not to attend because he didnt want to be involved in the ensuing media circus let alone having to field questions and pleas all night? Was he showing some respect to the evening so that it didn't become all about him?

We can play the speculation game all day but to think that this incident vindicates the doubting Thomas' is a bit of a stretch.
Its almost as if some posters need someone to hate and any explanation that shows their hate to be irrational is discarded.
Last year, Daisy, this year Beams

Ooo what a poor soul. Having to confront media and speculation? For 600k a year you would expect a lil more from someone who owes so much to Collingwood. IMO it shows his lack of character. As much as we hate on Harry at least he had some balls. Wonder if he will be visiting a tattoo removalist anytime soon?

Ooo what a poor soul. Having to confront media and speculation? For 600k a year you would expect a lil more from someone who owes so much to Collingwood. IMO it shows his lack of character. As much as we hate on Harry at least he had some balls. Wonder if he will be visiting a tattoo removalist anytime soon?
Whether he earns 600k or 60k doesn't count for shit in this case. You missed the part where he could have thought that his presence may have derailed the evening somewhat and made it all about him.
H would know that the hasn't been the wailing and gnashing of the teeth about his move as compared to Beams. His presence would not have caused the same amount attention.

Its almost as if some posters need someone to hate and any explanation that shows their hate to be irrational is discarded.
Last year, Daisy, this year Beams
If you don't recognise the bleeding obvious when you see it that is your affair. Just because posters rationally choose to believe that Beams' unhappiness with the club has at least as much to do with his desire to leave as his sick father does not mean we are looking for someone to hate. If I was truly seeking something to hate, I would need go no further than the pontificating tone of your posts.

If Beams had gone to the presentation and got up and said "I love this club and I love my team mates, but you've got to understand I need to be with my dad who i've loved my whole life. It may be hard for some of you to understand but this is something I've just got to do. Thanks to Eddie, Nathan, and everyone for letting me become a better player and person, I'll always cherish what this club has done for me."
Imagine the view we'd have of him. I just don't get what advice players get from their greedy managers. Paul Connors has dropped a lot in my estimation.

I think Rich and pick 4 would be my preference of all the mooted (Brisbane) trades for Beams. Rich is a high possession winner with a range of kicking skills that would add a point of difference to our current midfield mix. And pick 4 is gold in Hines hands. We aren't selling out the present too much with that and we give ourselves a good platform for the future. I think both groups of supporters would walk away with the feeling they have given up a bit too much which is a good test of whether it is reasonable or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back