MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. 2 weeks for tackles which do no damage and 2 weeks for bumps which concuss and take a player out for 2 games.

You have a good grasp of things.
I wouldn't have been shocked if Christian graded it high impact which would've been 2.

He'd have been wrong but I could see it happening.

I thought bumps are almost always graded careless because it's considered a 'football act'.
Correct. But Abasi doesn't watch football past Hawthorn's centre clearances so you'll have to excuse him.

I thought bumps are almost always graded careless because it's considered a 'football act'.
I would have thought that choosing to bump automatically makes it a deliberate decision.

I mean I was taking the piss but now I'm starting to wonder.
If I choose to do something it can be both a deliberate decision and a careless action, but that’s just the fun and games of the AFL wriggle room.

If I choose to do something it can be both a deliberate decision and a careless action, but that’s just the fun and games of the AFL wriggle room.
Yes but the AFL has clearly set where that arbitrary line falls. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Yes but the AFL has clearly set where that arbitrary line falls. I'm surprised you didn't know that.
I try not keep up to speed on the ever changing parameters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMHO the AFL has to rule hits like that as intentional. De Goey makes no attempt to tackle, no attempt to spoil the ball... the bump was a choice, pure and simple.

Yes, I know I'm a West Coast supporter so will be seen as biased... but every time I hear about a young player being concussed I keep thinking of Dan Venables basically having his career destroyed and his life turned upside down. And Venner's concussion was genuinely unintentional.

The long-term impact of concussions has the potential to destroy the game. If these sorts of bumps are going to be considered 'reckless' because they are 'part of the game', then the game won't last.

IMHO the AFL has to rule hits like that as intentional. De Goey makes no attempt to tackle, no attempt to spoil the ball... the bump was a choice, pure and simple.

Yes, I know I'm a West Coast supporter so will be seen as biased... but every time I hear about a young player being concussed I keep thinking of Dan Venables basically having his career destroyed and his life turned upside down. And Venner's concussion was genuinely unintentional.

The long-term impact of concussions has the potential to destroy the game. If these sorts of bumps are going to be considered 'reckless' because they are 'part of the game', then the game won't last.
You had me up till the last line.

Media hit job in progress. Yes he will get suspended, but jeez some of the comments are so over the top.
He hit a guy in the head after he got rid of the ball and he was substituted out due to concussion, and maybe a fracture as well? There aren't really any worse things a player can do on the field other than maybe king hitting someone

He’ll get 3 weeks. But some of the stuff that has been said is ridiculous on both sides. I wouldn’t say it was a cheap shot, some have said he was bracing himself for contact, he left the ground to bump and Stevie Johnson reckons it was accidental.

Not to forget tinfoil thommo just about blaming the kid

Media hit job in progress. Yes he will get suspended, but jeez some of the comments are so over the top.

Media hit job? The Sunday Footy Show was all the panellists saying it wasnt that bad and he shouldnt get much and defending DeGoey except for Cornes saying it was a weak act and he needs to be penalised severely.

I felt sick agreeing with Cornes, but he was 100% correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back