Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Super-mega-ultrathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Gary Ablett to Gold Coast considered a trade too?

It wasn't a trade between Gold Coast and Collingwood. It was a pick created by the AFL to compensate Collingwood for Josh Fraser signing with Gold Coast. It's exactly the same situation, expanded to include all clubs rather than just GWS and GC.

If geelong had lost ablett to gc for free agency all they would have got was one first round pick, where as with that compensation stuff they got 2. the rules are definitely different, but i'm not sure how different. In any case a third rounder is about what we can expect for lynch.

It wasn't a trade between Gold Coast and Collingwood. It was a pick created by the AFL to compensate Collingwood for Josh Fraser signing with Gold Coast. It's exactly the same situation, expanded to include all clubs rather than just GWS and GC.

As long as Lynch doesn't get de-listed it's a draft pick compensation.

I don't think the Eagles will, or necessarily have to, do much during trade week with the exception of those that want to leave. We know we need more run through the midfield, but Hill combined with potentially Brad Dick and Murray Newman as a choice of small forwards, LeCras will be able to take up more of a midfield role, which is what he was aiming for before his injury. With LeCras and Masten splitting time between the middle and half forward, I think we're close to having a midfield capable of going all the way.

I think someone has said the compensation for free agency players wont be as high as the GWS / GC uncontracted compensations were ie Ablett / Scully examples , so dont expect much for Lynchy or sign him up then trade him !o_O

I feel one of the weakness this year for us was our depth, most of our wafl player really when given the opportunity gave nothing.

I would scrap a lot from our rookies to our crap fringe players

Gone players
Lynch traded maybe.
Stevens traded
Dalziell
Stjik
Weedon
Stevenson
Neates
The rest can't remember names but players that offer nothing can go aswell.

Rookies to be replaced except Dick

McGovern and Turnbridge should be retained from the rookie list, McGovern may require an upgrade.

In red highlighted are 6 changes to our main list and thats about the max number of players we need to turn over.

Weedon and Wilson should be retained for another year. Both have shown something and Wilson picked up an ankle injury.

It will depend on what we get for Lynch and Stevens two picks between 30>40 is about right. We normally don't use late draft picks and our 1sr rounder is 16. So we use:

Pick 16
Pick 36 ish (2nd rounder - this could end up 40 with free agency compo picks)
Pick 32 (traded for Stevens)
Pick 40 (end of 2nd round compo pick for Lynch)
Pick 58ish our 3rd rounder

Thats 5 picks, do we really axe a Stevenson / Dalziell for a pick 76>80 pick??????

Where's Garlett likely to go in the draft?

Newman has a long way to go before he plays much AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference being that lynch has offered us a hell of a lot more over the last 2 years than fraser did for collingwood. He's also likely to offer a lot more to whoever takes him. Really think he's worth a second round compo pick. Remember thats 1 step between fraser and one below campbell brown.

It would. I don't think Garlett wants to stay in WA though nor should he. Too many "distractions". I think there will still be a couple very good mids available around 10-15. Slider types.
Ah yeh that's right.

Stevenson over Weedon, plz.
Totally agree!Weedon looks ok.His one on one bodywork in marking contests suggests to me he would be better value long term than Hill.Did somebody else say Dalziel was good backup for our mids?What are you smoking?Smith needs to be in our side.He has extreme pace and a thumping kick.He could fill the role Hunt has for Geelong.We need a pacy crumbing forward...Newman? We desperately need some size in the midfield.Look at the midfields of the top four and the Dockers{spit spit] all big bodies.Nicnat and Cox have papered over the cracks but not enough.Priddis should never be more than our fourth or fifth best mid.Maston just seems to wander along on the fringes without ever getting involved.Sometimes hes two or three metres from the guy with the ball and he makes no effort to tackle.I seriously think Waters should go into the guts.Of the top six sides i think our best are as good or better than anybodies but our worst are worse than anybodies.Butler Mcginnity Priddis Hill A.Sellwood Maston Lynch Emberly; yes theyve all done ok yes they have been good servants and yes they are not totally finished but that group of players wont win us grand finals.We need to be ruthless to take the next step.Otherwise we will be the new Bullies.NEARLY!!!!

I would of thought we would get a round 2 pick for lynch. Which would come after our pick in round 2 roughly 35-40 this year.

Would take that for Lynch. WC would likely offer their original second rounder and the Lynch compensation for a slight upgrade. Koby nets WC a 2nd rounder too. So, hopefully, WC have a pick in the teens and 2 picks in the early 30's.

Totally agree!Weedon looks ok.His one on one bodywork in marking contests suggests to me he would be better value long term than Hill.

I actually meant retain Stevenson over Weedon. I've got a lot of time for Stevenson, whereas I think Weedon is about a 25% chance to even make the grade.

Stevenson really has every attribute. He even had form. Elite kick, decent pace, big body (knows how to use it ohk these days as well).
There must be a reason he isn't getting a game but i really can't see why. Maybe more avid WAFL watchers can fill me in but im clueless. I have always been a fan though even when he got his first games for wce i wasn't happy when he got dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back