Demons dynasty vs. Hawks dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

If Essendon fans vote for us, I'll pretend that I think their 2000 premiership season team was the greatest of all ;)

Our dynasty hasn't even started yet, that'll only be happening in 2014! ;)

I am just saying that if you want to include Hawthorn pre 83 then include Melbourne of pre 54 :rolleyes: We were very strong in the 40's, triple premiers from 39-41 as well. Two can play this game mate. ;). By your reasoning Melbourne's dynasty was just as strong :)

Well, not really. Because Melbourne's triple premierships came in the opening years of the war and the 1948 flag came immediately after it when the competition was seriously depleted for obvious reasons. Essendon were clearly the dominant team in the VFL from the mid 40's through to 1951; the Dees were probably lucky to win '48 considering the bombers goalkicking in the drawn GF. Melbourne therefore did not exude a great level of dominance in the preceding decade to 54-60. Conversely, Hawthorn vied closely with North Melbourne to be the best team in the competition during the mid 70's; spent 3 years out of the finals before returning to the top 3 in 1982. Hawthorn certainly achieved sustained success from 1975-1991.

But for the record, 83-91 is better than 54-60 anyways.

5 premierships including a hat-trick and another double, 6 consecutive minor premierships, 7 consecutive Grand Finals, 3 more finals appearances and then 1 last flag...it's quite a simple answer.

Melbourne wins, hands down.

PS - yes, all Melbourne supporters are aware that this is all we can hang our hats on. ;)

And your are saying that even though they didn't win a flag for four years that those years should be included as part of a 'dynasty'??? You have rocks in your head mate......Stick to what we are talking about, and stick to the era where dominance was so prominent. Hawthorn 83-91, Melbourne 54-60. :rolleyes:

So the entire premise of the thread is to say that 5 is more than 4?

Didnt we already know that?

If you define it in a way that is designed to make Melbourne's the best, it will be. 5 flags in 6 years is great! Probably be impossible in the modern game, though.

Hawthorn, over a 16 year period won 7 flags, and never had more than 4 consecutive years without premiership. We also had to beat some seriously good teams over that period, Carlton, Essendon and then Geelong and West Coast all put together seriously good teams during that period.

Incidentally, think about who ended that run of Melbourne's by winning the 1961 flag :)

So the entire premise of the thread is to say that 5 is more than 4?

Didnt we already know that?

You were persistent in introducing flags from previous decades, i.e. 76 & 78 :rolleyes:

I just decided to stick to my guns and say our run was better over that period, but since you want to bring all sorts of other stuff into it, i thought id snap back with a few stats as well. :)

If you define it in a way that is designed to make Melbourne's the best, it will be. 5 flags in 6 years is great! Probably be impossible in the modern game, though.

Hawthorn, over a 16 year period won 7 flags, and never had more than 4 consecutive years without premiership. We also had to beat some seriously good teams over that period, Carlton, Essendon and then Geelong and West Coast all put together seriously good teams during that period.

Incidentally, think about who ended that run of Melbourne's by winning the 1961 flag :)

Thats cool, so did Melbourne, from 48-64 we won 7 flags :rolleyes:

You can only beat who you are up against mate.....

Hawthorn; Premiers in 83,86,88,89. Grand Finalists in 84,85,87. Appeared in 7 straight grand finals and won 4.

Melbourne; Premiers in 55,56,57,59,60. Grand Finalists in 54,58. Appeared in 7 straight grand finals and won 5.

Can this finally be settled?

;)

Carlton: Premiers in 06,07,08,14,15
Runner up 2 times (3 times including 1916)
5 flags in 9 years. (back when they were actually flags)
Including the first hat-trick, and an second back to back.

I mean if we're going back in time...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were persistent in introducing flags from previous decades, i.e. 76 & 78 :rolleyes:

I just decided to stick to my guns and say our run was better over that period, but since you want to bring all sorts of other stuff into it, i thought id snap back with a few stats as well. :)

So you're saying that five is more than four.

Well done.

Well, not really. Because Melbourne's triple premierships came in the opening years of the war and the 1948 flag came immediately after it when the competition was seriously depleted for obvious reasons. Essendon were clearly the dominant team in the VFL from the mid 40's through to 1951; the Dees were probably lucky to win '48 considering the bombers goalkicking in the drawn GF. Melbourne therefore did not exude a great level of dominance in the preceding decade to 54-60. Conversely, Hawthorn vied closely with North Melbourne to be the best team in the competition during the mid 70's; spent 3 years out of the finals before returning to the top 3 in 1982. Hawthorn certainly achieved sustained success from 1975-1991.

But for the record, 83-91 is better than 54-60 anyways.

Melbourne were the most depleted team of all following WW2, and yet we were still smashing everyone.

Essendon were largely war-avoiders, particularly dick reynolds, and that is part of the reason people consider his legacy to have an asterisk.

Melbourne were the most depleted team of all following WW2, and yet we were still smashing everyone.

Essendon were largely war-avoiders, particularly dick reynolds, and that is part of the reason people consider his legacy to have an asterisk.

Sometimes this place is like an institution for the ill at ease and not quite rights.

As a Melbourne supporter, I am embarrassed that this thread exits.

It goes without saying that Hawthorns achievements are incomparable to whatever our club did in the Stone Age.

As a Melbourne supporter, I am embarrassed that this thread exits.

It goes without saying that Hawthorns achievements are incomparable to whatever our club did in the Stone Age.

You can only play in your specific era mate, and for us, we dominated that era. I am looking at it as an era by era thing, and we smashed the 50's. Just because it was so long ago does not matter, we were still there and still winning. All you can do is win em.

You can only play in your specific era mate, and for us, we dominated that era. I am looking at it as an era by era thing, and we smashed the 50's. Just because it was so long ago does not matter, we were still there and still winning. All you can do is win em.

You've asked the question, and most have gone against your view including Melbourne supporters. So basically you're right, and everyone else is wrong.

No doubt they are 2 of the greatest teams of all time.

Statistically though, its obviously Melbourne.

Oh and contextually its Melbourne too.

So yeah, Melbourne. Won more flags in harder circumstances in a more convincing fashion. End.

Remove this Banner Ad

Demons dynasty vs. Hawks dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back