Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Super-mega-ultrathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be interesting to see if Conca resigns for 2014 ,if nothing happens at trade week this yr ..

also the rumour started on Rich board and Conca was signed already so it wasn`t as if he was pushing his price/value up for his contract which happens frequently ..

Gaff has already put on a hell of a lot of size and muscle definition. When he got to the club he looked like a 12 year old boy version of oscar the grouch. His shoulders, back and arms in particular are much bigger.

The side we have at the moment have a solid core of young players capable of playing finals for the next generation or so (being five or six years in this day and age in football terms etc etc) with a drop off from premiership contention come 2014/15 when the 2006 players inevitably fall away. Is the question that we should be asking of the list manager "should we take away a bit of future 'potential' for a bigger shot at the finals next year?"?.

My thoughts are that we should throw whatever we can at getting a flag in the next two years, while Glass, Kerr, Cox, Embley are still around. Whatever steps that can be taken to strengthen the side short term should be taken. Could be barking completely up the wrong bush at the moment, but I would love to think that a Kerr type, a Glass type, an Embley type and a Cox type would drop $100k out of their pay packets for the next couple of years in order to win another flag...

What would be the best outcome in this case? Throw our first two draft picks this year, maybe a fringe 22 player, at a struggling/rebuilding club for their best player (noting that in this scenario that we have an extra $400k in the salary cap from KGEC above)?

Without going into the full strength team as it stands which has been discussed ad nauseum, there is no one player in the AFL that could improve our forward six, back six or outside runners for the cost above. Our inside midfield is decent, pretty damn good actually, but it feels as though that is the one spot that can use some solid improvement.

So, taking my virgin drunken essay with endless rhetorical questions and flimsy reasoning as the truth, what awesome midfielder, or utility, is there floating around that we can throw six or seven hundred grand at?

The side we have at the moment have a solid core of young players capable of playing finals for the next generation or so (being five or six years in this day and age in football terms etc etc) with a drop off from premiership contention come 2014/15 when the 2006 players inevitably fall away. Is the question that we should be asking of the list manager "should we take away a bit of future 'potential' for a bigger shot at the finals next year?"?.

My thoughts are that we should throw whatever we can at getting a flag in the next two years, while Glass, Kerr, Cox, Embley are still around. Whatever steps that can be taken to strengthen the side short term should be taken. Could be barking completely up the wrong bush at the moment, but I would love to think that a Kerr type, a Glass type, an Embley type and a Cox type would drop $100k out of their pay packets for the next couple of years in order to win another flag...

What would be the best outcome in this case? Throw our first two draft picks this year, maybe a fringe 22 player, at a struggling/rebuilding club for their best player (noting that in this scenario that we have an extra $400k in the salary cap from KGEC above)?

Without going into the full strength team as it stands which has been discussed ad nauseum, there is no one player in the AFL that could improve our forward six, back six or outside runners for the cost above. Our inside midfield is decent, pretty damn good actually, but it feels as though that is the one spot that can use some solid improvement.

So, taking my virgin drunken essay with endless rhetorical questions and flimsy reasoning as the truth, what awesome midfielder, or utility, is there floating around that we can throw six or seven hundred grand at?
Welcome. There is one. Brendan Goddard.

Patronij1 said:
Welcome. There is one. Brendan Goddard.
Been thinking about this, and I certainly agree.

We could definitely use a big bodied midfielder and I think he could play that role for us very well, while also rotating back to give Hurn a chop-out and pushing forward to present as yet another mobile marking option. His excellent disposal and decision making would be a massive improvement over that of our current utility, Paddy Mac.

I'm not sure on what our salary cap situation is, but if Lynch were to leave as a free agent that should free up quite a bit of cash (but possibly not enough I realise). Could potentially backload his contract so the larger part of his salary is paid once one or more of the bigger contracts (Cox, Kerr, Glass) have finished.
Considering the other teams apparently seeking his signature are Essendon, Freo and obviously St Kilda, we could (possibly) lure him over on the basis of either winning, or getting damn close to, a flag.

I realise that it's incredibly unlikely, but if we really want a flag before Kerr, Glass and Cox retire, Goddard would be the perfect pickup for us.

Been thinking about this, and I certainly agree.

We could definitely use a big bodied midfielder and I think he could play that role for us very well, while also rotating back to give Hurn a chop-out and pushing forward to present as yet another mobile marking option. His excellent disposal and decision making would be a massive improvement over that of our current utility, Paddy Mac.

I'm not sure on what our salary cap situation is, but if Lynch were to leave as a free agent that should free up quite a bit of cash (but possibly not enough I realise). Could potentially backload his contract so the larger part of his salary is paid once one or more of the bigger contracts (Cox, Kerr, Glass) have finished.
Considering the other teams apparently seeking his signature are Essendon, Freo and obviously St Kilda, we could (possibly) lure him over on the basis of either winning, or getting damn close to, a flag.

I realise that it's incredibly unlikely, but if we really want a flag before Kerr, Glass and Cox retire, Goddard would be the perfect pickup for us.
100:1 odds but Goddard is our missing piece by size, skill and game style.

His old coach may offer a bigger attraction - they could use him after last night.

Our name hasn't been mentioned at all in the Goddard conversation. I doubt whether we have showed any interest tbh.

Having said that, he's be a great get. Great forward, great midfielder and great rebounding HBF'er (just in case)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bombers second round pick would be about pick 30 yeah? I'd do that.

Pick 32 im pretty sure.

But the word is he's only worth Essendons third rounder at pick 51.
url

Pick 32 im pretty sure.

But the word is he's only worth Essendons third rounder at pick 51.
url

It's funny how some Essendon fans rate him enough to want Stevens at their club, but at the same time talk so lowly of him so as to believe that a pick in the 50's would satisfy WC. Typical of BF to talk a player down so as to justify offering scraps, while wanting to trade him in because the reality is that the player wanted is significantly better than they put forward.

I was listening to ABC radio this morning and Ray Wilson from The West said he hears the Goddard ideally doesn't want to leave Melbourne. How true this is I'm not sure but I agree Goddard is the most desirable free agent for us, but the odds are small on us being able to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back